Do you continue to help people long after getting platinum?

Mizztec

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

abosuletly, yes...I'm big into charity both inside and outside of gaming...i do sometimes ask people to wait a few days/weeks/months if what they're asking involves a lot of time and I'm busy with my own life and games...also not a fan of "yo bro, help me with (game/trophy name) bro" and tend to just ignore such requests...as a general rule, if a person can't be bothered to even attempt showing a minimal amount of courtesy/class to someone they don't know, I'm not going to bother spending any time on them either...it's even worse if they have this entitled attitude just because I've helped one of their friends...it's like "yo, I'm not a volunteer prostitute, bro"...haha...

online co-op has been one of the greatest innovations in gaming imo...so much so, i've actually built my psn friends list around people I share this mentality with...so many good games with awesome co-op features out there that I'm happy to return to...in the case of gta iv, I love the ftc missions so much I'll actually browse the sessions here regularly, offering my help...I get to play and be helpful in a game I really enjoy in a manner I enjoy, speedrunning the missions, and others get to earn their trophies and hopefully find them enjoyable at the same time as well...everyone walks away satisfied...

also worth noting that to me charity = free or not at all...things tend to get messy when money is involved and I earn more than enough as it is...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 2

As in boosting for MP games?  No way.  I was miserable trying to earn the few achievements/trophies I have that required MP and that's why I avoid those games now.

Now as in stuff like answering questions on forums and such?  Gladly will help to the best of my ability in providing info and tricks I figured out, especially for games that are more niche or obscure and don't have trophy guides.  I really wish sometimes this site would let me write guides for single trophies since I'm usually not into writing something for a whole game and many games only really need a guide for a couple of trophies or general tips to help people get the hang of the mechanics.

When it comes to games I've already finished, I generally only help people that I've known for a long time. When it comes to boosting trophies I generally stick around until everyone has what they got. Since I finished Red Dead Redemption I've mostly deleted the people I've boosted with, since we generally don't play the same games afterwards.

• 1 year later...

Really falls into 3 buckets for me...

1. You're a friend, and I pop on a game if I own it and help out as I can

2. It's a game I play regularly (I used to give a ton of Veteran items away on Rocket League when I played it regularly), and it's not an incredible hassle.

3. You don't fall into either bucket, I will offer advice and how I achieved it, but it's up to you to actually do it. 

I will be honest, I don't know if it is my brain going hyper fixation on things or my lack of motivation to go to a game that I liked again and that I grew liking, to be something I do go back on to help or even play on my own terms have fallen out of me hard. Unless it is a dead game that requires a second person for its multiplayer stuff, I don't, my brain moves on knowing that while it was fun, I cant go back and play it for the hell of it. brotherhood and revelations in the ac series were so fun and I never rushed it, not even the multiplayer. Though when servers were said to close, apparently they are still available though just no way of earning the trophies, I rushed out with folks in the multiplayer discord and went on my way to get it all. even then I do not have a dedicated group to grind out trophies on games like that. i like to go for black ops 4, other cod and ac games, and even wanna work on the multiversus due to it closing soon in june. To help others though is also dependent on my time. Ima cringe kid when it comes to fortnite, it is my fixation but I do play other games to grind and enjoy lol, but I don't go out to do other multiplayer like that out of my own will honestly.

If you're a friend or you're somebody I've been playing with at the time where we've both been mutually benefiting then I pretty much go into overdrive trying to help out the other party finish whatever else they need if asked. I'm also more than happy to re-install games and spend hours helping a friend out (or in the odd case install a PS+ or free game just for them). 

There used to be a time when I'd play certain co-op games where I'd jump into random matchmaking and if they needed help with anything I'd join up with them and stick around to help. Helping random players for me nowadays is definitely not a generous thing though, it's actually totally selfish in my circumstances as I'm effectively just using them as a means to enjoy the game in another way and still have some active goals/have a bit extra motivation to redo specific tasks. I kinda don't really care all that much who they are and I'd probably happily dip out and abandon them whenever I fancy heading off because I haven't made any real commitment to them to truly 'help' help until the very end (unless of course we get along pretty well and would like to play together in future).

