CONTROL 2 Officially Announced by Remedy (PS5)

ziggypossum

It was always a matter of 'when' this would be announced and not 'if'. Control got Remedy a lot of respect despite the relatively mid-sales. They received a lot of investment and partner projects after this solid single player game released. Even Rockstar made amends after the Max Payne fallout.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 1

Have to say, mixed feelings on this. Part of me says “cool!” That’s the part that enjoyed Control for what it was on the surface (a mostly competent Metroidvania with a serial numbers filed off version of the SCP Foundation.) Another part says “uh oh.” That’s the part that enjoyed Control for what it was underneath (a stealth sequel to Alan Wake and a set up for a proper Alan Wake 2.)

I’m a little concerned that Remedy may be overextending themselves, or potentially further delaying what I’ve already been begging them for for twelve years. I guess time will tell.

Still… it can’t be as bad as Quantum Break, right? [Insert Padme meme, here.] Right?! ?

Figured this would have already been in development. I didn't love the first game, the gameplay was fun and the environment was unique...but the story was a mess and very confusing at times so it was hard for me to stay invested. But I liked it enough that I'd play a sequel. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eraezr said:

It was always a matter of 'when' this would be announced and not 'if'. Control got Remedy a lot of respect despite the relatively mid-sales. They received a lot of investment and partner projects after this solid single player game released. Even Rockstar made amends after the Max Payne fallout.

That’s just cause Rockstar wants to get money from old franchises that were popular and they ROYALLY fucked up Max Payne 3. 1 and 2 were all time classics, they need Remedy when it comes to Max Payne.

• Like 1

To put that 50 million Euro budget into perspective, the first game was made for 30 million. Good increase. Also in Remedy's last quarterly earning call the CEO quoted that "we are planning to launch at least one new game per year from 2023 through 2025". Alan Wake II is 2023, I'm thinking Max Payne remakes are 2024, Control 2 could very well be 2025.

9 hours ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

That’s just cause Rockstar wants to get money from old franchises that were popular and they ROYALLY fucked up Max Payne 3. 1 and 2 were all time classics, they need Remedy when it comes to Max Payne.

Now if only they'd apply this line of thinking to a PS5 port for RDR2...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

The first one is amazing. I can go for this. Looks like I'll be double dipping on PC and PS5 versions. Control does Metroidvania better than Metroid or CSOTN, IMO. The mix of gunplay and telekinetic throwing is done so well.

Are we looking at a possible GOTY for 2024? 1f638.png

I agree that the gameplay options in Control are great. I guess it’s technically a metroidvania-style game, but I don’t really think of it that way. I think of it more as a standard action-adventure game with a semi-open world. You can revisit previous areas of the Bureau, but your ability to progress isn’t generally gated by gaining more powers or anything like that.

Edited by F1rstinFlight

2 hours ago, F1rstinFlight said:

Where did you get the idea that Control is a metroidvania? That’s not true at all..

At least partially true. It ticks at least some of the boxes if not all. Certain areas start off being unreachable. You eventually get something like a security card or a skill so you can reach them. There is some exploring. Sometimes a secret room will give you an ability point just for finding it.

• Like 1