Does unplattable = unplayable?!?

Bullstomp

Unplattable Games - Collect Dust or Play Anyway?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Unplattable Backlog

I think when you avoid games because of trophy difficulty/closed servers ect. you are taking it a bit far ( my opinion) because the whole point of gaming is to have fun and have an enjoyable experience. For me a lot of the CoD games are unplattable because I won't ever waste my time on zombies but I will always play them on my main even if I only get 10% completion because I love the multiplayer and enjoying a game > having a plat in said game. Thats my 10 cents 

• Like 4

Just now, ItsMeMartyy said:

I think when you avoid games because of trophy difficulty/closed servers ect. you are taking it a bit far ( my opinion) because the whole point of gaming is to have fun and have an enjoyable experience. For me a lot of the CoD games are unplattable because I won't ever waste my time on zombies but I will always play them on my main even if I only get 10% completion because I love the multiplayer and enjoying a game > having a plat in said game. Thats my 10 cents 

Kinda agree, except for the fact there are so many great games out there that have no trophy issues. So why bother with a game with issues if there are tons of awesome titles that work properly?

• Like 1

Just now, Bullstomp said:

Kinda agree, except for the fact there are so many great games out there that have no trophy issues. So why bother with a game with issues if there are tons of awesome titles that work properly?

Yeah I personally have never run into this issue but I can see people maybe wanting to play an older game due to nostalgia ect. and honestly I wouldn't even judge them if they played on an Alternate account. I think my point gets away from the main topic a little because I'm saying that you shouldn't avoid games you would potentially enjoy a lot because the trophies are really difficult or too time consuming. 

• Like 1

I tend to avoid most multiplayer games anyway, so it's only rarely an issue for me. But yeah, there have been games I would have liked to play such as the Resistance series, but by the time I got a PS3, those platinums were unobtainable. I don't really see it as a big deal though. I mean I have literally hundreds of games in my backlog at the moment, so missing out on a few games isn't the end of the world. I'll just play something else.

Yes, trophies are the single most important thing in a video game. Anyone who says something else is just a filthy casual. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paranoia_agent85 said:

I'll play them but I admire you 100% guys. I've always wondered how much it dictates what you play. Do you still play everything that interests you or does the 100% keep you away from certain genres?

If I hear a certain game has an insanely hard list, I'll stay away from it. I probably shouldn't, but what can I say, my trophy OCD has taken over my good sense. Luckily for me though, practically all the games I really want to play have easy lists.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

Actually I am alluding to you buy a game when its still popular, it sits in backlog and next thing you know servers are closed. Happened to me with White Knight Chronicles 2. In such a situation what do you do?

This happened to me with Bulletstorm.  Bought the game not too long after it came out (on PS3) and left it on the shelf for a while.  Finally started dabbling in the online Anarchy mode, levelled up a reasonable amount, and got 2 of the 5 MP trophies.  Then I shelved the game again to concentrate on whatever else I was playing at the time.  Even when I heard the servers were going down, I still didn't finish up the MP.  After the shutdown, I eventually booted the game up again and played through the story and Echoes maps, getting every last non-MP and non-DLC trophy along the way, and I had a great time doing so.

I've started some games knowing full well I would never platinum them - mainly fighting games like Injustice and Super Street Fighter IV.  In short - I wouldn't let a few unobtainable (for whatever reason) trophies stop me from playing a game that I wanted to play.  Trophies aren't everything.

• Like 1

I will never play a game because of the trophies.  I will play more of a game for trophies though.  I don't give a damn about my "perfect" account or profile and neither does anyone else.  If that's what you're into then so be it, but if you pass up on games because of trophies, well, I don't know what to say about that.  It's weird to me.  

• Like 3

Many games I have unfinished are ones I just haven't really dedicated the time to. Witcher 3, Fallout 4, DOOM to name a few. 

The issue I have is my terrible internet connection. If I had a fast solid line I would of played Tom Clancy's The Division and Paladins at this point. That's pretty much next to impossible until I move into an area that services better internet speeds. 

But even if I have a stable, fast connection, I probably still wouldn't bother to get the online trophies in Uncharted 2 or 3, or complete GTV V since I now have to play online TWICE. The latter just isn't going to happen, and it's the type of game that is much better played casually, rather than spend hours upon hours getting those ridiculous optional objectives done in the main missions, and hunting those collectibles on a very large map. 

I do what I can. If I can't get it, I can't get it. You just need to move on.

• Like 1

Will still play them all.... eventually

Have now installed nearly all of my backlog, and there are quite a few that were unplattable before I actually even got around to installing, lol. Am eternally grateful that I don't care about my completion rate, just having a virtually endless range of options for what to play. :)

• Like 1

I've been a gamer far longer than a trophy hunter, so if a game can't be platinum or has none at all (100% only), I'll still play it. May take a while longer to finish and be bumped way down on the priority list but I'll get to it some time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

Looking at my mountain of backlog I see a lot of games that can never be platinumed due to closed servers (Resistance series, MK vs DC, CoD:BLOPS 2, WWE series, etc). My question is if you have a game that can't be completed, does it collect dust or do you pop it in anyway?

