Microsoft Games Are Going Third Party (Hi-Fi Rush/Pentiment/Sea of Thieves/Grounded release dates confirmed)

Rozalia1

I guess its not that I don't care as such, its more I have no awareness or real visibility of Microsoft. It doesnt mean anything to me beyond recognising it as a brand name. I live in the UK, started gaming all those years ago with Artari, then Sega and then Playstation (sprinkled with a brief interlude of Nintendo's Gameboy and Wii). Microsoft has never been part of my gaming circle nor my in real life mates' circles. So no real reference point. It just has no presence here in Essex lol.

What I'm hoping it does mean is that I get to play some new IP's. Playstation seems to have welded itself to remakes and sequels as its flagship games for this generation of console and, personally, I hate it. Even if a remake of my favourite game ever comes along, I still would have ZERO interest in playing it because, guess what, Ive already played it. So if this means I personally get to play entirely new IP's on my PS5 down the line, then I'm all for it.

• Like 3

Until official communication I don't see the reason for a heated discussion of this proportion.

I said at day one of Bethesda's acquisition that it makes no financial sense to keep those games on Xbox and have it all Day 1 on Gamepass. So seeing Tango and id games coming back to multiplatform comes as no surprise to me. These rumors (if true)... are Not A Big Deal.

I firmly believe that Microsoft should release their traditionally multiplatform games as multiplatform (established franchises like Pillars of Eternity, The Elder Scrolls, Bard's Tale, maybe even Rare's catalogue - Sea of Thieves thrown in as the live service money maker), and just keep established Xbox titles as Xbox exclusives - including Flight Simulator, Age of Empires, Gears of War, Halo, Forza and Fable - and maybe add some more, but they have fumbled that. Having exclusive brands is fine, it keeps a healthy competition, but locking away traditionally multiplatform games from... well, at this point, at least two-third of all gamers makes zero sense.

But, theoretically, if Microsoft decides to release their core IPs as well, that's... just plain weird. And could have dire consequences even if we're happy to pop the new plats on the short term. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

All of this speculation is all well and good, but I think we are all missing the bigger picture here, and have failed to ask the most important question:

...just what milestone would be best for the Viva Piñata platinum? 

Even better, maybe we’ll get Rare Replay on PS5!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

who????

The name of the second one, Klobrille, is literally German for toilet seat. So, probably high quality cotent creators.

Meanwhile I'm starting to dream of my achievements from the one good  Xbox (360) to get auto-converted and integrated into my trophies. I know, I know, just let me dream, alright?

Edited by shadaik

On 2/5/2024 at 4:30 AM, Dry said:

I'm calling it... Series X/S is the next Dreamcast.

Deff could see this, I really hope not tho, without Xbox, sony will prob get unhinged with prices

xbox should’ve focused on exclusives if they wanted to sell consoles and not have day one game pass for the big games

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

One more thing to consider about such a hypothetical situation; If Xbox exits hardware and goes full third-party, what do you think is going to happen to the 50 million Xbox customers? Eventually, most of them are going to be looking for another platform to call home. There's going to be a lot of new, potential customers for Sony, Nintendo etc. to attract. You're not going to do that by going gaga with your pricing models. 

This 100%.

It's baffling that people think Sony is going to just start increasing prices overnight because Xbox, a brand that can barely even sell half of what PS can, is leaving the market. What a lot of people often leave out is that Sony's biggest competitor has always been PC. Even though I prefer PSN, the truth is you have far more options when it comes to PC, and Sony understands that, that's why they make sure there is a reason you should own their hardware.

If Xbox really does exit the console game, those users are going to most likely be deciding between buying a gaming PC or a PS5. It would be the most important moment for Sony and they need to nail it to ensure that they choose PlayStation. Failure to do so would be a massive blow to the console market as a whole.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

The ones quitting are bad, but I've seen a few straight up turning on Xbox and going hard on the attack which is even worse. Such influencers are connected to others and have plenty of warriors under them, so it can really spread. This is why you don't cultivate fanatics like this. Once they feel betrayed it gets real ugly.

Those working on Spencer's security detail should probably start asking for a raise - and a big one at that.😋

If Xbox leaves the console market it might eventually lead to Sony doing away with the trophy system.
The only other major console would be left is Nintendo - which is doing well without a trophy/achievement system.

Sony would free up resources from maintaining the current trophy system dating back to the PS3 and PS Vita days.

PlayStation developers won't have to deal with glitched trophies or receive complaints of trophies becoming unobtainable when servers are shut down.

I can see Sony creating a road map that slowly removes support/requirements for the trophy system and eventually removing it years later as an artifact of a bygone era.

• Confused 11

9 minutes ago, sweeping-lamp3 said:

I can see Sony creating a road map that slowly removes support/requirements for the trophy system and eventually removing it years later as an artifact of a bygone era.

Is it the same Sony that allows Jumping BS on the store or the other one?

4 minutes ago, sweeping-lamp3 said:

If Xbox leaves the console market it might eventually lead to Sony doing away with the trophy system.
The only other major console would be left is Nintendo - which is doing well without a trophy/achievement system.

Sony would free up resources from maintaining the current trophy system dating back to the PS3 and PS Vita days.

PlayStation developers won't have to deal with glitched trophies or receive complaints of trophies becoming unobtainable when servers are shut down.

That would probably break the hold Sony currently have over me. The trophy system is so intertwined with the gaming experience that I really can't see myself continuing if it was to disappear - at least that's how I feel.🙂

25 minutes ago, sweeping-lamp3 said:

Doubt. You're forgetting Steam, which has achievements baked into nearly every game that gets released on their platform. Even without Steam, it's a bold assumption to make.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sweeping-lamp3 said:

They could also remove streaming, since Nintendo has been doing well without Netflix, Max and so on -> They will not remove trophies, it's bad logic to assume that features are removed, when competitors don't have it as well. Many things can happen, but trophies will not go away.  

spacer.png

Whenever I hear about Microsoft possibly finally letting their games be ported over to Playstation. Sure would be nice if some of the other more popular X360 games get ported over if they're available.

• Like 4

As a PlayStation-only gamer, there's only a few Xbox exclusive games I'd be interested in. Pentiment, Tell Me Why, ... and uh... maybe some possible future ABK releases like Spyro or Diablo 5.. (I'd be way more excited if Nintendo games were coming to PlayStation, lol)

25 minutes ago, sweeping-lamp3 said:

That would be a bad move. Trophies are a good way to keep certain types of players "invested" in your ecosystem. Like me. The reason I only buy games on PlayStation is the trophy system. Us trophy nuts are willing to pay higher prices for PS versions just so we can earn trophies. There are even people who buy the same game multiple times (different console or regions) just to get more trophies. It's also a great way to track player engagement, which is likely very valuable.

Besides, the work to maintain the old consoles' trophies might already be done. They definitely did "something" in the back-end since Vita (and I assume PS3) can't even display PS5 trophies on your account, and all PS5 lists are totally separate from the previous consoles (no PS4/PS5 shared lists AFAIK).

As for developers, they must be used to it by now, if they're releasing on Steam they will already have achievements ready to go anyway. And there are many examples of games with glitched trophies (or unobtainable thanks to online servers shutting down) - those devs just ignore all the complaints.

• Like 1