The Love Boat

5 minutes ago, donut_plz said:

A fair bit.. check out all the pink writing in the guide on this site under various trophies.

Thanks for pointing it out. I just read up on those. I know there was tons of bad press about the game at launch. Was it just a mess without the patches, or was it fine and just not meeting hype expectations?

10 minutes ago, donut_plz said:

Im not sure. I haven't played the game yet as the first review wave killed it from my "Need to Buy at Launch" list.

Never did get around to picking it up yet as I have way too much to play as it is.

I was basically handed it for free by a disappointed co-worker. I wasn't very tempted to play it previously, but I've heard the updates have made it much better so I am willing to give it a try. I play mediocre games all the time and find a lot of enjoyment out of them. I generally think gamers are overly harsh on reviews. Also, after three months, the vast majority of gamers act like any game is shit because they are on to the next shiny thing. For this game, it leads to an interesting dilemma on if I want to play this patched or unpatched. I will read the guide more carefully, there may be a best of both worlds scenario. 

Edited by Toogie53

30 minutes ago, Toogie53 said:

I was basically handed it for free by a disappointed co-worker. I wasn't very tempted to play it previously, but I've heard the updates have made it much better so I am willing to give it a try. I play mediocre games all the time and find a lot of enjoyment out of them. I generally think gamers are overly harsh on reviews. Also, after three months, the vast majority of gamers act like any game is shit because they are on to the next shiny thing. For this game, it leads to an interesting dilemma on if I want to play this patched or unpatched. I will read the guide more carefully, there may be a best of both worlds scenario. 

I'm not familiar with No Man's Sky and the issues that came up with it, but I do very much agree that often gamers are overly harsh on reviews.  It's even worse on PC where there are an infinite number of configurations possible between all the different types of hardware, versions of OSes, software, and how updated people's drivers are.   And PC gamers expect that all of this was tested and they don't have any issues at all and if not, they just give a bad review and ask for a refund rather than giving the dev a chance to resolve the issue (which many will and that can help others).  At least with consoles, there is a finite amount of configurations possible and testing is so much easier and that's why issues on consoles don't come up nearly as much as they do on PC.

However, I also do firmly believe that part of a good product is supporting it.  A good dev is going to fix issues in a timely manner as they find them, because often players find stuff your testers didn't find because players try weird things that no one else thought of and some of those things may cause bugs to come up.  See the nice thing about modern gaming is that these devs can release updates and fix issues, unlike in the past where if a bug was found after release, there was no fixing it.   Though at the same time, the lack of ability to update did lead to more solid releases, but those old games also had a lot less code involved than modern games that are massively huge and the more code involved, the more chance for bugs in the code.

14 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

I'm not familiar with No Man's Sky and the issues that came up with it, but I do very much agree that often gamers are overly harsh on reviews.  It's even worse on PC where there are an infinite number of configurations possible between all the different types of hardware, versions of OSes, software, and how updated people's drivers are.   And PC gamers expect that all of this was tested and they don't have any issues at all and if not, they just give a bad review and ask for a refund rather than giving the dev a chance to resolve the issue (which many will and that can help others).  At least with consoles, there is a finite amount of configurations possible and testing is so much easier and that's why issues on consoles don't come up nearly as much as they do on PC.

However, I also do firmly believe that part of a good product is supporting it.  A good dev is going to fix issues in a timely manner as they find them, because often players find stuff your testers didn't find because players try weird things that no one else thought of and some of those things may cause bugs to come up.  See the nice thing about modern gaming is that these devs can release updates and fix issues, unlike in the past where if a bug was found after release, there was no fixing it.   Though at the same time, the lack of ability to update did lead to more solid releases, but those old games also had a lot less code involved than modern games that are massively huge and the more code involved, the more chance for bugs in the code.

I'm involved in software dev myself and I agree with what you are saying. Ive spent days and days writing test cases for new software features and have never had a project completed where shortly after launch an end user hasn't found something or did something we never even thought to consider. and what I am involved in is way less complicated than game dev. 

As far as no mans sky goes, I think its mostly they failed to deliver on promises and not a broken buggy game.

Edited by Toogie53

50 minutes ago, Toogie53 said:

I'm involved in software dev myself and I agree with what you are saying. Ive spent days and days writing test cases for new software features and have never had a project completed where shortly after launch an end user hasn't found something or did something we never even thought to consider. and what I am involved in is way less complicated than game dev. 

