Does anybody else here not smoke and not drink?

Capreb

• 7 years later...

I've never been drunk in my life even once. A glass of wine to celebrate my birthday is about as far as I've gone. I've been exposed to effects of alcohol on people from a very young age, and I don't want any of that in my life on a subconscious level.

Never smoked or vaped either. My friend from kindergarten stole his dad's cigs once and we tried smoking, but I don't think it was even a successful attempt lol. Nothing more than a funny memory.

I guess sugar and the internet are the only two addictions I have. I don't even drink coffee ?.

12 minutes ago, Slava said:

I guess sugar and the internet are the only two addictions I have. I don't even drink coffee 1f601.png.

This is very commonplace with the Millennial generation, since we were practically shaped by the internet. In a sense, we get our dopamine hits from the internet, like our grandparents and great grandparents chain smoked cigarettes until they got cancer.

There's no benefit to any addiction, but moderating and limiting your addiction can go a long way towards living a happier, more fruitful life.

• Like 1

I quit smoking last August after having smoked cigs for like 10 years straight, haven't had a single smoke since then. I still smoke weed daily, but that's a different thing entirely lol :pimp:. I hardly ever drink now a days, I went really hard on the partying and drinking in my 20's and now I've burnt myself out on all of that in my 30's so I barely ever drink. Not opposed to it though, every once in a while I'll have some beers with the homies while watching boxing/MMA or grab drinks with my gf but I feel like my heavy drinking days are behind me. I don't miss feeling like shit in the mornings and having shower beers to recover lol.  

On 5/12/2022 at 5:31 PM, Pray_4_the_End said:

I quit smoking last August after having smoked cigs for like 10 years straight, haven't had a single smoke since then. I still smoke weed daily, but that's a different thing entirely lol :pimp:. I hardly ever drink now a days, I went really hard on the partying and drinking in my 20's and now I've burnt myself out on all of that in my 30's so I barely ever drink. Not opposed to it though, every once in a while I'll have some beers with the homies while watching boxing/MMA or grab drinks with my gf but I feel like my heavy drinking days are behind me. I don't miss feeling like shit in the mornings and having shower beers to recover lol.  

It’s that college mentality. Your body can take more abuse. 

I used to work six days a week at Dollar Tree. I was with a bunch of 18 - 20 year old college kids who were just there to pay their tuition costs. We had a break room and outdoor area, which is where a lot of these kids smoked cigarettes.

At 20 years, you may not notice a difference. But starting in your late 20s and 30s, smoking really takes its toll on you. Women develop premature lines on their faces, and their teeth turn yellow. 

A pack of cigarettes has really gone thru the roof in price over the last 10 - 15 years. Average people can’t really afford them anymore. 

Alcohol I feel is worse. I’ve been around a lot of alcoholics, some of whom were young and it’s incredibly difficult to get out of that habit.

• Like 1

I had a pretty rough party life in my early 20's. Cigarettes, Weed, drinking, popping pills, you name it. All day every day...had a few years there where I was only really sober when I woke up. Stopped smoking cigarettes in 2011 and obviously don't do anything like popping pills anymore. 

I do still drink on occasion, but nothing like I used to. And the only reason I don't smoke weed anymore, it's only medicinally legal here in Maryland (I don't have health insurance to get a Doctor recommendation anyways) and I don't know anyone who sells anymore. Weed was always my go to and it's the only thing I kinda miss. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

I never developed a taste for drinking alcohol, but I do cook with it every now and then, normally on holidays. Little rum in the gravy can sweeten up a mincemeat pie. Not everyone 'gets' the game meat flavor, I understand.

I smoked cloves many a year ago for a short period, until I decided they were too expensive. I remember friends asking how it was that I quit to easily. I wasn't addicted, it was just a habit. I just changed my habit to something else.

On 26.10.2014 at 6:56 AM, Capreb said:

If not, why not? 

If you're below legal age, you don't count lol.

I don't smoke because it's stupid, it poses no health benefits, drains your money and slowly kills you to a certain degree. 

i don't drink because it's never appealed to me; I'm boring and I like money too much. 

I don't do other drugs because I'm a sadist. I apparently enjoy tutoring myself by never giving myself a break from reality.

Just wondering if anybody else avoids all that shit, if you do.

Why? 

I dont smoke or drink, because of personal reasons and faith.

Even without a faith, scientific reasons are enough to be discouraged about poisoning your body.

I am happy dispite all offerings and "social pressure" that I never did it

I quit drinking and smoking over 7 years ago, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. There are several alcoholics and people with smoking-related health issues in my family, so I recognized that I was traveling down the same terrible road. Also didn't like how drinking made feel or behave anymore.

As for marijuana or harder drugs, I've never even been interested in trying them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Never saw the appeal of smoking cigarettes or doing any kind of drugs for that matter, it's just a nasty way of slowly killing yourself as far as I'm concerned. As for drinking, the only alcohol that I've ever consumed was a  single shot of vodka my brother gifted me for my 21st birthday. I'm 25 now, never finished the bottle and don't plan to either. 

Neither are my cup of tea (nor is tea). I have had enough second hand smoke to last several lifetimes I'm sure and I don't want it first hand. As for drinking, I see what it does to people and I have yet to try an alcoholic beverage I liked - if it's "an acquired taste," why bother acquiring it?

Congratulations to those of you who have quit!

• Like 1

Don't do either, prolly because I've never really been in situations in my life where I've hung around people that may have persuaded me into trying them (+1 for being an antisocial loner). And aside from good ol' peer pressure, they just don't appeal to me regardless.

I do have one vice though, which doesn't seem to have changed since I was a young child... Sugar. I've made an effort to cut back on it as I've gotten older, and had two cavities in my teenage years. At risk of dying of mercury poisoning from my dental amalgams (I jest... mostly), or developing diabetes (my grandmother had it), I limit myself to one carbonated drink a day MAX nowadays, but I usually only have maybe 2-3 a week in general. And sweets and chocolate don't appeal to me much any more anyway, though I do have the occasional chocolate or other surgary treat (usually ice cream) now and again.

I do drink, but not to excess.  I usually have a few beers in the fridge, and will often have one when I'm watching a film.  I do drink with friends in a pub, but again, not to excess.

I don't smoke.  I did take 1 draw on a cigarette when I was 18, but have never touched them since.

Have never touched drugs, and never will do either.

Don't drink coffee either.

Hell, I don't even gamble ?, aside from the (very) occasional lottery ticket.

I do, however, take too much sugar on board.  But I am actively trying to cut down on that.

No one in my immediate family ever smoked or drunk anything, since childhood there was more bottles of water than anything else in my home(s)… I guess decades later, that never changed.

Over the years I made a few friends who would drink every other day and/or weekend but they learned… eventually to respect me enough to not try and metaphorically twist my arm into participating ?.

I never took myself too seriously so i never really had a reason needed to smoke or drink to be the occasional fool that my peers/friends etc treasured ?.

• 1 month later...