Have you ever thought about retiring from video games ?

Kale

something in my brain has a hard time processing the idea behind this thread...retire from gaming?...no idea...the future is now...i just stopped playing tony hawk for the night so I guess that makes me retired...likely I'll unretire tomorrow night but who cares?...still plenty of now until then...now it's time to sleep so I guess I'm technically retired from everything but that...good night/morning/aft/evening... 

22 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

The unfortunate thing about games, unlike other entertainment mediums, is that they're long and require a level of focus that reading a book or watching a movie just don't. 

Yup. My wife tells me this all the time. She likes to read trashy novels. I like to play video games. Unfortunately, she more easily puts down the trashy novel than I put down the video game.

17 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Yup. My wife tells me this all the time. She likes to read trashy novels. I like to play video games. Unfortunately, she more easily puts down the trashy novel than I put down the video game.

I always thought it was funny when I find myself, or others, saying that they're "working through their backlog".  It's true though, games are work.  Often (but not always) satisfying and rewarding work... but still.  Whether it's grinding out a trophy, whether it's fighting a seemingly impossible boss or platforming through a seemingly impossible section, whether it's digging around every nook and cranny for where to go or what to do next.

When I'm stressed, the last thing I want to do when I get home is work more.  Which is why gaming gets set aside easier than most things.

And that's why the Telltale games or "games that are more like movies" have become popular I think, and shouldn't necessarily be written off so easily by the irritable "hardcore" crowd.  Yeah, they're easy to digest, the lack of gameplay is matched by the heightened narrative, they're shorter, episodes are 2-3 hours tops, etc... but it's the opposite end of the difficulty spectrum (versus say, the Souls games) and certainly have their rightful place in a gamers collection, and in the gaming industry.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

It’s not a job, it’s a passtime.

I’d no more ‘retire’ from gaming than I could ‘retire’ from reading or watching movies. 

Sometimes I go through a spell of playing less, or not at all, then I’ll come back, but it’s not a concious effort involved. It’s just how your life fits at that time.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I quit gaming in the late 90s and came back to it around 2009 I think.

I quit because at the time, the camera in games was awful. Most of the difficulty in the original tomb raider, was fighting with the camera.

It was also around the time that I left school and got a fake ID. So I spent most of the 2000s drunk or at work. Sometimes drunk at work.

I don't think I'll ever quit gaming again in the same way. I'm not as social as I was back then. I do however think that me and modern gaming are on borrowed time. I think this might be my last modern console generation before I go completely retro.

• Like 1

Yes.  I've taken hiatuses from gaming.  Several years ago, I took about a year or so off from gaming and then again I took another 2 1/2 years off from gaming.  The second time was....2 years, 8 months or so ago thereabouts.  Both times I sold all of my systems (4, 3 and Vita) and when I got the bug again for gaming I went and bought all three systems again. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️ I don't see myself doing that again.  Now if I get burned out or run down from gaming or trophy hunting, I just take a break from it, take some time off from it.  Like almost everything, there is burnout from gaming....ESPECIALLY trophy hunting.  Platinums are work. 

• 3 weeks later...

I often think about it. It seems as I get older, the less patience I have for games. I also find my skills have seemingly dimished over the years. I'm 40 and been gaming virtually all my life. but between the price, lack of patience, lack of skills, and the every rising price of games, the greediness of developers and shameless microtransactions etc. I often think its time i put the controller down and find a new hobby. I dunno, model trains always seemed fun, might give that a try.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, funboy1246 said:

I often think about it. It seems as I get older, the less patience I have for games. I also find my skills have seemingly dimished over the years. I'm 40 and been gaming virtually all my life. but between the price, lack of patience, lack of skills, and the every rising price of games, the greediness of developers and shameless microtransactions etc. I often think its time i put the controller down and find a new hobby. I dunno, model trains always seemed fun, might give that a try.

If you think the price of gaming is expensive, you're going to want to NOT do train models lol. 

• Like 2

It's possible. I'm kind of in the middle of a long streak not watching movies in my home. I went to cinema a few times in these two years but I'm unable to watch a movie for some reason. I didn't decide suddenly, "I'll retire from watching movies", I just never feel like it. The last one was probably.. Barbie?

We all have different hobbies and maybe we give more weight to some of them at different times in our lifes.

Edited by Jeanolt

i remember in my 20s i really didnt get a chance to explore ps2 as much as i wanted to. at the time i didnt care because i actually left the house to hang out with friends or i had to work. but in the ps3 era when i got back into gaming i realized i missed alot and it kinda sucked. but now im in my early 40s, no wife, no kids, a giant house and practically retired in the country. i dont think ill retire because i dont really have anything else to do most of the time. if by some chance i meet some chick that changes me life or i have a kid ill prob cut back on gaming and focus on them and going out more again. instead of buying games ill be spending money on outside activities and etc. for now i keep trying new goals to keep myself entertained. see how many shovelware plats i can get in one month, or do the total opposite and play a long game, maybe go for a rare trophy, see whats on my backlog and finish some of the games at 1% or at least bump them up a bit to make my completion higher. i think once i hit level 999 on ps ill prob slow down a bit and get into some longer hour games more often again. one thing thatll stop us all though is carpel tunnel lmao. when i was younger i got my dad heavily involved in genesis and ps1, he loved it. he randomly bought a intellivision console when i was prob like 4 or something and he always played dungeons and dragons. i always thought that was neat because he really had no interest in gaming the way we do on these forums. but when ps3 and ps4 came out and i was showing him the graphics and games i remember he couldnt play them because he would get really dizzy and sick. it was really sad. id try to find games like bowling where the screen didnt move much. sometimes your just forced to quit with age. 

• Like 2