Stupid things we do in games.

angelgrievous

I have the habit, with horror games, running directly at the monster/ghost/killer on purpose cause I want a good look at them. I also wanna see if they have any kill animations and how long it takes for them to kill me. I guess it's more like testing, but I just kinda find it fun to run up on them.

In games where you can play multiple characters and those characters all have different skills and stuff - I make the character grind their own stuff even if I can unlock it universally. It makes things harder, and longer, sometimes, but for some reason I can't bring myself to use my capped characters to grind money or exp to unlock a lower character's stuff.

I also write down every in game note into a notebook. I have no idea why I do this, (might be cause I had no internet / computer as a kid) but I've always done it since the PS1. A waste of time and pointless, but I always do it because I wanna go back and read them without turning on the game... I don't have any excuses now that I have internet, it's like I'm too stupid to look at the wiki. It's habit now, I guess.

Edited by Monochrome
  • Like 4

In RPGs where you see all the party characters walking in a line, I will constantly “strafe” left to right as I walk…

…so the 1st and 3rd characters are in synch, and the second character looks like they are swinging him/her back and forth on an invisible bungee cord…

• Like 1

I think across many genres and almost all gamers, the most frequent dumb move is "item hoarding" - getting a useful, but one-off/rare/consumable item like an elixir, and deciding that it'll be useful to save for a future fight...but then you get to a hard fight, and you tell yourself "oh there MUST be something harder down the line, I gotta wait for that to use this!" and repeat that over, and over, and over...until the credits roll, and it's STILL in your inventory!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Monochrome said:

I have the habit, with horror games, running directly at the monster/ghost/killer on purpose cause I want a good look at them.

Dude your not alone. I did the same. I chalk it up to wanting to know what to lose condition is.

End up finding out there are a lot of games that are basically walking sim with spooky stuff. And no real gameplay.

• Like 1

I'll punch a friendly NPC just to see their reaction. In most games they don't react, but rare cases where they do (they'll call you an idiot, or fight back) always make me smile. I don't do that in every game though, and if it has a karma system, I'll avoid doing that at all costs 😁

This next thing is similar, but I don't do it as often. Sometimes, I'll fail a mission to see if there's a unique scene for that. For example, if your objective is to disarm a bomb, I'll let it blow up first. Ideally, I want to see a cutscene with a giant explosion. IDK if I like being invested and seeing the stakes at play, or if I just like high levels of detail in games in general. Or both.

15 hours ago, Rewemarkt66 said:

I have the tendency to roll into next areas in MGS Games, if possible.

Same. In other games too.

Similarly, if I know there's an area where a script plays out, I try to reach as far into it as I can without triggering it by doing some long jump or something.

In Crash Bandicoot 3, the wall of China levels have this trigger when you come close to the tiger. Coco makes a scripted jump, and the level starts. I would always jump closer to the tiger, which would make Coco's jump much shorter. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

If my character is on a rope and needs to jump off it, I kind of move backwards and forwards in real life, as if I was actually on the rope, to try and time my jump better.

That and leaning in the same direction as the car when driving and going round a corner, no idea why.

• 3 months later...

When im about to have all guns of  Ellie in one run no return in the last of us part 2 remaster, i didnt buy the bow so no trophy pop🤣 also, shooting the moving head of an enemy without hitting even once till my ammo runs out🤣

RELOADING 

If I was to shoot one bullet on any gun in any game with any size of magazine I got too reload 

just instinct to have as many bullets as possible 

and going for stupid annoying things called trophies 

• Like 3

For me and my friends is testing the limits of friendly fire in every game that there is co-op, nothing is off the table.
It was almost impossible playing helldivers with them since it always devolved into shooting each other or trying to run each other over with the mechs or vehicles

1 hour ago, Dinniestar said:

RELOADING 

If I was to shoot one bullet on any gun in any game with any size of magazine I got too reload 

just instinct to have as many bullets as possible 

and going for stupid annoying things called trophies 

This is me, I compulsively reload even if I've shot one bullet. I waste so much ammo in games where reloading consumes the whole mag, like Mafia Definitive Edition on Classic or using Tediore guns in Borderlands.

• Like 1

Spending an hour or more on making the prettiest girl character as possible, only to cover her completely up with armor/helmet.

(Thank God more and more games have a  "Hide Helmet" option.)

Edited by Justt--JD--
  • Like 1

My first death in alot of games comes from me testing to see if there's fall damage.

And if there's a poisonous consumable, you better believe I'm gonna have a taste.

@Fing3rButt3r3 Noticed you were called out on necroing old threads earlier, but good lord you're a true connoisseur when it comes down to it. Thanks for leading me to a buttload of hearty chuckles and some actual quality content. Will gladly take this over the ceaseless trophy thoughts threads that keep popping up.

Edited by MDTaylorXIII

I have two

1) having to save multiple times to feel like I've actually saved. You can thank pokemon for that habit.

2) in soulcalibur after I win a offline match or round, I will make Raphael waggle his sword in a fanning movement (mashing block button) as some form of weird taunt...to the computer. 

In the same vein, I tend to spin my character or something similar after completing a challenge or level. 

In a game that involves platforming or climbing like Tomb Raider or Uncharted if I get frustrated when missing a jump I will deliberately have the character jump to their death as "punishment". Even though it is me that is failing and not them.

In games with NPC collision detection like Assassins Creed when I run into someone I  exclaim aloud "Sorry Mate" or "Excuse Me" in a very British manner. Although in reality I ran into them on purpose.

In games with driving elements like Cyberpunk or GTA I will always be either driving at full speed or accelerating to full speed. Except when I inevitably crash 😀 

In open world games I will almost never use quick travel for fear of missing out on anything during the journey.

Quick travel is reserved for trophy clean up when I have finished the game and even then it is something I use sparingly.