Breaking Up With Assassin's Creed

Xel

has went?

that explains it... have you even played the game before saying shit?

"Has went" implies that he liked it before and it got worse at some point in time.

Eh, I prefer to try and forge my own opinion on a game instead of parroting whatever a youtuber user says.

Agreeing with somebody is "parroting" them? :hmm: Here I thought it was possible for two people to have a similar opinion.

You guys, among many others, get far too bent out of shape when somebody voices an opinion different from your own. They don't like the games any more, you do. Oh well. xD I'm not mad at you for buying them, despite believing they are just milking the franchise to hell. You shouldn't be mad at me or any others for not wanting to support something like that. 

• Like 2

It's silly to complain about yearly releases. You can play them whenever you want, Nobody is making you play them release day. 

I'm Hoping the next Assassins Creed goes back in time so there is not as much gun play. Also an Egyptian or Asian setting would be cool.

• Like 3

ACIV then gets released for two consoles (which is fine; not everyone upgraded to PS4) but they have the nerve to make stand alone dlc discs as well, for both consoles. Not to mention, the entire game is almost a carbon copy of ACIII by reusing the same locations, missions, animations, etc. "Alright Ubi... settle the fuck down."

...I know it's been over a year since I played Black Flag, and 2 years for ACIII's, main game...but when did Edward walk through Boston and New York? Unless you meant something different?

I agree with a lot of what you said though regarding how each new game could be seen. Rogue was severely disappointing as it was the closing game to the Kenway Saga. I enjoyed it still but it really could have gone without being made. (still has the most badass header image though good on BlindMango. :P )

Honestly I think I'm lucky enough to have held off on gaming for so long that most of the glitches everyone experiences aren't around. :/

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle
  • Like 2

Um, only Desmond dies. You see the other modern day assassins in ACIV, Rogue, Unity and Syndicate.

Ah yeah, what I meant to say is Desmond killed Lucy, then Desmond died, then you still follow the other two around but you don't really interact with them, just sort of watch them through your "hacked game console" via various cutscenes. So you're sort of watching them do stuff, but you aren't really directly involved in that story anymore. There's no more Desmond, no more modern day adventures with the crew where you control Desmond, it's just getting a peek at random stuff Shaun & Rebecca are doing in the modern world through cutscenes every now and then. :P

• Like 1

That being said, I agree with Danny about the AC universe overall. It used to feel real and believable, it used to feel like you were part of a real part of history that was going on in modern times. The WORST thing Ubisoft ever did to this franchise was kill off Desmond and his friends in the modern world. It absolutely destroyed the modern narrative of the franchise. My dream of the franchise years ago before Desmond was killed of was that the game would evolve from era to era until finally getting up to the modern times where you controlled Desmond in an almost Watch Dogs style world. After killing Desmond off in AC3, they treat the modern story as basically a video game simulation, which makes the game itself feel like a video game inside a video game, which makes it seem like nothing important is going on in the modern world and you aren't affecting anything anymore, so it's just you playing a game, playing a game, lol. That basically destroyed the realness and the overall universe of the franchise, and it still frustrates me to this day that they did that.

This is exactly how i feel about the franchise, too. I was always more interested in the modern day story as opposed to the Assassin story, getting out of the Animus and exploring the "real world" has always been the biggest highlight in the AC games for me, i had high hopes for AC3 because they kept building this huge scenario since AC2, basically... they escape from Abstergo (AC2), find the location and the Apple of Eden itself (ACB), find the location of a temple (ACR) and then find the location of the "final" temple (ending of ACR, AC3).

They kept talking about the end of the world in AC3 and i really thought it was going to be the closure of the series, what a fool i was... i can't believe they actually killed the one thing that kept this game going in the modern day. After that terrible ending which doesn't even say that Desmod died i never bought an AC game again. I've only played AC4 (and will play AC4 Freedom Cry) because it was gifted to me so i can't argue with free things, but when you get to play AC4 and look at what they did to the modern day scenario... what a complete waste of time. For me anyway... like i said, i was always curious about Desmond and how it was all going to end, but here it really feels as if they're coming up with anything just for the money, can't blame them... if it sells, why not keep releasing it?

Overall, i think it's still a great series, it just needs to calm down a little and get some... humanity back, if it keeps being a yearly-type of game then the modern day story will never get back on track and they'll always throw a new Assassin into the mix since we're now a random employee at Abstergo as opposed to one named person who has this or that ancestor and nobody else. I myself never cared that much about the Assassin so these new games are really not my type of thing, especially since the gameplay has always been the same thing (go here, kill this, climb that, syncronize, use eagle vision, blend, kill that, repeat), but i think anyone would agree that the modern day story is a complete trainwreck by now... as AVGN would say, what were they thinking...

