Why do so many people care about if there is a platinum or not in a game?

draqilo

Same reason why some like trophies in a game: because we like to collect them? Pretty simple.

They’re also one of the fundamentals of our trophy system, otherwise why not just have achievements like every other platform?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Camokidd87 said:

The platinum pop is just satisfying.  It feels like a real trophy at end of game. 100 percent isnt quite the same for some. 

100% is way more satisfying then a platinum imo.

Personally I don't mind if a game has a platinum or not. It will make no difference to how much I enjoy the game itself. Yes, I will admit that Fernbus Simulator deserved a platinum trophy after 700+ hours of achieving 100% completion, but what can you do?

I like to mix things up and give myself a combination of 100% and platinum games, you miss out on some really good games if you do not explore the games that don't have platinum trophies. For example: Firewatch, Synth Riders, The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter, the list is endless. 

15 minutes ago, draqilo said:

100% is way more satisfying then a platinum imo.

I actually find 100% more satisfying as well. I mean, yes, a platinum is nice but sometimes the 100% games make you feel like you deserve that completion. It is an odd feeling to describe but I am sure I am not alone in thinking that. 

2 minutes ago, RNumbers said:

I don't care so much about a plat, what irks me is the inconsistency with which it's determined whether a game will have a plat or not.

This is an excellent point. The fact that a 2 minute platinum like Stroke The Whatever has one but Fernbus Simulator, which takes many hundreds of hours, does not. It's inconsistent and the system is silly sometimes.

Edited by GothGirlMaxine
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GothGirlMaxine said:

Personally I don't mind if a game has a platinum or not. It will make no difference to how much I enjoy the game itself. Yes, I will admit that Fernbus Simulator deserved a platinum trophy after 700+ hours of achieving 100% completion, but what can you do?

I like to mix things up and give myself a combination of 100% and platinum games, you miss out on some really good games if you do not explore the games that don't have platinum trophies. For example: Firewatch, Synth Riders, The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter, the list is endless. 

I actually find 100% more satisfying as well. I mean, yes, a platinum is nice but sometimes the 100% games make you feel like you deserve that completion. It is an odd feeling to describe but I am sure I am not alone in thinking that. 

This is an excellent point. The fact that a 2 minute platinum like Stroke The Whatever has one but Fernbus Simulator, which takes many hundreds of hours, does not. It's inconsistent and the system is silly sometimes.

There nothing better the 100% a game that have a plat.

Because people naturally enjoy watching number go up and the most prevalent number that can go up in trophy hunting is a platinum count.

Also in the vast majority of cases due to the way trophies are scored, a game with platinums will have more then those without, and more trophy pops means more dopamine.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SeedersPhD said:

Because people naturally enjoy watching number go up and the most prevalent number that can go up in trophy hunting is a platinum count.

Also in the vast majority of cases due to the way trophies are scored, a game with platinums will have more then those without, and more trophy pops means more dopamine.

Agree with this.

I prefer a platinum, for yes, the platinum count, points and that trophy pop...ahh...

But that hasn't & won't stop me playing a non-plat game, if I want to play a particular game.

Maybe we need some more stats recorded on 100% games with no plats, on PSNProfiles>>>>just a suggestion>>>>

• Like 3

The Platinum trophy is the icing on the cake. It's what separates the trophy system from the achievement system. If I looked at an account with 20,000 gamer score, does that mean they have 20 games at 1000 or just happen to have that score from playing lots of games?

With this said, I don't care if a game has a platinum trophy, but I certainly am disappointed when it does not have one.

• Like 1

While I do play some games without plats (it never really stopped me from playing if I'm interested in the game), the game/trophy list just doesn't feel complete without it.

14 minutes ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

I think a burger tastes better without the cheese.🙃

raw

*gasp*

• Haha 2

Platinum trophies are a good identifier of completion of a trophy list and usually completion of most content in a game, so it's kind of like a literal trophy - you can display it for others to see your accomplishment or to just remind you of how fun/challenging/crazy a game was when looking back at it in the future

Ironically, I don't REALLY care about Platinum's. I just play anything I can get my grubby little hands on.

But I think most people who ARE hardcore trophy-hunters are just pissing down the decks with testosterone.

I'm talking top 100 in the world here. Numbers count. And they will play anything. Even 100% only games.

But the almighty Platinum is the preferred trophy for them. It's a never-ending battle. I think it's funny.

In essence it's a swinging contest between dicks. For real. Oh, look, I have more Platinum's than you.

So, those people really do CARE. Trophy-hunting for them is a state of mind for the most-part. Lol

• Like 2

I think it's because Platinums are an extra indicator that people accomplished the game's challenges. And it probably doesn't hurt that some games even have cool looking platinums. So, I've seen some people use the platinums they achieved in their signatures, banners, etc. If you don't care about platinums, no problem. Play your games the way you like and enjoy the experience.