What's your honest opinions on Stray?

Lucibur

3 hours ago, plafix68 said:

That's a really good strategy. I didn't even think about that. I took a few days off in between first playthrough and speedrun so my memory was a little rusty in some spots. I got the trophy just barely.

I was planning on doing a full playthrough straight after but was worried i was going to forget a few parts. Doing it 1 chapterat a time made me not use a guide for speedrun at all and felt much nicer than looking at my phone every few minutes

Glad you got it dude

i loved the story, the world and the interactions. the only thing that kind of bothered me (which doesn’t normally bother me at all in a game) was the animations of the cat. the meowing looks weird, the lack of fur texture really bothers me (considering the actual game looks amazing) and the ability to yeet chairs and other “heavy” objects around like it’s nothing are super minor tho. i love, it’s amazing, and being able to constantly meow is fantastic

An amazing little game. Huge attention to detail, especially in the animation of the cat and the NPCs, well-constructed locations and an intriguing plot with a lot of potential. They say the best stories leave you wanting more. Stray did just that to me. The only big issue is the size along with the lack of extras. 8/10

• Like 1

It’s good. Though I think a little under developed in some ways. I’d like to see what they’d do with a sequel.

Puzzles are very superficial. Stealth is kind of meaningless most places, you can dart through many of the sentinels and they’ll lose you by the time they try to shoot. Jumping sucks honestly it can be really finicky at times, I wish there was an actual manual jump it would make the chance parts more fun. Even if the jump would be superficial otherwise and it still did the ‘locked’ platforming sections. 

I just never got to feel the flow of being a cat running around because of how the game dealt with the jumping mechanics. Even doing it more like Assassin’s Creed would’ve felt more fun. But it’s still a good game for what it is. I think if you were not a cat then the game would show its flaws far more. Shows how important a good hook/gimmick can be really.

• Like 2

I thought it was a great game.  I liked playing as the cat and the general atmosphere/presentation of the world.  My one complaint was that the "combat" sections were a misstep and not really what I wanted from this game.  They weren't overly difficult for the most part, but they were kind of annoying.

• Like 1

I struggled really badly with the never getting caught during the first encounter with the headcrab creatures, I didn't think I'd ever get it.. And yet I did, now I'm having to put the most effort into the scratching trophy.. Wow.

It was a solid experience for sure, but I wasn't blown away by it.

I think they could have made platforming sequences a bit more involved, as the game was a little too easy for my taste in platformers. It's definitely a unique setting and I would like to see more in a sequel. I will admit I was disappointed that there were not more cats after the first 5 minutes (makes sense why, but still kinda lame). Would have been cool to see them incorporate a cat's hunting skills into gameplay.

• Like 1

I liked the overall atmosphere and the fact that it's an actual cat game. The animations during gameplay and cut scenes are not perfect but they give you that "hey, I'm watching a cute cat video" vibe. The way you can play with other cats in the beginning, the fact that you can jump on things you have no reason being on or that they even made the very cat-like pushing objects over the ledge part of the puzzles - it felt like playing as an actual cat, instead of something that looks like a cat but is humanized as much as possible. The fetch quests though, the "give me this, I'll give you that" crap kills some of the cute catness and at those moments, they could've just swapped the cat model for literally anything else, wouldn't have made a difference. 

In the end, I have a bit mixed feelings about the game. I think I would've liked it more if it was only jumping, running from things and just a cat being a cat, without "talking", door codes and killer flashlights. 

Still, had fun and it was short enough to not overstay its welcome, which is something I really dislike in games and unfortunately it happens quite often. 

Really hated the trophies though, on multiple levels... 

• Like 1

Press O to Meow

That is all I need to say.... I'm joking, in my honest opinion this is my favorite game of 2022 so far, I've said it before but Stray is one of the only games in recent years I've brought day 1 and played for an entire day, normally I'll get bored and put it off for months but I loved this game so much, couldn't help but explore, interact with robots in the world and just being a pain in the butt! you know? normal cat stuff.

The last few minutes of the game I couldn't help but feel sad, the relationship between B12 and the Cat was really sweet and that ending... I didn't want to get up.

(Also yeah... why the 9 lives trophy >.<)

• Like 2

It's bait and switch. Everyone I know and read articles from was expecting a chill messenger/delivery service game. I considered it would be more of an "emotions" game as we watched the robots groan about their lives, Night in the Woods style stuff. More of an interactive/visual novel than a game.

