NX aka Nintendo switch revealed! (3rd party support revealed & backed by NVIDIA)

xZoneHunter

Looks interesting but I don't think it's going to catch on like Nintendo thinks it's going to catch on.

Or: it will, then Sony and Microsoft will tried to ride coattails on the same sort idea, half-ass it, then after 6 years Nintendo says "This was dumb' and abandon it completely.

Sony has kind of already done it with the Vita and remote play. It seems to be basically the same concept with the Switch having more functionality. 

Parker

• Like 1

I wont bother with this system day 1 unless they have some sort of Pokemon or Animal Crossing release that's exclusively for it. It literally seems like the Wii U &3ds in one. They're not even throwing out as many games as Sony and Microsoft, they're sucking with sales with their products to begin with as well and they decide to throw another system into the mix as well? Okay, Nintendo. You have fun with that.

..Although me being a console enthusiast. I will buy one eventually unless as I stated, either an Animal Crossing or a Pokemon game that's excusively for the system. Then I'll definitely jump on the band wagon asap.

Btw if I'm not mistaken, this system is going to be using chips?

..Although I'll be 100% honest.. Spike Chunsoft & Atlus have my attention with what games they'll be putting out.

Edited by DuckSwimmer
  • Like 1

But... 

No matter how you look at it, it's HUGE for a handheld. Like, seriously HUGE. I'm really not sure anyone would pick this with them instead of taking tablet or small notebook... It's definitely at least 7 inches, maybe even 8?

It depends on your environment. I commute into one of the biggest metropolitan areas in the US by train, for a little over an hour each way. Everyone brings a backpack or laptop bag onboard with them. I have a laptop bag that comfortable holds a 10" tablet for TV watching, as well as my Vita and 3DS XL. I don't have an actual laptop in it because I keep my laptop at work, but that would still fit, it would just be heavier. If the Switch can play movies (which Nintendo may lock down, time will tell), it could replace my tablet and still comfortably fit in my bag.

A sizable part of the workforce commutes via mass transit in the US, and even more in Europe and Asia from what I've read. Sure, lots of people still drive, but I wouldn't dismiss the Switch as being too non-portable. The Vita and 3DS XL can only comfortably fit in cargo pants anyway, and most of us can't wear those to work, so a bag is needed regardless.

I don't think this will attract much of the mobile market (who have no desire for a 3DS XL or Vita), but for those of us who like to play real games on the go, this could be great. 

It looks good to me, I'll get one for sure. I always like Nintendo exclusives (although strangely enough I've never been able to get into Zelda games), and if they can keep their 3rd party support this time, there are some games I'd rather play truly on the go instead of needing to rely on Remote Play (which is great but doesn't work on my commute, and some games have horrible controls).

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Nintendo Switch (to a better console)

Can you just stop posting in this thread already?  We get it, you don't like it.  You've made it pretty clear how you feel about a system based on a teaser trailer so why keep posting?  At this point it's trolling and completely unnecessary.  I'm all for people having their opinions and being able to state them but, we get it.  Please move on.

• Like 3

Looks exactly like what I hoped for. A single system for all things Nintendo and the possibility to play everything nicely on my TV without the need to buy 3 pieces of hardware (home console, handheld and a gameboy player/pstv type of thing).

Lemme be the one to derail the hype train here, as Nintendo has already kinda sorta lied to us about this console. Bethesda has announced that Skyrim maybe will NOT be coming to the Nintendo Switch, despite being shown in the trailer. They have confirmed they're working on developing games for the system, they are not confirming any titles as of yet. While this does not mean that Skyrim is for sure not coming to the system, the fact that they're responding to the video immediately and saying "Well, we're not announcing anything yet, despite what the whole world saw in the announcement trailer, so don't get your hopes up yet" is pretty significant.

What do you all think of this response?

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/skyrim-not-confirmed-for-nintendo-switch-despite-a/1100-6444660/

The concept seems interesting but there are too many open questions to say whether I will care for it or not.

One thing I'm curious about is the screen size. I read that it would be a 7" display which would be kinda big (maybe too big) for a handheld IMO (!). If you attach the Joy-Cons it should be similar to the size of the Wii U-gamepad (which has a 6.2"-screen) and for me, the Gamepad is too clunky.

I'm also curious how the screen scaling of HUD-elements and co. will work. The HUDs on newer games seem to be optimized to look normal on screens with a size of 40" or greater (especially those subtitles x__X ) but when they use the same font- and element-sizes on the handheld it might stressful to read them.

Some other things that come to my mind that still need to be answered before I will consider a purchase:

- Region-lock yes or no? (Rumors say it has no region-lock, Finally Nintendo!)

- Account-system: Will I finally be able to use one NNID with multiple devices of the same type?

- Virtual Console: Will everything start from scratch again and do we have to repurchase everything? Or will we get the Switch-version for free once it's there?