But this is just how i see it, if you like the new AC games then i have no problem with that. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth how they decided to handle the series after some point.  :(

• Like 2

I quite enjoy AC, apart from Revelations, think I just got bored of Ezio.

AC sells, so it must be doing something right.

Revelations was shit purely because it's subtitle was a complete bold faced lie. They told us we would get to know the answers to most of the major questions and instead left us with the most confused bullshit ever. 

That being said, I have played every AC game since someone got me into the series right before Brotherhood came out. I still enjoy the games, even if sometimes they are a little cheesy and they sometimes don't match the overall theme of the series. The games I have enjoyed least though are as follows: AC III, Liberation, Revelations. I might be one of the few people, but I actually kind of enjoyed Unity. I did get it around launch, but then because of other games I put it down. So I did miss a lot of the infamous face glitches and laggy multiplayer. I really enjoyed Brotherhood, Rogue (though it was short), and Black Flag. I'm barely into Syndicate so I can't have an opinion on it just yet.

...I know it's been over a year since I played Black Flag, and 2 years for ACIII's, main game...but when did Edward walk through Boston and New York? Unless you meant something different?

I agree with a lot of what you said though regarding how each new game could be seen. Rogue was severely disappointing as it was the closing game to the Kenway Saga. I enjoyed it still but it really could have gone without being made. (still has the most badass header image though good on BlindMango. :P )

Honestly I think I'm lucky enough to have held off on gaming for so long that most of the glitches everyone experiences aren't around. :/

He's talking about Freedom Cry reusing the locations from Black Flag, in which case he is entirely correct. 

He's talking about Freedom Cry reusing the locations from Black Flag, in which case he is entirely correct. 

Given that the section I quoted is literally comparing either ACIV or FC to ACIII...it's hard to tell.

I played the dlc and stand alone title only because I enjoy the naval battles lol. Rather spend $15 on the stand alone Freedom Cry than $10-$20 on more MP maps/characters in III and IV. :P

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle
  • Like 2

I'm Hoping the next Assassins Creed goes back in time so there is not as much gun play. Also an Egyptian or Asian setting would be cool.

A good point. The guns are incredibly annoying, especially in Unity where there was no counter (like using a human shield). I much preferred having to deal with archers. 

Ancient times would be cool to go back to. Ancient Greece would be a highlight for me, but may not be something that happens given the whole "Templar" thing couldn't happen until after the Templars became a thing, which IIRC wouldn't be until after the whole Jesus thing had happened. 

• Like 1

Wonder what took people so long.  At first AC franchise seemed interesting so drew attention and back in that time these bugs were more tolerable. Last AC game I played was Unity and in 2014 , I wanted to make my own choice, instead of running away I decided to kill every guard then boom they all respawned. 
Yes, I will play Syndicate eventually since I sometimes play lame games to appreciate good ones better. 
It would be a good idea to take a break of AC and develop a decent Prince of Persia. This idea would get my hype train

Edited by MilanYildirim

Since AC 3 they've been decent (Revelations wasn't) but they just can't reach the level of epicness with Ezio because they're basically using disposable protagonists and rushing to go through one era, country and a hero in one game. Ezio had a trilogy to win our hearts and he did it great. Miss him.

Way too many people making too many great points for me to quote them all, but yeah, fully agree with Danny O'Dwyer, Assassin's Creed has lost itself.

The series started off pretty great. The concept was original, the story was interesting and the world was believable. Despite its linearity and repetitiveness, Assassin's Creed I is still my favorite of the entire franchise. The next few games, namely the Ezio trilogy, just built up on what made the first game great and took away most of its shortcomings, which made up for three memorable games, instant classics. Revelations is still my second favorite of the franchise (I guess I just like the ones that take place in the Middle East :P ).

However, by Assassin's Creed III... Yeah, I mean, they tried doing something new with the franchise, and it succeeded, but the main gameplay was still just more of the same, every single bloody year. I immensely enjoyed Revelations but even I was getting a bit tired of the franchise by that point. And yet, they still kept on churning out more games, every single year. We even got two different games in 2014 alone, that's gotta be overload if I've ever seen it.

Honestly, the annualization of the franchise is what killed it for me. Leaving the developers little to no time to improve just meant you were getting the same main gameplay every single year in a different time period with a different protagonist. There was only so much I could take. I went as far as Assassin's Creed IV before I was officially burned out of the franchise.

