Microsoft Games Are Going Third Party (Hi-Fi Rush/Pentiment/Sea of Thieves/Grounded release dates confirmed)

Rozalia1

19 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

The Dreamcast had unique and fantastic games which separated it from other systems. The Series S/X however...

Virtua Fighter 3tb (team battle) was such a game. Maybe not arcade perfect, but I'd say at least 95% there. Stage designs have things like stairs, or diagonal floors. I'd have liked Daytona 2 and Super GT (Scud Race) to get ported also. Sega Rally 2 was almost wonderful, but the framedrops marred it a little. I think SR2 just needed a little more time in the oven. Namco's Soulcalibur port was another gem.

The first Xbox had House of the Dead III, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio, Out Run 2, and others. It may as well have been a Dreamcast 2. Xbox was actually worth a damn in its early days...  Xbox and PS were on even ground in my book during the PS2 and PS3 generations. The PS4 gen was when PS had gained a frank advantage.

10 hours ago, boaly2008 said:

I dont see how you can possibly argue that the consumer is the one that has benefited from the locking of online play behind monthly charges.

I never said the consumer benefits from paid online services however there probably is an argument there. Buy a gaming PC if you want free multiplayer. I’m a programmer and have a good PC that cost me almost $10k. My PS5 cost me $700. How many years of PS+ will I have to subscribe to in order to match what I spent on my PC?

10 hours ago, boaly2008 said:
Edited by PalaceOfLove706
  • Confused 2

58 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Sony wins a battle not the war, if this is confirmed ,but there is still Big N and Steam (where actually you can find ps former exclusive) i ll switch back to these platform with no remorse if Sony executives push further in wrong ways

• Like 2

On 2/5/2024 at 10:52 AM, majob said:

It was largely self inflicted. Putting all of their exclusives day and date on PC and Gamepass made the hardware pointless

And Sony is going the same path, if they keep going like this PS5 might become my last console

• Confused 2

I wouldn't mind playing some Sea Of Thieves I guess, but thats about it for XBox exclusives I am even remotely interested in, unless I am forgetting something. Getting more games is always a plus though even if I am not personally interested in most of them.

Few points I like to highlight.

Most sources have said that SOME games, we are probably not going to see Halo, Gears, Fable or Forza games on Playstation.

Microsoft is a "public" company so the CEO has to make a decision towards the best way to make profit, so it does make sense to make multiplatform the games made by the studios and publishers they just bought considering selling consoles is not always profitable for xbox.

Microsoft is a known 180 company, remember when the XboxONE was going to be always on, always Kinect and a tv-media-cable thing? After the backlash they backtrack everything.

They also were against backwards compatibility.

There has been some backlash, so maybe they are going to 180 the thing.

My bet is, niche games that are not hard hitters on xbox are going to be on other consoles. Hi-fi rush, Ghostwire Tokyo 2 and those games are probably going to be on Ps5. Maybe some of the Legacy games that have been previously on playstation will be on ps5, meaning Outer Worlds 2, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Crash games etc. Those game will still be time exclusives for Xbox.

This way they can appease the xbox fans, make it look like gamepass is a great deal and also still making profit by selling the games.

Hot take. I think the worst mistake Microsoft did was making first party games day one on gamepass, profit wise that makes so little sense imo and forced them to make almost every game a game as a service.

Edited by MAUSZX

1 hour ago, MAUSZX said:

Hot take. I think the worst mistake Microsoft did was making first party games day one on gamepass, profit wise that makes so little sense imo and forced them to make almost every game a game as a service.

Profit wise no but it was and still is a business necessity for them. Outside USA Xbox is practically non existent and the last years with Gamepass make no different. I don't know what the marketing team of Microsoft is doing but in country i haven't see once a little promotion for Xbox and i am totally honest Nintendo and Sony do all the time.

Outside USA the second biggest market for Microsoft was always UK and according to the official data we see a big decrease of hardware numbers of the Series consoles compare to PS5 and Switch.

So it's seems for whatever the reason a trillion dollars company like Microsoft cannot find a way to make it's products and services desirable?

On 2/6/2024 at 1:18 PM, baboon_overlord said:

Hey Dr. B., how are you?

Not sure that's true, there were several promising looking games coming up for Xbox. This video shows 147(!) cancelled Xbox exclusives: 

Having worked with Microsoft at a very high level, and even having been offered a very senior role with them in the EMEA region, I can tell you, the company is a joke. There was no way I was going to work at that shitshow. It really doesn't surprise me that they are incapable of managing projects like these to fruition.

Oh man, you can't tease us like that. Give us all the details from behind the curtain. 😈

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, baboon_overlord said:

OK so basically imagine the average MS employee's day is something like this:

- Get to work, grab a coffee, waste 15-20 minutes standing around chatting about BS.

- Sit down, check a few emails.

- Go into pointless meeting with maybe 20+ people,. Spend meeting talking in acronyms that no-one outside of the company understands.

- Spend ten minutes doing some actual work before going to lunch (probably some "business lunch" that effectively eats up yet more hours of the day at the company's expense).

- Another meeting or two to eat up what remains of the day.

- Check a few more emails, maybe do another twenty minutes of actual work.

- Hometime!