- For download games: How big is the internal storage? Will it be extendable or can you switch it? Rumors say it's only 32GB which is not nearly enough to keep a larger collection of download games on it.

- About the docking station: Will it have an ethernet-port? The WiFi of the Wii U is horrible. Even my PS3 is performing better than this piece of shit (and the LAN-adapter only has Fast Ethernet, really?)

I'm quite surprised how many questions I still have. But the Wii U was a big letdown for me. I may have played it for about 30 to 40 hours in the two and a half years I own it. :|

NO WAY O.O It can't be that good o.O

Considering that most of the rumors Emily Rogers summed up in her blog about two months ago it seems to a possibility at least:

Region Free (No region lock)

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/rumor-what-should-we-expect-from-the-final-nx-product/

Cooling is still a little noisy

Still I hope that this rumor about cooling won't be true or that they will fix this shit. The Wii U is as horrible as the PS4 in that regards. =\

How I miss the days of SNES, N64 and the PS1, where the only noise was the disc going back and forth.

Edited by Crimson Idol

If I recall correctly, the Wii U had a lot of developers on board when it first launched but that support didn't last too long after launch. 

Parker

Yep, exactly same happened with Vita. And I fear same will happen with VR (maybe not so fast but) So now no one should trust on starting advertising campaign.

Considering that most of the rumors Emily Rogers summed up in her blog about two months ago it seems to a possibility at least:

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/rumor-what-should-we-expect-from-the-final-nx-product/

Still I hope that this won't be true or that they will fix this shit. The Wii U is as horrible as the PS4 in that regards. =\

What do you mean by this? The PS4 is region free.

Also, it will be weird if this thing has noisy cooling, since portables have always been silent as far as I can remember.

- Account-system: Will I finally be able to use one NNID with multiple devices of the same type?

- Virtual Console: Will everything start from scratch again and do we have to repurchase everything? Or will we get the Switch-version for free once it's there?

- For download games: How big is the internal storage? Will it be extendable or can you switch it? Rumors say it's only 32GB which is not nearly enough to keep a larger collection of download games on it.

- About the docking station: Will it have an ethernet-port? The WiFi of the Wii U is horrible. Even my PS3 is performing better than this piece of shit (and the LAN-adapter only has Fast Ethernet, really?)

I'm quite surprised how many questions I still have. But the Wii U was a big letdown for me. I may have played it for about 30 to 40 hours in the two and a half years I own it. :|

Nintendo would be stupid to not extend NNIDs to have multi-device functionality like PSN does. But they often ignore common wisdom, so know hows.

For the Virtual Console / eStore, I suspect Nintendo will do something like they did with Wii U, where re-buying Wii U versions of games you owned on Wii cost $1 or so. That's a smart way to do it, and one of the Wii U's underappreciated features. Maybe they'll even go further and make upgrades from Wii U / 3DS versions free. One can dream, right?

One of the smartest moves Nintendo made was making the 3DS use SD cards, and giving the Wii U external HDD support. I would be surprised if they don't keep using SD cards with the Switch (I'm thinking its memory is all on the gamepad and not on the docking station base, so external HDDs wouldn't make much sense).

I would guess that it will be WiFi only. Sadly, most consumers are lazy and put up with WiFi because of the convenience, to the point that manufacturers often don't bother with Ethernet. Anyone who works in IT knows the benefits of Ethernet, but we aren't the majority of consumers.

The value of the Wii U (and probably the Switch) depends on how much you like Nintendo first-party games. I thought it had great games (and I don't like Smash Bros, Mario Kart, or Zelda, knocking at least 4 games off the list of Wii U "must haves"), but it didn't have enough of them.

One thing Nintendo absolutely needs to do with the Switch is build up the game library quickly. They need to fill the eStore with frequent releases, getting it up to parity (and beyond) with Wii U and 3DS. I should be able to buy all the classic NES/SNES/GBA/DS games when this thing first releases. Gamecube and Wii ports would be nice too. They will probably trickle out releases like the past generation though, and not learn their lesson. It's great that they were releasing fairly frequent ports of GBA and DS games on Wii U, but why would gamers want to play portable games on the Wii U when the Gamepad can't move very far away from the main unit? The Switch is much more appealing for those portable games, so they better be on there fast. And of course they need to crank out new games too.

I think it's already clear that the switch will have a ton of games, but most of them will be older releases (just like the Wii U had) However, now they can be played outside too.

The biggest concern for me is how powerful this thing is going to be. It has already been confirmed that the dockstation is purely used to charge the device and output the video to your TV. Which means that everything is in the tablet. So, my biggest concern right now is what exactly the thing is capable off.

Not interested at all. Even tough the concept is interesting, it seems like a half-arsed gimmick. The presentation was just stupid and no infos on anything about it is likely an indicator of a lot of disappointing features.

Apparently the price is supposed to be around 350$-400$ with a far less powerful processor than xboxone or ps4 have, and the battery-life is supposed to be average at best.

