Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kale

Have you ever thought about retiring from video games ?

34 posts in this topic

Never thought about it and don't think I will. I'm an Atari baby so it's been decades,,,,

something in my brain has a hard time processing the idea behind this thread...retire from gaming?...no idea...the future is now...i just stopped playing tony hawk for the night so I guess that makes me retired...likely I'll unretire tomorrow night but who cares?...still plenty of now until then...now it's time to sleep so I guess I'm technically retired from everything but that...good night/morning/aft/evening... 

22 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

The unfortunate thing about games, unlike other entertainment mediums, is that they're long and require a level of focus that reading a book or watching a movie just don't. 

Yup. My wife tells me this all the time. She likes to read trashy novels. I like to play video games. Unfortunately, she more easily puts down the trashy novel than I put down the video game.

17 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Yup. My wife tells me this all the time. She likes to read trashy novels. I like to play video games. Unfortunately, she more easily puts down the trashy novel than I put down the video game.

I always thought it was funny when I find myself, or others, saying that they're "working through their backlog".  It's true though, games are work.  Often (but not always) satisfying and rewarding work... but still.  Whether it's grinding out a trophy, whether it's fighting a seemingly impossible boss or platforming through a seemingly impossible section, whether it's digging around every nook and cranny for where to go or what to do next.

When I'm stressed, the last thing I want to do when I get home is work more.  Which is why gaming gets set aside easier than most things.

And that's why the Telltale games or "games that are more like movies" have become popular I think, and shouldn't necessarily be written off so easily by the irritable "hardcore" crowd.  Yeah, they're easy to digest, the lack of gameplay is matched by the heightened narrative, they're shorter, episodes are 2-3 hours tops, etc... but it's the opposite end of the difficulty spectrum (versus say, the Souls games) and certainly have their rightful place in a gamers collection, and in the gaming industry.

Edited by Dreakon13

Absolutely. With how much of a train wreck I’ve been this year emotionally, I’ve thought a few times about just selling everything and moving on to something else completely. 

Yes, if circumstances force me to retire, then I would retire from video games even if it sucks to do so.  As much as I love video games, there are other things in my life that are more important.

It’s not a job, it’s a passtime.

I’d no more ‘retire’ from gaming than I could ‘retire’ from reading or watching movies. 

Sometimes I go through a spell of playing less, or not at all, then I’ll come back, but it’s not a concious effort involved. It’s just how your life fits at that time.

Can't imagine a life without it. Grew up with it and not planning any time soon to abandon it