Then we get this light platforming thing about the demise of human civilization and not all that much care on the character you play as or the plague and the zurks or how the robot populacce lives. It's just so damn vague about everything except having side characters sacrifice themselves at every corner for you. 

I thought Momo was gonna die in the sewers. Abzalatar is basically dead in a self-induced meditation coma. You know what happens to Clementine and B12. But what happens to the cat?  

I don't think it was worth the $30 entry. 

• Like 1

+ Fantastic presentation

+ Super Cute Cat Game

+ Interesting setting

+ Many interactions and lots of NPCs

- Story and characters lack depth, still enjoyable

- Too easy and flat gameplay

- Animations sometimes look weird (e.g. item to pick up magically flies into cat's mouth)

- Personally, I would have enjoyed free jumping more than this locked jumps mechanic

I liked the game a lot. I would've been disappointed, if I had paid full price. But for 30 bucks, this was a very enjoyable and cute experience with a fantastic presentation. I'd love to see a sequel with extended gameplay in the future.

• Like 1

So far its probably my 3rd favourite game of the year behind Elden Ring and Citizen Sleeper, and I really enjoyed it - 8/10. I really liked what I've played of Neon White, too, but I haven't played enough of it to evaluate it fairly, so for now Stray takes the third spot. It roughly matched my expectations; didn't blow me away, but definitely was a good game with positives outweighing the negatives.

Beyond the "omg cats" craze - which I'm all behind as a cat dad - I'm an utter sucker for Cyberpunk aesthetic, and Blue Twelve absolutely nailed it. I'm a big fan of Cyberpunk 2077, but my main criticism is that the world didn't feel Cyberpunk-y enough in certain spots. This neon dripped, Kowloon-esque world was pretty immersive and looks beautiful - my favourite Cyberpunk setting. I was surprised - in a good way - how dark the world is tonally. Although its not a horror game by any stretch, I'm glad they didn't go too cutesy; the atmosphere was quite unsettling and bleak, which I liked given the story's themes. I also really liked the fact that they integrated some verticality into the world design, suited the cat platforming mechanics. I felt the townships/villages/towns were actually very well done, and although you don't have extensive interaction with them, the robots and their ironic human-like fear of mortality was interesting. The world felt pretty human, even though humanity has somewhat left this place. 

Story-wise, there is little there to be truthful. Its a simple "quest for freedom" story which served its purpose - I liked certain characters (Momo, primarily) but Stray didn't really go anywhere unique, nor do anything special. Story isn't a selling point of the game, but is "fine" and not a detriment to the game neither.

My main issue with the game is the combat encounters aren't fun, at all, and the Zurks seem sort of a weird "antagonist" choice. They feel more suited to being a unique single-level enemy variant, but are the threat throughout the whole game as the only threat. I'd have preferred something akin to a "good vs. bad AI" robot civil war scenario than the plague-like Zurks. They were visually and mechanically very dull. I also like stealth in games (chapter 10 was a favourite) but I did not like all the chase sequences that naturally derived from these antagonists. It's the main thing holding the game back, despite my overall positive "review". 

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 3

I liked a lot the game,i think that a platformer with point and click stuff with friendly puzzles is a good fresh air, i loved the plot, story development, and yes, the music is just outstanding because every single track covers the relationship between the cat and the other things in the enviroment. Graphics are great.

I think its a great game, i dont expect to be a second part, but thats ok, its a great option to play for ps plus collection.

• Like 2

The whole game just felt half-baked to me. Too short and too easy of a game to really get engaged in it but I like the premise and vibe just I feel like there's a lot of untapped potential. Nice, easy going game to get done on a weekend though. Just wish the gameplay was more engaging and had some more depth to it, not just running and jumping on things and solving trivial puzzles for 3 hours. The gameplay is too shallow and boring to carry the deep narrative story this game is trying to tell. As short as the game is, I still felt bored of it by Chapter 10. 

5/10 game all day long for me but "LOOK AT THE CUTE CAT!! 10/10!!!! GOTY!!" lol

• Like 4

On 7/29/2022 at 5:05 PM, Cassylvania said:

I'm liking it so far. They need more games where you play as a cat.

Going to make it your 500th platinum?

Cat Quest 1&2

Catlateral Damage and Catlateral Damage Remeowstered.

Honestly enjoyed all those way more than Stray.

You can probably tell I didn't like it at all by my trophies, I expected a platformer and that kinda killed it for me. It's just a puzzle/walking sim basically. I thought it'd have more free roam and ability to jump wherever. Jumps being so limited to was the biggest reason I didn't like it. A jump button but you can only use it when the game allows you to on designated spots...