What is your GOTY 2023?

ValhoZero

For me it's tough between two games, Hogwarts Legacy and Marvel's Spider-Man 2. These are by far the best 2023 release games I have played, I have achieved the platinum trophy for both. I think I would edge Spider-Man 2 though, the combat is more fun than in Hogwarts and I really enjoy the storytelling in the Marvel games, particularly the trio of Spider-Man games. Can't wait for Spider-Man 3 to come out. But yeah, one of those two games for sure.

• Like 2

For me it's Final Fantasy XVI, I had some expectations but I did not expect it to be my favourite game of the year.

I loved the characters, the music, the combat and normally I am not big fan of NG+ trophies but this time playing the game on Final Fantasy mode elevated the game for me, hell even when I was done I couldn't stop thinking about it.

• Like 3

I only played two games from 2023 - RE4 and Lies of P

Lies of P was the game I'd been waiting for the most since seeing the trailer a couple of years ago. Wasn't disappointed at all and clear GOTY for me. Most fun I've had with a game in ages.

• Like 1

easy answer, Final Fantasy 16, this game is a combination of the old and new God of War games with a Game of Thrones style story, the scale is incredible, characters are very well crafted, voice actors do an amazing job, it's just a spectacular game all around

Edited by EDGES
  • Like 3

Played most of the AAA releases this year and the the only one I look back on for GOTY for me is RE4. Sea of Stars is the runner up, though not AAA. 

Dead Space remake was a close third. Spiderman was good, but same old same old. Alan Wake 2 was vastly overrated. (Prepared to get flamed)

• Like 1

Hogwarts Legacy, it's what I am playing now and other than persona 3 portable, these two are the only 2023 releases I even played this year. I used powerpyx for persona, so it's Howarts Legacy, the guide is very comprehensive too, especially like the way it has photos. 

• Like 2

Pretty light year for new games, probably played less than 10 games that were released in 2023.

But out of those 10 or so I did play, Hogwarts Legacy is pretty clearly the best game I've played in 2023. Alan Wake II is the only one that I could make an argument for otherwise. I loved it when I was playing it. A great immersive story but looking back, the gameplay is a little lacking and I don't see myself jumping to play it again anytime soon, or ever. Doesn't really have high replay-ability and has all the makings of a one-and-done for me. Hogwarts Legacy, on the other hand, was the full package and I'm looking to go back and play it again soon. Beautiful world design that stayed true to the source material, great gameplay, decent enough story for an RPG but it was really the world design and gameplay that put it over the top. 

• Like 2