Are you a trophy hunter, or a completionist?

Grample_Gust

Trophy hunter well mainly aiming for platinums. The reason is im not fond of dlc that's based on online (resident evil 5 and 6, uncharted 2 and 3).

Online trophies are the worst when trophy hunting as it leads to problems such servers can sometimes be buggy, lack of players, game freeze or the worst one of all is when servers shutdown on a date making platinum's impossible to achieve.

Collecting trophies was the reason I manage to play more types of games and see how good they really are.(originally preferred games that are third person regardless how other games were).

Edited by maurjen

I first played games on my PC, and it was fun but than I bought my PS3 three years ago, mainly due to the reason that I saw some really great games as exclusives on Sony such as RDR, Uncharted and Demons Souls.

After that I got introduced to trophies as an gaming concept and slowly got addicted in collecting them, so now I can admit that I have slowly grown into trophy hunter, with some premises of completionist.

Mainly I choose to play, and try to get platinum and 100% where is possible in respect of my gaming qualities, games that suites me and in which I enjoy, so I don`t play childish and cartoonish games just for the sake of easy trophies and easy platinums.

For example, I have played on PC ME and ME 2 as well as Fallout 3 and Fallout:New Vegas, but now I have an urge to play them again and have platinums and 100% in each of those great games, in my collection. Luckily, enough time has passed from when I originally played them , not to be bored for playing them again. :)

A completionist before trophies existed if that makes sense. I would do everything possible in GTA games and THPS games, games I enjoyed. Now I'll just go for %100 if I've reached %80/90 naturally without thinking about the Platinum. Then there's the games I've loved to play like Dark Souls, playing through it 4 or 5 times was complete Joy and the plat was the icing on the cake. Maybe I'm just a complete trophy scrub but I'm not going to spend hours for a trophy unless I really like the game.

• Like 1

I'd say I'm neither, I just play games for the fun, but I have steamrolled through some just so I could enjoy the game without worrying about trophies later, or they failed to meet my expectations but I knew I could get the platinum/100%. I will go for a platinum multiple times if I really enjoy the game though.

While I was on the X360 I would have said I was a trophy (achievement ) hunter. However since moving over to the PS, I don't really care too much about trophies anymore. When I play, I play to enjoy the game and the trophies aren't really a big deal. But that doesn't mean I don't like them, or if I am able to go for the platinum without to much fuss then I will. 

I won't grind endlessly like I did before, just for the sake of a trophy. Essentially, the amount of effort I put into getting the trophies of a game, depends entirely on how much I like a game. Any game I have a Platinum for or a high completion %, is usually I like allot.

I don't really know if I qualify for either completionist or Trophy Hunter, I don't really care either way. I just play to have fun in whatever form that takes.

I see myself as being in-between. I get a game because i want to play it and enjoy it to its fullest, in doing so i might find myself earning enough trophies as i strive to attain the highest or keep pushing till i get the utmost satisfaction from the game and dump it. Once i pick up a game to play, theres only one thing on my mind and that's to enjoy it, i don't care what way the enjoyment come.

• 2 years later...

trophy hunter.... i carefully pick out targets to complete (the ones i know that won't give much issue). trying to reach that glorious 90% completion. some of the unearned trophy's i complete would raise that number :(.

Edited by kingdrake2

Hunter, I'm not going to obsess over 100%ing everything, though I do like to completely finish the games I do like. I would prefer to half finish a game with difficult trophies if it has an enjoyable core experience, if I can't get 100%, no big deal, and if I never plan to go back to it, I just hide the trophies and use this site to manage my backlog.

It's too time consuming to 'research' every game's trophies beforehand, and I really get no enjoyment from being that selective in the first place. If a game doesn't pan out the way I like I'm not going to torture myself into still getting 100% anyway - I'm not a masochist. I would prefer to be surprised by the challenge a game gives, instead of always just playing it 'safe' to satisfy an arbitrary requirement.

Edited by SkyMason
  • Like 4

I'm a bit of both. I like going for as many trophies as i can, but not if that means i have to by DLC if i dont like the game or if the DLC is overpriced.
do take note i didn't start trophy hunting untill like Infamous second son (way before it became free on ps+) so most of my PS3 titles have garbage percentages.

15 minutes ago, gamesfourever said:

I'm a bit of both. I like going for as many trophies as i can, but not if that means i have to by DLC if i dont like the game or if the DLC is overpriced.
do take note i didn't start trophy hunting untill like Infamous second son (way before it became free on ps+) so most of my PS3 titles have garbage percentages.

beats mine

I'm a little of both.  Most multiplayer versus i hate to play, some games i didn't bother to get the trophies.  If some dlc are overpriced or uninteresting, then I will not play play them.   Both trophies and completion percentage are a concern though.