This may just be modern multinational corporate behaviour, but since I actually like doing work and getting things done, it isn't for me.

They ask you to do something for them (always "drop everything, it's double urgent"), then you have to chase them up for ages to get a response - when it was them who requested it in the first place! They are just a very disastrous and incompetent organization in general. I'm sure the Peter principle applies very heavily.

I never had any dealings with the Xbox side of the business, but would imagine it's the exact same culture. They basically exist in an ivory tower doing busywork, with no concept of what's actually happening in reality outside of their PowerPoints and certainly no idea what their average customer wants or thinks.

Microsoft support is literally run on their website by unpaid volunteers. You cannot make this stuff up.

Yeah, that sounds terrible. I can't stand work meetings so having to do it multiple times a day would drive me insane. Haha, thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

Here is my take on this. And like previously mentioned i do not believe whatsoever that the main Franchises will go to PS or Nintendo. 

Niche games are the target, since they barely sell because they are on a service, so the ideia to make some money to actually sell those games on other platforms that have more users and people actually will pay to play them. 

I also do believe that Bethesda and Activision/Blizzard games will mostly also get released for PS5, the main reasons beeing that they were before multiplatform companies that released the games everywhere. Hi-Fi Rush and Starfield i can see them coming, even tho Starfield is not niche, they know it will sell loads on PlayStation (There were loads of e-mails regarding this when the debackle of the Acti buyout). And by doing the strategy of releasing first on game pass for a year and then let's release them on PlayStation and Nintendo to cash in some. 

Also i believe the games from Bethesda and all will only be released on the digital store, there won't be any retail copies, also meaning overpriced to boot. Like a new release and will take a long time for a price drop in any regard so prepare your wallets in case you want to buy them. I most certanly won't. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Danyy___85 said:

Niche games are the target, since they barely sell because they are on a service, so the ideia to make some money to actually sell those games on other platforms that have more users and people actually will pay to play them. 

That would apply under normal circumstances.  However, since XBox has been a money sink for years, it can be assumed that even their core games maybe haven't sold all that great either.  Fair chance they could port over their older games - there's already rumors of Gears going to PS swirling.  Guess we'll find out next week

• Like 4

The only Xbox console that didn’t fumble the ball was the original Xbox..

I bought the PS3, but I started to lean towards the 360 cause of Halo, Gears of War, DOA 4, Perfect Dark Zero etc.. plus the Xbox live.. Then the rrod happened that’s what put me off and couldn’t trust Xbox. And I would wait till the next gen.

Was ready to buy a Xbox One till the reveal.. 24hr check in, no game sharing, Kinect and the X1 being basically a cable box.. that was a HELL NO.. from me.

Series X was doing well till you realize there’s not that many exclusives and the fact that their gamepass plan was suicide.. 

I honestly think theyre going to stop making consoles and just end up competing against Steam and Epic Games store. Release all their games on the next gen Nintendo, PS6 and Steam Deck. Don’t have to deal with hardware anymore and just take in the profits from selling games like Sega. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 12:11 PM, Someonew said:

And Sony is going the same path, if they keep going like this PS5 might become my last console

This will honestly never happen barring something catastrophic as the gaming division essentially carries Sony right now. They have nothing to gain by going 3rd party

• Like 4

if this is true ( which already sounds like it )

the only first party Xbox games I really want to have on Playstation is Gears 1 and 2

halo the master chief collection, Conker Bad Fur Day, sunset overdrive and rare replay so I can play banjo Kazooie and banjo tooie.

and also other Microsoft published games like Dead or Alive Ultimate, DOA 3 and 4 if possible.

anything else i'm not really interested in.

On 2/8/2024 at 1:11 AM, baboon_overlord said:

OK so basically imagine the average MS employee's day is something like this:

- Get to work, grab a coffee, waste 15-20 minutes standing around chatting about BS.

- Sit down, check a few emails.

- Go into pointless meeting with maybe 20+ people,. Spend meeting talking in acronyms that no-one outside of the company understands.

- Spend ten minutes doing some actual work before going to lunch (probably some "business lunch" that effectively eats up yet more hours of the day at the company's expense).

- Another meeting or two to eat up what remains of the day.

- Check a few more emails, maybe do another twenty minutes of actual work.

- Hometime!

This may just be modern multinational corporate behaviour, but since I actually like doing work and getting things done, it isn't for me.

They ask you to do something for them (always "drop everything, it's double urgent"), then you have to chase them up for ages to get a response - when it was them who requested it in the first place! They are just a very disastrous and incompetent organization in general. I'm sure the Peter principle applies very heavily.

I never had any dealings with the Xbox side of the business, but would imagine it's the exact same culture. They basically exist in an ivory tower doing busywork, with no concept of what's actually happening in reality outside of their PowerPoints and certainly no idea what their average customer wants or thinks.

Microsoft support is literally run on their website by unpaid volunteers. You cannot make this stuff up.

How do I get this job where you barely do any work and just jerkoff all day? Sounds much better than real corpo multinational jobs which is answering emails or phones all day to meet a quote that's too high to get bonus payment that you won't get because quote is too high and even if you get it the pay is fucking shit so you can't buy apartment anyway

• Like 3