How do you decide which game are you going to play next?

OmriStyle27

Very nice thread idea! 👍

Like many above my days of neverending hanging out are long gone with the job, the kids and all other grown-up crap… I often find myself in some kind of void after I close a game, particularly after one I really enjoyed.

I tend to vary between long games that will keep me busy for months and shorter ones, and my younger brother is of good advice about what to play next but ultimately it’s mostly a gut feeling - do I feel like playing this one?

Edited by Neef-GT5
  • Like 1

It really depends on how I’m feeling in general, whether I have access to my consoles or not, and on my university course work load.

I remember not touching I am Bread for a while, and after like 3-ish years of not playing it I decided to return to it in the middle of my finals week out of boredom and stress. Next thing I know, I somehow melted every single level and got the platinum.

So it really depends on the situation in my case lol.

• Like 2

I tend to alternate between games that take longer to complete and games that take shorter periods of time to complete. Usually after a game that takes 50+ hours to complete I really need something as a bit of a palette cleanser.

I'll also at times be going for two different games at once, with one game being a low focus title that I can play while talking to my partner or a friend, and a game that requires my full attention (harder games or more narrative focused titles)

I keep a general list of my backlog of titles and usually will abide by the order I put them in, however i shuffle the games quite frequently because there are times that I'm just not in the mood for a particular type of game, so the list is really just a personal suggestion more than anything.

Edited by Porch
  • Like 1

I decide based on time commitment i have at the time . When busy i play short games. Or if ive really been waiting for a game i will play it sooner then later from my backlog. I also sometimes take breaks from super long games then go back to them to complete them .  Some games require so many hours you can get burnt out on them .

• Like 2

I’m either procrastinating and helping other people which has me playing games I’ve previously enjoyed, or looking at the upcoming shutdowns thread and praying some game I’m curious to play is shutting down or on the brink of doing so.

• Like 2

The day I stopped caring about trophy lists, whether I have games I'm close to completing, hesitating to start games with unobtainable trophies, choosing a game became really simple and easy. I pick what I want to play, and that's the only factor I consider.

• Like 1

I tend to play something different from what I'm waiting for; EG: now I'm waiting for FFVII Rebirth, so i don' t want to waste my JRPG hunger before diving into it, also I use to recover the DLCs from games I played months or years before whenever a set release date like this is near.

Edited by ryuzakix5
  • Like 1

Its a total mess. Its just too much games. At the moment I play 2 harder games, a little bit Judgment, Disney Dreamlight Valley and EA FC for the daily goals and end of the week of course FF7 Rebirth. I also have over 40 unfinished games in my profile. Many only dlcs ( damn NG+ single trophies )

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 6:26 PM, OmriStyle27 said:

so how do you decide which game are you going to play next and is that decision come easy to you?

Well, a Discord server I am in has a badge system. Basically everything from finish 10 horror games and other genre specific badges, game alphabets, series completions, complete 25 games that have a platinum titled "platinum or platinum trophy", complete 100 games with no plats and just random crap like that. 

So I just choose a badge I like and go for it.

I mostly do 2-3 badges at a time, but I mainly like this system cause there is no time limit. Just a list I can follow thats specific, but also general enough that I have choices.

• Like 2

I usually pick games that tend to be popular, and also read reviews and watch youtube reviews before purchase to reduce the chance of not liking the game. I also plan ahead, in that there are always 5-6 games waiting in my library. In terms of order, I tend to go from shortest/easiest to longest. 

• Like 1

I like sports games in general, even the random sports like Rodeo, Handball, etc.  But otherwise, as I don't find myself a "good" gamer, I try to find ones that have decent guides to get me through them.  Some games that have 20% - 30% platinum rates are still hard for me.  As a ADHD'r, it's VERY hard for me to stick with one game at a time so I'll usually have one on the PS5 and one on the PS3 concurrently that I switch back and forth from.  🙂 

• Like 1

Ever since I got a PS3, I alternate between PS3 games and PS4/5 games. It's really great to be able to come back to some of the classics that I've missed, and also to replay the ones I played in my older account, so I can have a go at the Platinum again. Then I play something more recent, or a launch I'm excited for on the PS5.

As for the games I choose, I just play something I feel like I'm going to play all the way to the credits. I really don't have the time anymore to sink hundreds of hours in a campaign - let alone a Platinum - so I just play the game the way I want and see if I can complete the rest of it in one playthrough and in a reasonable time; if not, I choose to shelve it and go back to it later. And finally, I sneak in a few sessions of shelved/grindy/repetitive games I've in between, to try and get it to 100% completion.

That's when I feel like playing on PS consoles. If I don't, I just play on the Switch, but that's much less frequent.

• Like 1

I usually rotate 3-5 games at a time. A long play disc game, a long play digital game, a game for grinding during podcasts, and 1 or 2 others. For the others, I use a google sheet of all my unfinished digital games and an RNG to decide what to play. I have an obscene backlog of games I bought on sale so I could literally spend hours scrolling through to decide otherwise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Moridin83 said:

I usually rotate 3-5 games at a time. A long play disc game, a long play digital game, a game for grinding during podcasts, and 1 or 2 others. For the others, I use a google sheet of all my unfinished digital games and an RNG to decide what to play. I have an obscene backlog of games I bought on sale so I could literally spend hours scrolling through to decide otherwise.

that's a good idea to have a certain game for podcasts 

I usually play games while watching something on youtube or listening to a podcast, and right now I'm playing Yakuza 7 but it's killing me because of all the yapping lol.

• Haha 1

How I understand this pain of have to choose.

1.Gladly joing PSNP was a smart thing to do  and is helping me a lot thru the backlog challenge because beside want to play new things, I want to complete games i started and never finished.

2. I challenged a friend to platinum games. We drawed our lines and if someone dont reach the goal, has to offer a game to the other.

3. First impressions are everything. I play the game that first comes to my head usually.

This is what is helping me.Im enjoying my games, no time wasted in proscratination and im happy with the results.

Edited by Rikapadupu
  • Like 1

I have so many games that I have yet to play.. They just sit on my shelf waiting for me lol.

I usually play whatever I'm feeling. If a new game comes out I try to grind it but usually lose interest. Lately I've been trying to go back to games that I've come close to completing the trophy list for, but I always end up getting distracted by other parts of it (which is why my 100%/Plat list isn't very long xD) 

• Haha 1