Microsoft Games Are Going Third Party (Hi-Fi Rush/Pentiment/Sea of Thieves/Grounded release dates confirmed)

Rozalia1

One of the saddest parts of all this, refers to the fact that the X360 store will shut down. This will mean that hundreds of games, which all have achievements will be lost, many of them that are trophyless in the blue side of the gaming spectrum. Many of those, which are truly exclusive from that console. I might appear the devil's advocate here, but that was true 15 years ago, and the dominance of Microsoft in the industry was brutal.

Anyway, many other games aren't lost at all, but many will be. Times are changing, and the server closures, added to the fact that many games will come to PS now, makes it worthless to have an Xbox. How would ever imagine playing Halo on its competence, LMAO. However, the differences between games and trophies/achievements are notorious in many AAA games (Splitgate for example). Despite all the hate, we, on the other hand, were freed of that doom with the PS3 a few years ago; that even prompted me to buy mine, and I've been marvelled by it, no jokes. 

1 minute ago, RedDevil757 said:

Am I the only one that sees this as something bad? Competition is good for the consumer. It pushes them to make better things

The problem is when you start to actually examine and find the data to back up the feel good phrase "competition is good for the consumer". There ends up being very little actual "competition" and it mostly all ends up fitting into collusion. People can shoehorn whatever scenarios they want to fit the narrative that there was actual competition, but there really isn't. It's not a zero-sum scenario.

I'm not buying into any of these narratives and predictions and I'll just wait out the actual announcements and see what really gets delivered before getting all worked up over nothing actually happening yet.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

The problem is when you start to actually examine and find the data to back up the feel good phrase "competition is good for the consumer". There ends up being very little actual "competition" and it mostly all ends up fitting into collusion. People can shoehorn whatever scenarios they want to fit the narrative that there was actual competition, but there really isn't. It's not a zero-sum scenario.

I'm not buying into any of these narratives and predictions and I'll just wait out the actual announcements and see what really gets delivered before getting all worked up over nothing actually happening yet.

I've always understood competition to be good. If Elder Scrolls 6 was Xbox exclusive and amazing. Surely it would force Sony to put money into an exclusive to match it? After all Forza exists because Gran turismo is a Sony exclusive.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

I've always understood competition to be good. If Elder Scrolls 6 was Xbox exclusive and amazing. Surely it would force Sony to put money into an exclusive to match it? After all Forza exists because Gran turismo is a Sony exclusive.

I see where you are coming from, but it doesn't really appear to be the case. When you look at Xbox, they aren't creating these crazily unique games or anything like that, they are just trying to emulate what the more successful company is doing.

You use Forza as a great example, Gran Turismo is very popular if you are into racing games, so Xbox made its own. From what I hear, it has not influenced Gran Turismo, which is still the best racing game according to many just like before Forza was a thing. So competition didn't influence PlayStation at all (correct me if I am wrong, I don't play racing games, but this is my understanding of it).

Xbox typically has more FPS options like Halo, whereas PlayStation has abandoned FPS titles and leaves it up to the third-party devs to make. If competition was influencing Sony, they would be making FPS titles to compete. While I think Xbox is trying to compete with Sony, I don't think the same is true for Sony.

Similar to Nintendo, Sony is focused on their game styles (3rd-person open world narrative-driven games). They don't care what Xbox does.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2024 at 10:08 AM, Rozalia1 said:

What will likely make them review better on PlayStation and come off nicer to players will be the fact that they'll launch with X years worth of patches attached and possibly even DLC packed in.

Exactly as I predicted would happen. A gigantic vampire squid corporation like Microsoft is not going to turn down money, of COURSE all the games by the studios/corporations they acquired would be on PlayStation at some point: no-one in their right mind is going to turn down that kind of cash for a finished product that just needs porting.

And yes, as I already said to many of my friends: Rise of The Tomb Raider was an Xbox timed exclusive. Apparently it was a buggy mess and the Xbox community very kindly beta tested it for us. 😂 The same will be true of these games - not that I want to play any of them, they all look like absolute trash.

Starfield? Not. Even. Once.

Great post btw OP.

16 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I see where you are coming from, but it doesn't really appear to be the case. When you look at Xbox, they aren't creating these crazily unique games or anything like that, they are just trying to emulate what the more successful company is doing.

You use Forza as a great example, Gran Turismo is very popular if you are into racing games, so Xbox made its own. From what I hear, it has not influenced Gran Turismo, which is still the best racing game according to many just like before Forza was a thing. So competition didn't influence PlayStation at all (correct me if I am wrong, I don't play racing games, but this is my understanding of it).

Xbox typically has more FPS options like Halo, whereas PlayStation has abandoned FPS titles and leaves it up to the third-party devs to make. If competition was influencing Sony, they would be making FPS titles to compete. While I think Xbox is trying to compete with Sony, I don't think the same is true for Sony.

