Does unplattable = unplayable?!?

Bullstomp

Unplattable Games - Collect Dust or Play Anyway?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Unplattable Backlog

Looking at my mountain of backlog I see a lot of games that can never be platinumed due to closed servers (Resistance series, MK vs DC, CoD:BLOPS 2, WWE series, etc). My question is if you have a game that can't be completed, does it collect dust or do you pop it in anyway?

I have only a couple of games that can't be platted - Darksiders II (PS3), Rack N Ruin (patch broke the game) - that I haven't started, but purchased. In both of those cases, when I bought the game, they could be completed.

I won't play them now. I also won't purchase games that have unobtainable trophies.

I have started to slow down buying new games due to my backlog. There is little point in purchasing a game I won't play in the near future, especially if it becomes unplattable by the time I get around to it (Darksiders)

Edited by diskdocx
  • Like 1

I'm at peace with the fact that I can no longer achieve a 100% profile, so I'll play them (when I have time, all the low percentages games in my profile are games which I have to replay or games i will never touch cause they didn't match my expectations), every trophy count after all ?

• Like 2

In my case they are bottom of the backlog. So I will do them whenever I feel like playing them (which probably aint the case since they are older games or I litterally have nothing else to play (which won't happen since my backlog is to big with "decent" games.

But I don't really mind to play a unplattable game.

Edited by Bumperklever

14 minutes ago, MythRaider1994 said:

I want to keep a 100% profile, so I don't think I ever could.

I'll play them but I admire you 100% guys. I've always wondered how much it dictates what you play. Do you still play everything that interests you or does the 100% keep you away from certain genres?

I'll mostly skip them but if they peak my interest enough then I would. Same goes with games already on my profile before they become unobtainable. 

FEAR 2 was a game I played having known the platinum was unobtainable and I was glad I played it.

22 minutes ago, paranoia_agent85 said:

I'll play them but I admire you 100% guys. I've always wondered how much it dictates what you play. Do you still play everything that interests you or does the 100% keep you away from certain genres?

Completion doesn't affect my choices much, Ill play anything so long as it can be completed.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, paranoia_agent85 said:

If I REALLY want to play a game, I'll play it without considering trophies. However, there are very few games I want to play that badly, so in reality I skip games that are unplattable in favor of other games I want to play that are plattable.

With so many games that I'm interested in, I really don't feel bad prioritizing those I can plat over those I can't. It's kind of nice to have a way to eliminate some from contention, TBH.

• Like 3

I'm playing a few at them moment that I know I can't plat. I'm enjoying them so I keep on keeping on. If I lose interest or dislike a game & I can't plat it, it'll go away real quick. Which sounds obvious but I want my value for money, usually if I don't like a game I've purchased I still find value in the plat. Without it though, it's not worth the time. 

12 minutes ago, Mcbeanstr said:

I would never buy something I never thought of playing it eventually. Plat or no plat if the game looks good i'll get to it

Actually I am alluding to you buy a game when its still popular, it sits in backlog and next thing you know servers are closed. Happened to me with White Knight Chronicles 2. In such a situation what do you do?

3 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

Actually I am alluding to you buy a game when its still popular, it sits in backlog and next thing you know servers are closed. Happened to me with White Knight Chronicles 2. In such a situation what do you do?

Oh in cases like that I guess there is only one option. It would be a real shame to not try it out for a bit though

Like others they are demoted to bottom of the backlog.  I play a few 3DS and Switch games, which do not have any achievements, but I'd rather focus on games that can still be platinumed while I still can.

I have Gran Turismo 5 and Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) that are now unplattable and while I like those games I won't play them now for probably a very long time.  Sometimes I get lucky with games like CoD BLOPS 2 in which I get the unobtainable trophies prior to becoming unobtainable, but a lot of the time I'm never lucky.

I play what I want though regardless of what I say.  If I want to have fun in GTA again I'll probably play through the story again and try to branch out from decision I made last time.