Easy mode incoming

Alley_Cat_8633

On 12.2.2022 at 5:28 AM, Studfox said:

On one hand, adding an easier mode opens up the game to the more initially intimidated players and widens your reach. If you want your story to reach more eyes, this seems like a good move

On the other hand, building an extremely punishing action game was the main premise of your game. How easy is this new easy mode? If it takes away the edge having to do multiple runs to perfect a level does that take away from the core tenets of the game?

I see no problem with an easy mode in any game. 

If YOU like the challenge, just do the hardest mode, and let everyone else who wants, play on easy :)

Just add an extreme diff trophy, so those who does the hardest mode, gets a reward for it. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, TomataEighty9 said:

I see no problem with an easy mode in any game. 

If YOU like the challenge, just do the hardest mode, and let everyone else who wants, play on easy :)

Just add an extreme diff trophy, so those who does the hardest mode, gets a reward for it. 

100% agree that I have no problem with easy modes in games and that adding an extreme difficulty trophy would make all of this a non-issue.

I hate using dark souls as an example because I feel the comparison is used to death nowadays from game journalists but the souls genre sets out to make the games extremely difficult and needing multiple attempts to learn the play-style and flow of combat as well as the way certain enemies/boss' fight. This is central to these types of games, if Demon Souls or Dark Souls had an easy mode at release it is debatable wether they would have grown to be as prolific as they are now in my opinion. 

It seems like the developers of Sifu were trying to emulate this by making the game extremely punishing and adding the aging to have an added consequence to losing, as well as having trophies for completing the game at younger ages.

I guess my point above is that if they didn't ship it with different difficulty settings, then making the game difficult was a core part of the experience they wanted players to have. So does making the game easy change how people will interpret the story and will this change drastically from how the developers intended for people to play it?

I'm just playing devils advocate here, Sifu looks really interesting to me but I'm not looking to dive into that punishing of a game atm ? 

• Like 1

we need to get rid of difficulty selection altogether.. one difficulty, beat the game or dont. im sick of modern gaming having a giant arrow telling you to go here, do this, do that.

maybe im just a boomer or having a midlife crisis, but i miss having to actually figure stuff out by reading dialogue or experimenting. 

im pretty close to just quitting gaming all together.. but i just found my ps1, ps2 i might go back and play the classics for a bit.

Edit: 

With accessibility options i do agree 100% with. but what doesnt need to be accessible is trophy lists, its an optional thing.

Edited by offdutysuperhero
added more
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, offdutysuperhero said:

we need to get rid of difficulty selection altogether.. one difficulty, beat the game or dont. im sick of modern gaming having a giant arrow telling you to go here, do this, do that.

maybe im just a boomer or having a midlife crisis, but i miss having to actually figure stuff out by reading dialogue or experimenting. 

im pretty close to just quitting gaming all together.. but i just found my ps1, ps2 i might go back and play the classics for a bit.

Edit: 

With accessibility options i do agree 100% with. but what doesnt need to be accessible is trophy lists, its an optional thing.

One difficulty is absolutely terrible idea. One group would be complaining the game is too easy, another group complaining they can't beat the XY level. Some people enjoy easy gaming to relax after work/when kids are asleep, some people prefer a challenge and repeating one section of the game multiple times to figure it out on their own. We all play games for different reasons, that's why there are different difficulty options included and have been for decades.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, theSpirae said:

One difficulty is absolutely terrible idea. One group would be complaining the game is too easy, another group complaining they can't beat the XY level. Some people enjoy easy gaming to relax after work/when kids are asleep, some people prefer a challenge and repeating one section of the game multiple times to figure it out on their own. We all play games for different reasons, that's why there are different difficulty options included and have been for decades.

trophy hunting has become sad, the leaderboards are a joke and just come down to who has the most time available per day.. instead of playing decent skilled games, the sad day that trophies became participation awards, the push for easy modes = easy trophy lists. 

future of gaming = ai auto plays for you.

• Like 1

As someone whose been playing Sifu since early access so for a good 10 days now and just today beaten the third boss and done a good chunk of the fourth level, I can say yes the game is kinda difficult but not impossible it’s as some of the reviews say ‘Practise Makes Perfect’.

Now when I read about the difficulty my first reaction was tbh disappointment but at the same time understanding of the decision.

Not to make excuses for myself here but whenever I did play the game I did find myself not getting very far still kinda struggling but not being downright awful, what also didn’t help was my game sessions didn’t really last longer than say 30 to 40 minutes due to just having other commitments.

However once I did have more time and did play more you really do get better I mean it’s supposed to be difficult it’s a rogue game and even the PlayStation blog of site had tips and tricks from the developers so help ease you in.

To me Sifu having a difficulty doesn’t quite fit I see it as one main challenge to complete and once you get your revenge you free to try other ways of playing the game as the skill gap would have massively improved by the time you finish the story. 