I also refuse to carry. By that, I don't have a problem carrying if you are struggling with the game but I want to at least see you try to participate. I had a moment that stands out in my memory from Payday 2 (on Big Oil for those familiar). My companion who wanted help just hid away somewhere really safe doing nothing and was just waiting for me to give them the engine to carry to the exit once it was safe to do so, so I actively chose to give them the WRONG engine carry to the exit first time and kept the right one to escape with next opportunity (so the level didn't take forever to finish) just so they specifically did not get the trophy they wanted for escaping with the correct engine first try. It's pretty silly and petty, but if you want help then please at least try to do your part xD.

Complete strangers of which I've never played or spoken with prior? Nope, no help at all. I do still get the occasional random messages (presumably from recent player lists from here) and I don't even acknowledge them. I don't mean to be rude necessarily by ignoring them, it just feels easier to avoid feeling like I gotta at least give them advice or something by engaging in conversation or feeling like I have to justify saying 'no' (heck, some people get super entitled about it). Easier to just ignore, most are bound to have sent the message to multiple other people so it's not like they'll really notice or care over every person who didn't respond. I may decide to reply with helpful advice if I feel like they were especially polite and the message seemed more personal and not presumably a copy/paste sent to a load of other people.

I've had the rare monetary offer out of the blue to help with something (or in some cases do the thing entirely via shareplay for them) and whilst those also get ignored lol, at least the person is offering some form of compensation for my time and isn't behaving as if they're entitled to my time and effort.

So yeah, generally I do think I help and have helped a bunch over my past years. Generally help out less so nowadays and I can be a bit picky with it these days but still... I do the thing from time to time just typically my own enjoyment comes first, I've (at least somewhat) gotten over my whole people pleasing phase.

No, not really. I'm usually content with helping people I'm boosting with and then moving on to the next project.

I've had a few truly petty encounters in my PS3 days though that stand out. Thankfully though those type of persons are far and few in-between. 

Depends on the game and usually I would only do it if it's a game I really enjoy and if the trophy involves co op or something. Dead Nation for example I've helped people out with long after I got both platinums because it is so fun to play. Elder Scrolls Online too, since I play that almost every day and have all base game and most DLC trophies so I know the requirements and am familiar enough with the game to know how to get them, and I actually enjoy the game. 

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on the game. Marvel Heroes Omega before it went poof? I two weeks coordinating with other players to try and get as many people to platinum as possible before shut down. Partly because the shut down announcement was abrupt and unfair, mostly cause I just liked the game. Dauntless, another game I like? I'm not really the guy for a carry, but I don't mind clearing escalations if I'm already at it.

I always help people out with games, especially with MP grinds! My rule is that if you helped me on my journey to get to platinum, I'm definitely sticking around until you finish your game! 

I did that with Kane and Lynch 2 just a month ago as well! Unfortunately the group I joined had a bunch of members that were near the end of their journey who basically moved on as soon as they were done their stuff, leaving me behind. Which in my mind is a despicable boosting habit to ditch like that, so if those people ever need help with trophies again, I know to not play with them ever again!

I ended up taking over the boosting group after they left and coordinated weekly boosting sessions for new members each week!

I finished my grind within 2 weeks, but I stuck around for another 3 weeks until every person that joined along the way got their trophies done too. And because others saw me doing that, the rest of the boosters also stuck around when they finished so that everyone was caught up!

I ended up helping over a dozen people finish that MP grind last month!

Which of course is that way it should be, but lots of people are selfish and leave as soon as they are done.

As for helping with a game after getting the platinum years ago (aside from Call of Duty zombies for friends), I probably wouldnt. As I usually delete my games and sell them after so it's unlikely.