I Play Them Regardless If The Platinum Is Not Available.Cause Trophies Are Just There For Fun, If Someone Only Plays Games For Trophies And Not For The Game It Self Their Not Real Gamers, Remember Games Didn't Have Trophies On PS1,PS2, Etc, We Played For Fun. ?

• Like 1

Sort of for me, only cause I jump between many games and leave many unfinished.  But really, my answer is a simple no, I still have games like MKX (granted, I've yet to play it some more) that I don't or wont get the platinum in anytime soon, but I'd still play them regardless.

Only games that probably would be unplayable... would be those that are online only :P

17 hours ago, DaivRules said:

People who don't give games that might potentially one of their favorites of all time because of a few or even single unobtainable trophies make me sad. That's depressingly myopic. If nothing else, it's a great use for a second account.

Gran Turismo 5 is on my profile and of the two now unobtainable trophies, I actually did one while playing back in the day, but never bothered to do the second piss-easy one. Oops! Oh well.

I get this is a trophy hunting website, but whenever I see a 100% profile all I can think of is how artificial it is.

Nice job making fun/ridiculing the hard work and dedication that people who have a 100% account put into it... eburkulosis' profile was not artificial, it had lots of hard games and lots of tedious games, like Uncharted 3 and Star Ocean 4. But he had 100%, so that makes his whole account artificial and irrelevant I guess. Oh well. He should start an impossible game and fuck up his years of hard work just so people like you don't call him artificial I guess.

Why would I waste my time with a game I can't even finish when I have plenty of games I can finish?

• Like 2

I have never bought a game before just for the trophies.

someone might looks into my trophies list and say, so what a game like tales from borderlands and my name is mayo are doing there?

for something like tales from borderlands, is because I still have a place in my heart for point and click adventure games, been a fan of this type of games since those old 2D point and click PC games and the broken sword series on the ps1 and ps2. 

my name is mayo can also considered a point and click game, though, a cheap one.

before buying it I saw a game play of the steam version on YouTube and I kinda liked the puns, meme and jokes it throw at you, so I never continued the vid to not spoil the rest of the puns to experience them myself, then the game hit the ps4 with a price of only around 80 cent!

got the game and kinda enjoyed the puns.....

the laughs only lasted a couple of minutes before it ends and get old so quick, explain why this thing is super cheap.  I thought the game will have some future updates later and get more new puns to explore but it seems that's the whole game.

33 minutes ago, yellowwindow7 said:

I have never bought a game before just for the trophies.

someone might looks into my trophies list and say, so what a game like tales from borderlands and my name is mayo are doing there?

for something like tales from borderlands, is because I still have a place in my heart for point and click adventure games, been a fan of this type of games since those old 2D point and click PC games and the broken sword series on the ps1 and ps2. 

my name is mayo can also considered a point and click game, though, a cheap one.

before buying it I saw a game play of the steam version on YouTube and I kinda liked the puns, meme and jokes it throw at you, so I never continued the vid to not spoil the rest of the puns to experience them myself, then the game hit the ps4 with a price of only around 80 cent!

got the game and kinda enjoyed the puns.....

the laughs only lasted a couple of minutes before it ends and get old so quick, explain why this thing is super cheap.  I thought the game will have some future updates later and get more new puns to explore but it seems that's the whole game.

I've certainly bought some games just for the trophies - i'm not embarrassed about it (and I'm certainly not in a minority on this site, regardless of what people tell themselves) but I do try not to make a habit of it.

I think its more important for me to not *avoid* buying games because of trophies.

there are some on my list where easy trophies were a draw and the games were terrible (Terminator Salvation, some  awful WWE game are two that spring to mind) but there are others where regardless of my spurious reasons for purchase, the game turned out to be great (Trine / Jazzpunk / Guacamelee).

In the end, i've bought games for a litany of dumb reasons, from the Trophies to the Box Art to the Price to the presence of a particular character or voice actor, and the ratio of how many turned out to be good or bad is pretty much the same across the board.

Horizon having very easy trophies doesn't make it not great, and conversely Sniper Ghost Warrior having a tough list doesn't make it not a really dull, boring game.

The only tragedy is the idea of that game that would be your favorite of all time, which you would have bought if not for the difficult/ impossible trophy. That would be a true loss - and it is one I try to never experience.

I will never get all the trophies in Guitar Hero 5. I do not regret the fantastic time I had playing it with my now wife and our friends. I wouldn't trade those times for a 100% profile - even if on occasion that incomplete game nags at my completionist brain!

• Like 2

Depends on what unplattable means. If it's an extremely difficult plat, I'll go for it anyways. I enjoy being challenged and if I triumph over it, my ego will get a huge boost.. If it's unobtainable due to servers being closed or a game-breaking glitch or whatever, I'll probably play it on my PC with better graphics and more accurate controls, in addition to the fact that I won't be harming my completion percentage.