I am genuinely baffled by people using Souls as the 'hard ' game? Most players I encounter on dark souls, tell me shoot the dragons tail off and you get this sword pump all your stats into strength to use it. I am not kidding the number of players who did this or knew this, I don't think all these people just happened to do it, they obviously looked up guides, I see numerous people doing things like getting people to drop the harder rings to get or asking for MP carries. There's also the people who are like soul level 200+ because they just duped the crap out of souls. The souls games have hundreds of guides abuse and ways to glitch. I literally don't think anything if I see a souls game on a persons trophy list. 100% spelunky and the I will be impressed. 

But looking at this its obvious people would have just enjoyed souls more if there was a lower difficulty option rather than having to find exploits and glitches. The souls fanbase is so freaking "hardcore" people are just scared to voice their own opinions on difficulty. 

Every game plays best when the difficulty curve matches the learning curve and from what most people are saying about sifu, for the average gamer there's a point where it feels like you run face first into a wall.

2 hours ago, Superbuu3 said:

I am genuinely baffled by people using Souls as the 'hard ' game? Most players I encounter on dark souls, tell me shoot the dragons tail off and you get this sword pump all your stats into strength to use it. I am not kidding the number of players who did this or knew this, I don't think all these people just happened to do it, they obviously looked up guides, I see numerous people doing things like getting people to drop the harder rings to get or asking for MP carries. There's also the people who are like soul level 200+ because they just duped the crap out of souls. The souls games have hundreds of guides abuse and ways to glitch. I literally don't think anything if I see a souls game on a persons trophy list. 100% spelunky and the I will be impressed.

That's why it's best to hunt trophies for your own satisfaction and not to impress others because people will never appreciate the effort you put into it.

I am interested in this game, however, I don’t like playing games that makes me frustrated playing them, I either play easy or normal depends on my mode and the type of game. I only play hard mode when there is a trophy for it and I want to platinum the game. I have to love the game if I am going to do it.  When I heard this game is difficult I lost all interest. 

On 12/02/2022 at 2:05 PM, mega-tallica said:

I don't understand why people get so upset when they simply add the option. The more options, the better. It's not like they're taking away the original difficulty and it's being replaced by an easy difficulty, that would be a different story. Nobody's stopping you from playing it with 'the original difficulty the developers intended'. Don't worry about how others play, it literally does not matter and shouldn't matter. And if that makes the trophy list less 'prestigious' or whatever because people will be playing it on easy.... so what? 

I thought I was a trophy hunter but you guys are next level if you're complaining about this. All you care about is trophies and trophy rarity and not the games themselves, I'd say you've lost the plot and point of all this if that is your priority. 

Amen. 

• Like 2

You should just use the time to play and not constantly discuss things that you can't change anyway. Those aren't the only things that have broken in the meantime. The whole trophy system is soft. Can you accept it and still have fun with it, or constantly discuss and compete with others, but it won't change the situation either. It is best to focus on your own profile and the performance behind it than to constantly look at others. And if other people just enjoy playing easy games, you should be treated to it.

• Like 1

I'm just wondering what they mean by a harder mode.

I know Jinfeng and Yang's structure bars regenerate but what if all enemies and bosses do too? Or something like beat the game without using shrines at age 30 or below.

P.S. I say 30 to give the player some leeway but I could see them again making it 25 or below.

Edited by Taizuke

If this game had an easy difficulty it would be 2 hours long and then people would  complain that it is too short. You can't win here. Someone will always complain.

I just started the game(got game over at the end of 3rd level) and honestly kinda confused what the fuzz is about. Are people that unwilling to learn the game nowadays? Before I started I thought when you died at boss, you need to get to the boss again, like in dark souls, while also becoming older. Turns out you just revive mid-fight. The game already saves your best age and has shortcuts, what else does it need? To play itself?

• Like 1

On 12/02/2022 at 4:28 AM, Studfox said:

On one hand, adding an easier mode opens up the game to the more initially intimidated players and widens your reach. If you want your story to reach more eyes, this seems like a good move

On the other hand, building an extremely punishing action game was the main premise of your game. How easy is this new easy mode? If it takes away the edge having to do multiple runs to perfect a level does that take away from the core tenets of the game?

Or yeah just play the game and have fun lol

2 hours ago, Vern3r0z said:

Is this game even that hard? Looking at the plat %, they are both at 20%. What am i missing here?

There are several reasons for this:

1. The game's reputation attracts dedicated players.

2. The game is short and there's not much to do after beating the final boss.

3. After putting in all the effort to master the combat, it's a natural thing to go for the platinum, so you don't waste the skills you just acquired.

4. Bragging rights?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Domino_Destructo said:

There are several reasons for this:

1. The game's reputation attracts dedicated players.

2. The game is short and there's not much to do after beating the final boss.

3. After putting in all the effort to master the combat, it's a natural thing to go for the platinum, so you don't waste the skills you just acquired.

4. Bragging rights?

Is there USB save scumming in this game? That could also explain the percentages.