Breaking Up With Assassin's Creed

Xel

Another amazing video from Danny, you can see that he really tries his best in every episode of 'The Point'. They're all great.

And he's* right, after games like MGS 5 and The Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed has to stop and make an effort to evolve.

Edited by Devil_Hand333
  • Like 4

Assassin's Creed has never really been my series, but that is mostly because I enjoy the "fun" gameplay vs the real. I am not saying AC games aren't fun but I would rather play a game like inFAMOUS or Saints Row where I can fly up a building as oppose to painstakingly trying to find the right route up.

I played AC2 right after inFAMOUS so it stands to reason that was a big reason why I didn't enjoy the game as much as most people. I went from a game where I was hovering over the town or whipping around on a train track firing missiles at people to a game where I had to slowly walk after someone and then spam Square a bunch of times until he was dead.

They are good games...just not for me :)

• Like 1

Ohhhhh, now I know what Im missing in the last three ACs Ive played... poor people who are chasing you and try to block you, until you throw some coins...

... Nah, wasnt serious. That was just annoying. Like in Rogue, where every 5 meters a girl is jumping on you and trying to kill you.

I dont see how AC is comparable with MGS or Witcher. I dont care for shooters or western RPGs, and now? ^_^

But in all seriousness, AC4 is my fav AC. There IS something missing, but I really dont know what it is... Maybe its just that they fucked up the present story.

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 1

AC2 was the game that actually got me really into gaming in the first place. Before I was pretty casual and after that I really started expanding my gaming repertoire. It started going downhill from Revelations but began picking up at Black Flag. Idk after every game I go maybe I shouldn't buy the game every time but my screwed up loyalty to the game that got me into gaming in the first place makes me go back and try to capture what got me into gaming in the first place. Syndicate is sounding pretty good though at least from what I've been reading.

I really don't like the annual releases.  Annual release to me are games that don't add much to a game and reuse old mechanics.  It works for sports titles which really don't need a ton of new features to make them enjoyable to the gamers that like them, it's more or less just an updated roster with new trophies/achievements.  My ex got Madden and WWE every year and neither really went overboard on redesigning them or adding new features.

Doing this with a game like this just feels like they're rushing.  The reason I gave up on the series after IV was because it was just getting to be too much.  I play too many games to focus so much time on them and trying to get caught up to understand everything (I skipped the first because it was boring and there weren't any trophies to keep me playing).  You'd think since you need to have played the previous games to understand what's going on that more time is put into them.  I really doubt they spend years working on them since they get released so often.  I love the idea of the series and I've thoroughly enjoyed previous entries but I stopped after Black Flag.  The games are terribly repetitive and there really doesn't feel like there's anything new in them.  The biggest thing I've seen added is the pirate ships, which was frustrating to learn.  I still despise getting into fights while sailing.  If the missions didn't seem like the same thing with different targets I'd probably be more into it.  I am intrigued by the new game since it has a female assassin but I doubt I'll buy it anytime soon since I skipped Unity and Rogue.

Edited by azariaspice
  • Like 1

has went

that explains it... have you even played the game before saying shit?

Lol nope haven't played syndicate hence I said WENT to shit. Unity was a abortion. I'm not buying anymore of these copy and paste buggy piles of garbage anymore. Maybe I'll get Syndicate for 20$ like Unity last year. (Note I have played every AC but Liberation and Syndicate)

I enjoyed I, II, Brotherhood, III (except the multiplayer and the ending), IV....and that's it. The others have either felt like cheap cash-ins or just repeats of the previous year. Black Flag wasn't even an AC game, it was a pirate game and that's pretty much the only reason I like it. You don't even become an assassin until after you kill the last Templar. I haven't enjoyed an AC game since Black Flag and I'm not holding out any hope for Syndicate or the future of the series.

It's a shame because it used to be a series I loved, and now it's become Ubisoft's answer to Call of Duty and Battlefield.

The WORST thing Ubisoft ever did to this franchise was kill off Desmond and his friends in the modern world. It absolutely destroyed the modern narrative of the franchise.

Um, only Desmond dies. You see the other modern day assassins in ACIV, Rogue, Unity and Syndicate.

Edited by LeetWolf2

My dream of the franchise years ago before Desmond was killed of was that the game would evolve from era to era until finally getting up to the modern times where you controlled Desmond in an almost Watch Dogs style world. After killing Desmond off in AC3, they treat the modern story as basically a video game simulation, which makes the game itself feel like a video game inside a video game, which makes it seem like nothing important is going on in the modern world and you aren't affecting anything anymore, so it's just you playing a game, playing a game, lol. That basically destroyed the realness and the overall universe of the franchise, and it still frustrates me to this day that they did that.

I like that idea a lot. That would have worked really well. In fact I would go so far as to say killing Desmond might have even worked if they worked with the new protagonist angle better. Having a silent protagonist just feels like two steps back. I mean I get they would want the player to project onto whoever you're playing as but they could always just leave it ambiguous and have dialogue choices. I remember feeling like something was very wrong the moment you were put into the real world in Black Flag because of how void everything felt. Like all the other NPC's do is stand around looking at some phone or tablet or at each other. Hardly anyone is walking around or doing busy work like you would expect at a workplace. Top that off with your character not saying anything at all just made it boring. 

It would have been nice to see Desmond's experiences in the Animus train him to become something of a more modern assassin and he goes around reorganizing the other assassin groups to fight back the Templars. Then maybe the games with simulations were him training recruits or something.

• Like 1

Normal case of "play what you like and don't play what you don't like." I'm sure people could nitpick the video the way he does with things but in the end...play what you enjoy and all that lol.

While I agree annual releases are overall bad with the AC games it's never going to change anyways. There is little you can do with the series except move from assassin to assassin throughout history. People who are bitching about the change of the series would more than likely bitch about how stale it's becoming, much like people do with CoD, had the series stayed exactly like ACII. There's not much anyone can really do except refer to my opening line. 

• Like 2