Bolivia files formal complaint with France over Ghost Recon Wildlands

Bolivia is unhappy their country is being portrayed as being controlled by drug cartels in Ghost Recon: Wildlands and have filed a formal complaint with France. Ubisoft is basically saying it's just a game. The Bolivian government has also said they're considering legal action.

Bolivia Files Formal Complaint to France Over Ghost Recon Wildlands - IGN

Totally agree with Ubi on this one...it's just a game!

This brings me back to the Far Cry 4 box cover controversy. If the cover features a white supremacist and he acts as the main antagonist in the game that you are supposed to take down, then let it be, it's a fucking story. Video games among other things are a story-telling medium and it's the same for Ghost Recon: Wildlands. If a story wants to show Bolivia as a drug-heavy country then let it be. I really hope Ubisoft doesn't change anything in response to this unlike Far Cry 4.

5 minutes ago, olimoo101 said:

This brings me back to the Far Cry 4 box cover controversy. If the cover features a white supremacist and he acts as the main antagonist in the game that you are supposed to take down, then let it be, it's a fucking story. Video games among other things are a story-telling medium and it's the same for Ghost Recon: Wildlands. If a story wants to show Bolivia as a drug-heavy country then let it be. I really hope Ubisoft doesn't change anything in response to this unlike Far Cry 4.

Well, they already have responded that it's just fiction. Doesn't sound like they are. Kinda convenient of Bolivia not to complain until just before it comes out.

Why do they only ever seem to do this with videogames? When movies ask similar "what if" questions - "what if the Nazi's won the war?", for example - no one seems to give a hoot. As soon as a videogame attempts to go into this territory it's grounds for an international incident? 

I'm sure the Bolivian people have bigger concerns...

• Like 1

Oh well Bolivia is gonna Lose.

I Doubt they can do anything, the game is releasing, there shouldn't be anything really that makes this a problem plus it's all a fictionary game, seems to me hat more than Offended the Bolivian Governament is trying to get some money for itself.

Plus as said by Stricken, i doubt Bolivians Cares, they ahve wayyy more Huge problems the governament is trying to avoid with this (Eih like every country :p) 

Lol. They made a game about a virus being let go in NY, one of the most important states in the US, and nearly everyone dying. We didn't care. Did Russia get mad over the No Russian mission in Modern Warfare 2? I know there was a little snafu here in the US about it but did we ever hear from Russia personally? 

12 hours ago, skateak said:

Lol. They made a game about a virus being let go in NY, one of the most important states in the US, and nearly everyone dying. We didn't care. Did Russia get mad over the No Russian mission in Modern Warfare 2? I know there was a little snafu here in the US about it but did we ever hear from Russia personally? 

Or Russia always being the bad guy in nearly every shooter

• Like 1

On 03.03.2017 at 3:55 PM, skateak said:

Did Russia get mad over the No Russian mission in Modern Warfare 2? I know there was a little snafu here in the US about it but did we ever hear from Russia personally?

Maybe because this mission was entirely removed from the Russian version of MW2 and not so many Russians had actually played non-censored Western version.

On 3/3/2017 at 4:16 AM, StrickenBiged said:

Why do they only ever seem to do this with videogames? When movies ask similar "what if" questions - "what if the Nazi's won the war?", for example - no one seems to give a hoot. As soon as a videogame attempts to go into this territory it's grounds for an international incident? 

I'm sure the Bolivian people have bigger concerns...

To be fair there was some pushback from Fast and Furious 5 with the way Brazil was depicted. However you are right this traditionally happens to video games mainly because no "big name" person or corporation ever defends video games. In the 90's there were always groups trying to ban things in movies but the studios and actors stood together and always got the noise reduced. That support structure doesn't exist for games.

Why so mad ? It's supposed to be a fictional depiction of Bolivia in a damn game or is the government of Bolivia actually afraid that Ubisoft hit right in the nail and it's describing what actually happens in the country?

Who knows ?