Not to mention, none of the games shown seem to actually run smoothly  nor at high res or even at a reasonable fps rate. They tried to be clever in showing footage that either was static or had little to no movement.

Nintendo should have just focused on a new handheld, which is what they're good at and just step back from the home console idea for good.

Edited by voodoo_eyes

What do you mean by this? The PS4 is region free.

Also, it will be weird if this thing has noisy cooling, since portables have always been silent as far as I can remember.

Sorry my bad. I see the layout of my post looks kinda odd. What I meant was the noisy cooling. Will fix that this won't happen again.

Yes, they are/were always silent but I can imagine that the waste heat in such a device can get quite big if you excessively play unoptimized games (--> higher CPU usage).

Nintendo would be stupid to not extend NNIDs to have multi-device functionality like PSN does. But they often ignore common wisdom, so know hows.

I hope that this time they will follow common wisdom.

One of the smartest moves Nintendo made was making the 3DS use SD cards, and giving the Wii U external HDD support. I would be surprised if they don't keep using SD cards with the Switch (I'm thinking its memory is all on the gamepad and not on the docking station base, so external HDDs wouldn't make much sense).

The thing with the SD-cards is definitely a pro of the 3DS. Especially since you can upgrade your SD simply by copying all content from one to another.

I would guess that it will be WiFi only. Sadly, most consumers are lazy and put up with WiFi because of the convenience, to the point that manufacturers often don't bother with Ethernet. Anyone who works in IT knows the benefits of Ethernet, but we aren't the majority of consumers.

True point. I'm glad that Sony still adds the ethernet-port to their consoles, otherwise it would be a personal big PITA to download larger games.

The value of the Wii U (and probably the Switch) depends on how much you like Nintendo first-party games. I thought it had great games (and I don't like Smash Bros, Mario Kart, or Zelda, knocking at least 4 games off the list of Wii U "must haves"), but it didn't have enough of them.

One thing Nintendo absolutely needs to do with the Switch is build up the game library quickly. They need to fill the eStore with frequent releases, getting it up to parity (and beyond) with Wii U and 3DS. I should be able to buy all the classic NES/SNES/GBA/DS games when this thing first releases. Gamecube and Wii ports would be nice too. They will probably trickle out releases like the past generation though, and not learn their lesson. It's great that they were releasing fairly frequent ports of GBA and DS games on Wii U, but why would gamers want to play portable games on the Wii U when the Gamepad can't move very far away from the main unit? The Switch is much more appealing for those portable games, so they better be on there fast. And of course they need to crank out new games too.

The Wii U-lineup is filled with a nice list of exclusives but honestly none of them really catched my interest for too long. But this isn't Nintendo's fault. They try to produce a large variety of genres and even published some obscure choices (e.g. the untypical Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third) but there still were some genres with a lackluster choice. There's barely any racing game with normal cars (is there even one besides Need for Speed: Most Wanted?) or (J)RPGs. And the wide area of Action-Adventure, TPS and Hack'n'Slash also has only a few games (two of them being the already mentioned Bayonetta or Devil's Third). And those are genres where 3rds come in. I hope that they will only promise to support the Switch but will also stick to that promise.

About filling the eShop:

As they will, more or less, combine the handheld and the console section I assume the output for the Switch will be much higher than for the Wii U. The U will die rather fast (some say it's already dead) and I assume the 3DS will only be supported by the 3rds after the Switch is released.

The Wii U-lineup is filled with a nice list of exclusives but honestly none of them really catched my interest for too long. But this isn't Nintendo's fault. They try to produce a large variety of genres and even published some obscure choices (e.g. the untypical Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third) but there still were some genres with a lackluster choice. There's barely any racing game with normal cars (is there even one besides Need for Speed: Most Wanted?) or (J)RPGs. And the wide area of Action-Adventure, TPS and Hack'n'Slash also has only a few games (two of them being the already mentioned Bayonetta or Devil's Third). And those are genres where 3rds come in. I hope that they will only promise to support the Switch but will also stick to that promise.

About filling the eShop:

As they will, more or less, combine the handheld and the console section I assume the output for the Switch will be much higher than for the Wii U. The U will die rather fast (some say it's already dead) and I assume the 3DS will only be supported by the 3rds after the Switch is released.

This assumption on our part only makes sense if the Switch is the successor to the Wii U and the 3DS. They still haven't confirmed that. Maybe they're trying to not decrease sales of their existing systems by avoiding words like "replacement" or "successor", but it's confusing, especially when we had those statements from key Nintendo people (I think Iwata or Miyamoto said it wasn't a replacement) suggesting otherwise.

If they are trying to do something like continue with the 3DS (notice the Nintendo website calls the Switch the new "home" gaming system) alongside the Switch, those libraries might not merge after all. The true indicator will be if the Switch starts getting core Pokemon games. It's interesting to note that among all the 3DS and DS games the Wii U Virtual Console got, it never got core Pokemon games (only spin-offs). It did get Mario and Zelda though.