Most Recent Platinum

Muff

L57e243.png

Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal

Enjoyment: 9/10

Difficulty: 4/10

Although the remake of the original is my favorite R&C game, I consider this one (probably) the best one.

Pros:

-As with the other two in the trilogy, it still looks pretty good. And again, certain worlds are still gorgeous.

-The gameplay is still very fun, and this one has more diversity in the base gameplay; even if it ultimately boils down to shooting enemies.

-Referring to the diversity, this one changes up enough stuff from world-to-world to consistently remain entertaining. The base of the franchise is still here: go to new planet, do objective. But the worlds, for the most part, are different from one another. Most of the worlds don't feel like bland, pointless filler like the previous two. I know the Going Commando was in production before the first R&C game even came out so there wasn't a great amount of room for changing up too much because they didn't know exactly what people would love and hate yet, but you can absolutely see that they nailed almost everything on the third go.

-While I can't comment on the multiplayer because I never played it, but the tutorial of it within the story itself (at least I was told certain missions were basically sneakily-placed tutorials for the multiplayer) seemed very fun. They seemed like basically defend-the-base or attack-the-base type of gameplay, but that's just basic enough to be suitable for everyone to at least understand what they should be doing.

-The Titanium bolts are cleverly hidden and fun to find (I assume, I used a guide for most of them), along with the skill points being mostly enjoyable to do (apart from one I'll talk about).

-I still think Dr. Nefarious is the best R&C villain, if not overall character tied with Captain Quark. So much better than generic-evil-business-man from the first game, and whoever the hell was the villain of the second.

Cons:

-Both of my cons are minor gripes that are more personal issues I had with the game more than anything. Firstly, the collecting 101 sewer crystals skill point/trophy nearly caved my head in. Mainly because 101 is too many for one collectible, sewer levels are always the worst and that's especially so in this one because it's a topsy-turvy level (all halls are circular and you can walk on said walls) where my motion sickness went into full gear and caused such an aggressive headache I had to bulldoze through this part before I genuinely died. In going Commando, two of the most annoying things to do in the game was collect 101 items on two separate occasions (I believe one was 100) and it was terrible, so I have no idea why they brought this back. Luckily you only had to do it once.

-Secondly, the Quarktastic final challenge drove me to near clinical levels of insanity. It's 100 rounds, and it tests your patience more than your skill. I died the first two times I tired, which was fair enough. Third time I got to about round 70 with nearly full health, I look away from my tv for less than 2 seconds, look back and I'm dead. There are no one-shot deaths in the challenge, even if you fall off you edge you just take 1 damage. I don't know if this glitched or what, but I was agitated. Next try I got to about round 60/61, and the game completely glitched. Enemies stopped spawning completely and I had to reset. I eventually got it and felt more relieved it was over than accomplished that I beat it. Neither of these cons are anything major.

TL;DR: Arguably the best R&C game, and a wonderful end to an iconic trilogy. Cannot wait for Rift Apart.

Edited by ChunkyKong64

1Sdaf265.png

"No Path Untraveled" from 'The Pathless'

Difficulty: 2/10

Enjoyment: 3/10

I enjoyed the puzzles in the game, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The PS5 announcement trailer made it look quite action heavy. But there's actually very little combat. It's almost all exploration and puzzle solving. The exploration I didn't enjoy as there's no HUD or fast travel (so getting around can be cumbersome and at least half of my playtime was crossing the overworld). And for most of the time the game world was unattractive. Until you beat the boss in every zone the world is under a dark cloud so everything looks grey and miserable. There were moments of remarkable art, like when you face the bosses and everything turns to red and flame.

I've seen some reviews highlight the story. But there's actually very little story, and very little dialogue. What we did get was a little tropey (dark curse, corrupted God figures needing to be saved, lone hunter and a villain wanting to be a God himself). There was a big plot hole that occured twice, with the villain having the chance to kill you (and wanting to) but choosing to leave you alive for some inexplicable reason and send a minion after you later. The second time in particular you briefly fight him and can't do any damage, but still he flies off.

As for the platinum you can finish it without backtracking if you search everything first time. Do all the puzzles and view all the orb messages in each zone as you progress and you'll have popped every trophy by the time you hit the credits. Progressing in combat is easy. You can't die and if you take too much damage it just boots you out of the arena and you can come straight back in.

I don't regret my time with the game but I won't revisit it.

• Like 3

Supraland

A really interesting metroidvania game. The puzzles are challenging and take some genuine thought to get through, which is exactly what you want. As per the genre, the progression of the story is dependent on upgrades and finding hidden items. None of this is a chore as in some games - and finding the items are rewarding as some are tough to solve side-puzzles.

The game looks good for an indie title and has good movement. The camera angles are sometimes a bit dodgy but when you're trying to jump up cliffs etc. I guess that's to be expected when first-person.

For £13 (a few quid off on sale) it kept me entertained and wanting to keep picking up the controller for an amazing 55 hours. Well worth it.

8/10

• Like 3