Oh, and killing off Desmond? Terrible move, Ubi. Most people I know just wanted Assassin's Creed to completely do away with the real-world segments, but as I can see by some of the comments in this thread, I'm clearly not the only one who enjoyed them immensely. As BlindMango said:

That being said, I agree with Danny about the AC universe overall. It used to feel real and believable, it used to feel like you were part of a real part of history that was going on in modern times. The WORST thing Ubisoft ever did to this franchise was kill off Desmond and his friends in the modern world. It absolutely destroyed the modern narrative of the franchise. My dream of the franchise years ago before Desmond was killed of was that the game would evolve from era to era until finally getting up to the modern times where you controlled Desmond in an almost Watch Dogs style world. After killing Desmond off in AC3, they treat the modern story as basically a video game simulation, which makes the game itself feel like a video game inside a video game, which makes it seem like nothing important is going on in the modern world and you aren't affecting anything anymore, so it's just you playing a game, playing a game, lol. That basically destroyed the realness and the overall universe of the franchise, and it still frustrates me to this day that they did that.

Wouldn't have said it better. Until Assassin's Creed III, you could feel that what you did in the Animus impacted the lives of the people in the present. You went in to actually bring something with you to the real world. But after Black Flag... eh, now it's just super realistic and immersive History lesson for the (unexisting) protagonist.

Edited by jrdemr
  • Like 1

Us consumers are a major part of why series are being milked year after year. We need to stop supporting game companies when they release micro transactions and DLC, its just an easy way for the companies to make their dollar out of us before we get bored of the game. If we all stopped buying content that should have originally been added in the game it will make game developers put more time and effort into their games, rather then in cooperating RNG and stuff like that to keep us from getting bored. If we all stopped buying into bad games with lots of content we gotta pay for then it will make companies try again

• Like 1

I remember thinking the original Assassin's Creed was good...until the second one came out. To me, this is still the best game in the series and looking at the direction it's going, it might always be. I'm playing Unity at the moment and I want to like it, I am really trying to like it but it's one of those games that no matter how much you want to like it and give it every chance, it gives you a reason not to. Don't get me wrong, the graphics are amazing and it's a very interesting time in life to explore, but most of the game feels so repetitive. Don't even get me started on the BROKEN mechanics.

I can appreciate that a lot of people have worked hard on this game and while I appreciate that factor, it's not enough. I agree with the above video clip, Assassin's Creed is missing something. When we have games like The Witcher 3 or GTA V that give us such a high standard of gameplay and enjoyment, why would we settle for less?

While a break may benefit the AC franchise, I love the series and haven't been disappointed in any of the games.

i can't get enough and look forward to being able to afford the 3 games I'm missing.

Hit the nail on the head!! I am yet to play Unity, Rogue or Syndicate but until I can genuinely day I disliked any one of them I will always love this series.
  • Like 1

I don't know I still enjoy the series. Although Rogue and III were TERRIBLE!!!

Hit the nail on the head!! I am yet to play Unity, Rogue or Syndicate but until I can genuinely day I disliked any one of them I will always love this series.

Also this :D If you like the rest of the series than Unity will be really awesome! The characters in that game are some of the best in the series. 
Rogue is not good... but as a fan you should still play it, who knows maybe you will find it better than I did :D
And yeah I still haven't played Syndicate, although I am looking forward to it!

• 2 weeks later...

While a break may benefit the AC franchise, I love the series and haven't been disappointed in any of the games.

i can't get enough and look forward to being able to afford the 3 games I'm missing.

I love it too, although I've been disappointed with some of the releases mainly because of glitches. I had some glitches in Syndicate, but generally I think Ubisoft has gone for a shorter, higher quality game rather than a long game that's clearly rushed (and I'm no fan of Ubisoft). They've also worked on making movement around the city more fluid, the close combat is much more fun than the sword-based fighting, and the trophy challenges are decent. The only AC I didn't like was AC3 - slow to get going and the main character was a ****. :blink:

Skipping the yearly installment here and there is how I handle the series at this point. I played 1, 2, Brotherhood, and Black Flag - and III Liberation on Vita. I skipped everything else so far. I guess I only dive in if I happen to be lacking a sandbox game, which is probably very unlikely to happen again at this point, with the number of great sandbox games coming out. I don't have time for all of them, so when it comes to picking and choosing, Assassin's Creed is no longer as high on the list, as it once was. I'm sure they're all still good, mindless fun though.

Edited by DKShadow
  • Like 1