Future Goals & Aspirations

LancashireLad87

@Infected Elite @KindaSabbath @Gommes_ @Thedah @FreshFromThaDeli @Yuber6969 @Copanele @Groudon9000

Bone-Shark-Jaws-Open.jpg

Breaking News!!! Yesterday evening the lad of Lancashire all but secured his 96th platinum trophy, Maneater on the PlayStation 4. I've wanted to play this game for a while because it looked fun to play, and I like sharks so it was a perfect fit for me. I picked up a new copy off Ebay UK for 16 quid which included a code for the Truth Quest DLC called the Apex Edition. After skimming through the PSNP trophy guide to check for any miss-able trophies I launched the game up and began my Man-eating journey as a baby shark.   

The premise of the game is very simple, avenge your mother by killing "Scaly Pete" the games antagonist. Each region you visit will have you perform more or less the same tasks such as, consume x amount of fish/humans, kill the apex predator of the region and search for various landmarks/collectibles along the way whilst progressing the games narrative. The gameplay can get a little repetitive at times but for what it's worth I enjoyed the game, regrettably you're unable to remap the controls, you have to press R2 to bite which would have been less taxing on my hands if it was remapped.

The Truth DLC added time trials, and an absolute monster of a final boss which for a while kicked my arse. The time trials were a welcome change of pace, it was fun trying to swim through a bunch of sonic rings whilst using a modified shark. Everything you do within the game whether your killing humans, fish or finding collectibles your rewarded with mutagens and minerals which are used to upgrade your shark's performance. You can unlock various heads, fins and other pieces of a shark's anatomy by fulfilling certain requirements.

There are 13 time trials in total, and they're quite challenging especially the ones where you have to perform multiple breaches over bridges, if you miss one  you might as well restart! After completing all the time trials in my personal opinion I believe the hardest time trial is for Deep Float, as always I've taken the liberty of recording my run so you can watch it for yourself, it's not perfect but it got the job done!

The final battle of the DLC pits you against M.O.L.O.C.H, a genetically modified Pliosaur. This fight was not easy by any means, this thing is at least 2.5 times the size of a level 40 mega shark and it hits like a freight train. You'd think it would be easy to out-swim but you'd be wrong! I tried several different builds and non of them worked until I tried the following combination; Head: Bone (Tier 5), Body: Atomic (Tier 5), Teeth: Shadow (Tier 5), Tail: Bone (Tier 5), Fins: Bone (Tier 5). As for organs I used; Hearty (Tier 5), Reinforced Cartilage (Tier 5), Disorientating Sonar (Tier 5), and Healing factor (Tier 5).

I've purposely left 2 trophies away from the platinum trophy so I can save it for next years platinum difficulty challenge. All I have to do is to defeat some humans and I'll be immediately thrown into a duel against the Infamy level 10 boss which will net me both trophies once he's down for the count. The PSNP trophy guide rates the game's difficulty as a 2/10 and a 12 hour platinum journey whilst the DLC trophy guide adds an additional 5 hours and up's the difficulty to a 3/10.

According to my save data I've spent just shy of 18 hours on Maneater so I'm actually slower than the estimated time, I feel so dirty lol Personally I think the 100% is between 3-4/10 because of the time trials and unless you look it up, M.O.L.O.C.H is a pain in the arse to beat. I'm happy to add this platinum to my collection and I'll catch you guys in the next one!

Edited by LancashireLad87
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Rebourne07 said:

Nice, doing your 10 beforehand and popping it in 2024. Great strategy. I'm doing that with a few of my games right now too, not my 10, but a few of the longer ones to speed up progress. Cool write up on The Evil Within, seems hard as heck lol

8 hours ago, Gotakibono said:

Amazing work and congratulations on having the skills and patience to get Akumu done! Love the write-up as well, always enjoy seeing such posts on the forum. 

I'm sure if this old fool can get through it with determination, both of you gentlemen would have no problem doing it either! I'm aiming to do 2 lists again for the platinum challenge, so one list will be fresh and the other will be mostly wrapped up by the end of the year. Not sure if I'm counting it as my 10/10 though, I plan to release a community poll for the big 100th platinum but I need to return to Street Fighter 6 after I wrap up both Kurayami playthroughs, I guess I'll chill for a few days, and return to my Minecraft world.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Congrats on sign plat, the MOM grind is real, did it last week and it gets boring pretty fast. For Potemkin fight I used poison mist that for me worked better than Calvados bomb, and since I got it several times doing all the runs (poison mist) the cooldown time was pretty fast, you just need to keep attacking him and even if he covers the poison will kill him pretty fast.

And yeah, the PSNP guide about MOM mode is very poor.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, LancashireLad87 said:

Well done. I played this as a kid back on the N64. I found it so difficult I could never complete the later races. I found the remaster to be a lot easier but that probably has something to do with the better controls.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FreshFromThaDeli said:

Well done. I played this as a kid back on the N64. I found it so difficult I could never complete the later races. I found the remaster to be a lot easier but that probably has something to do with the better controls.

Your probably a lot better at games than you were as a kid to be fair ^^ I thought I was good at Crash Team Racing back in the day as a teenager, boy was I wrong!

• Like 1

Damn, one day I will have to finally play this series 😆 i bought the PS4 collection but i haven't touched it yet.

Big congrats! Ninja Gaiden does look like a fun skill based action h&s which I should definitely enjoy. Was thinking that, considering the combat, technicalities and the same dev team, you would really enjoy Nioh. Combat can really get bonkers there too!

Also Ayane is in the game??? Even more reason to start the series then!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

Damn, one day I will have to finally play this series 😆 i bought the PS4 collection but i haven't touched it yet.

Big congrats! Ninja Gaiden does look like a fun skill based action h&s which I should definitely enjoy. Was thinking that, considering the combat, technicalities and the same dev team, you would really enjoy Nioh. Combat can really get bonkers there too!

Also Ayane is in the game??? Even more reason to start the series then!

The PS4 version of Sigma 2 is way easier than its PS3 counterpart and the trials were tuned very well! Even on Master Ninja you can still get one-shot grabbed (iirc?) unless I just completely phased that out from memory. Razor's Edge on the other hand I found more annoying as while Team Ninja claimed to have 'nerfed' the trials to be able to do solo, some of them, especially on Ultimate Ninja difficulty, felt like they weren't touched at all. So....yeah. 

Tl;dr

Play Sigma 2, great game, but skip Razor's Edge if you value your sanity as Ultimate Ninja difficulty is BS to the highest merit.

• Like 1

Very nice! I'm SO glad to hear the online was slashed from the trophy list. Imo this makes the PS4 version a more worthy achievement, since it's all on you.

The Ps3 ver, while great, has the worst try-hard BS of making the hardest trophies online, and requiring you to tag up with someone from the NG community.

Save for some peeps who are kind to help like Sergen, a lot of the NG community is filled with trash, who won't wait for you to "git gud." So you're stuck with cheesing it and hoping you meet a kind soul who will tag along. It's just not a fun challenge.

@Copanele I would recommend you play NGS2. Imo it's leagues better than the first one in terms of gameplay. The first one is ok, but you can tell they were first starting out with the formula, kind of like how DMC1 started good and DMC3 perfected it so much more.

• Like 1