Most Recent Platinum

Muff

On 1/6/2021 at 0:25 AM, ScarecrowsFate said:
In contrast to much of the bloated, design by committee games in this industry, which attempt to blend a dozen different genres in the hopes of mass appeal, Nex Machina is a very pure, focused arcade experience. Simple in a good way, it knows exactly what it is, and it's better off for it. Without overly complex controls or a confusing mess of jumbled mechanics, I was able to just drop into a satisfying zone of dashing through intimidating enemy crowds and bullet hell projectiles, using my special weapon to survive by a thread, and not needing to really think about what my hands were doing.

That's the very reason I stick to mostly indies and older games in contrast to modern AAA games. Games like Nex Machina and Matterfall don't need mass appeal, and they're all the better for it. Sure, these two games didn't do too well financially which made Housemarque drop out of the arcade/shmup genre for a while, but I'll take solid, responsive controls and thrilling, addicting fast paced gameplay over the boring, cookie cutter, hold your hand experience the mainstream games have taken.

These games never had and will never attract a mass audience. They were aimed at a niche audience, which further proves the point that games with few game owners aren't always bad, and games with mass appeal aren't always good.

• Like 2