Similar to Nintendo, Sony is focused on their game styles (3rd-person open world narrative-driven games). They don't care what Xbox does.

I think Sony just knows when to quit. You mentioned FPS’s. Sony had Killzone which never took off so they just quit trying. Third party shooters make them a lot of money so why try and compete. 

• Confused 1

Just now, PalaceOfLove706 said:

I think Sony just knows when to quit. You mentioned FPS’s. Sony had Killzone which never took off so they just quit trying. Third party shooters make them a lot of money so why try and compete. 

This is fair. Sony has a lot of FPS franchises that it retired, Killzone, Resistance, SOCOM, and so on. In their position, they make more money by everyone playing COD, Battlefield, OW, and so on. And this backs up my point that Sony is not competing with Xbox. Xbox is trying to compete with Sony which is just doing their own thing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

This is fair. Sony has a lot of FPS franchises that it retired, Killzone, Resistance, SOCOM, and so on. In their position, they make more money by everyone playing COD, Battlefield, OW, and so on. And this backs up my point that Sony is not competing with Xbox. Xbox is trying to compete with Sony which is just doing their own thing.

Sony is competing in different ways though. They emulated Xbox Live with PS Plus and then came out with the tiers to emulate Game Pass. I don’t think Sony would be investing in games as a service had Microsoft not kicked that can. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Killzone Shadow Fall sold more copies than Bloodborne, seems like it took off to me. I don't think it was competing with Call or Duty just because they are in the same genre. It's possible Guerilla Games just felt the 6 Killzone games was enough and decided to move on to make Horizon.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Sony is competing in different ways though. They emulated Xbox Live with PS Plus and then came out with the tiers to emulate Game Pass. I don’t think Sony would be investing in games as a service had Microsoft not kicked that can. 

You're not wrong about Xbox Live. That was way ahead of its time and revolutionized online gaming. And while you are probably right about game pass having an influence. I'm pretty sure Game Pass was trying to take PS Now to the next level, which it succeeded at(at least in terms of name recognition), but in fairness, most major publishers were doing this with things like EA+, Ubisoft+, and so on. More of an inevitability than Xbox.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Wasn't PS Now a thing before Game Pass? 
Wasn't PS Now and PS+ much easier to sub to and cancel before the move to combine them?

Do you need to give Xbox credit for something in every post that you make? It is really strange and offputting given that most of your attempts to do so have been wrong.

Sony did acquire Gakai and had PS Now incorporated as far back as the PS3. They killed it off and made it exclusive to PS4 and PC eventually. They are competing with Game Pass now. I give credit where it’s due. I think my banner shows you the number of PS games I’ve played so to think I’m not a PS fanboy is silly. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, RedDevil757 said:

Am I the only one that sees this as something bad? Competition is good for the consumer. It pushes them to make better things

I certainly agree that competition is a good thing, but MS hardly provided anything like competition for Sony. They've bungled the job for years now. Hell, even when they were handed victory in the PS3 generation, they managed to screw it up (they were actually outsold).

I would like to see a true competitor to Sony's dominance, but they're just not there. Nintendo strives for a completely different market, and MS was, well, a joke.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Sony did acquire Gakai and had PS Now incorporated as far back as the PS3. They killed it off and made it exclusive to PS4 and PC eventually. They are competing with Game Pass now. I give credit where it’s due. I think my banner shows you the number of PS games I’ve played so to think I’m not a PS fanboy is silly. 

In other words. Gamepass was introduced after Sony started PS Now. The two services have been competing ever since. 

Again, Game Pass wasn't first. It doesn't deserve credit for being first. Most of what you said trying to give Xbox credit for being first is incorrect.  IDGAF about your banner. Your information is bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Killzone Shadow Fall sold more copies than Bloodborne, seems like it took off to me. I don't think it was competing with Call or Duty just because they are in the same genre. It's possible Guerilla Games just felt the 6 Killzone games was enough and decided to move on to make Horizon.

I only checked Wikipedia but over there it says Killzone sold 2 million while Bloodborne has 7 million. Had Killzone sold as well it would probably still be going even if a different studio was working on it. 

• Confused 2

Next week we all know but i wonder what is happening behind the scenes as i don't think Phill Spencer and his team agree with this move, possibly Nadella and shareholders want immediately economic results.

Now as Microsoft want to push towards the "ADORABLE" 😅 digital i don't think they stop their involvement with hardware in the console space ( for the moment) but they continue with a cheap device due to Gamepass and they will push more PC and most importantly mobile.

Another aspect we must consider is Microsoft role as publisher and the role it can play in that saturated space especially in the USA market.

https://newzoo.com/resources/rankings/top-25-companies-game-revenues

Edited by ASMODAIOS344
  • Like 2