As far as no mans sky goes, I think its mostly they failed to deliver on promises and not a broken buggy game.

Yeah, and that's also an issue because they need to either not promise things until they can deliver them or delay release until they can deliver all they promised.

Anyway, update for me!  I've maxed out my characters in FFXIII and have gotten 4 trapezohedrons when I need 6, but I know a trick that just needs a bit more cash and I'll be able to turn my last one into three of them and finish off the tier 3 weapons and then all I need are dark matters and the gold watch from mission 64 and I'm done with upgrading.  Pretty much said trick I know involves burning one of my traps on a tier 3 weapon I won't need and then maxing it and dismantling it which nets me three of them and I only need maybe 1-2 platinum ingots more worth of gil to do this.  So all that remains is missions 62 and 64, need to redo 54 now that I'm maxed since I failed to 5 star it last night because I tried it too early, farm 5 dark matters and kill a Long Gui and I'm done with this game.

And I admit, the game had amazing timing and gave me a 4th trapezohedreon on the last turtle I needed to kill to max out the party.  At this point, I'm so sick of farming turtles and supposedly it's another few hours of to get the needed dark matters, ugh.

• Like 1

@ladynadiad Cheers to the end of a grind! Those are good days. 

@Jesaya815 I just read that the Mafia 3 dev studio just laid off most of their staff. That sucks! Mafia 3 was their first game and I thought it seemed promising we'd see some really cool stuff from them in the future. From what I read it seemed like they were never able to get a follow-up project out of a prototype stage. No cheers for this news. Boo.

Edited by Toogie53

14 hours ago, Toogie53 said:

I stayed up late last night to finish the playthrough. I've actually done like 1.5 playthroughs because I restarted in the middle because I wasn't keeping track of who I flipped and who I killed. This time I just killed everybody. Next time, I need to flip all the bosses and informants. I don't have the cool slow down feature. I read about it the other day because it's part of a trophy called Pop! Pop! Pop! or something like that. I'm a bit worried about finishing my list too. I'm still going to push forward until I know I can't. Then make a substitution if I need to. This game definitely took more time than I thought. Mostly, I've enjoyed it. And I've done some random things to entertain myself. Like block all four directions of an intersection with cars just to watch the NPCs pile up and eventually have a stand off with police who can't figure out how to get to me because there is no open path. 

I think I have flipped everyone so far, but only time will tell. If i end up not getting the specific trophies, I'm going to have to change my list a bit too. Still hard to say how long it'll take to complete it the full game. Maybe two more weeks or so - even without the DLCs.

Sounds like you got some good payback on the police while fooling around. Serves them right, considering they often can be such a pain in the ass xD .

4 hours ago, Toogie53 said:

@Jesaya815 I just read that the Mafia 3 dev studio just laid off most of their staff. That sucks! Mafia 3 was their first game and I thought it seemed promising we'd see some really cool stuff from them in the future. From what I read it seemed like they were never able to get a follow-up project out of a prototype stage. No cheers for this news. Boo.

Oh man, this is such a shame. I know the game got some bad reviews, but in all honesty I don't get why people hate it or find it so boring. To me, Mafia 3 is one of the best open world games I've ever played. There is so much to do and to explore. The map is gigantic, the soundtrack simply amazing. The developers really did a fantastic job and must've put a lot of effort and money into this one. Sure, it can be repetitive sometimes, but in Breath of the Wild for example you basically do the same over and over again and that game was praised like hell.

• Like 1

Friday update:

40% Uncharted Lost Legacy

I know I keep saying I'll start Journey, but I keep getting distracted. I am going out of town for the weekend, so my next update won't be until Sunday night.

11 hours ago, Toogie53 said:

So am I!

I tend to cover the broad spectrum though: software dev, software engineer (there is a slight difference), and web dev. I even have QA in my background.

2 hours ago, ShogunCroCop said:

Friday update:

40% Uncharted Lost Legacy

I know I keep saying I'll start Journey, but I keep getting distracted. I am going out of town for the weekend, so my next update won't be until Sunday night.

So am I!

I tend to cover the broad spectrum though: software dev, software engineer (there is a slight difference), and web dev. I even have QA in my background.

I work in a systems analyst role. I am the go between for business and dev. I talk to the business people and find out what their needs are. Then I go through the existing processes and software until I understand how everything involved works together. Then I plan solutions. If it involves development of software, I then draft the requirements document that the dev team will work from. They are free to design and develop as they wish, as long as requirements are met. I consult heavily with dev while they work on the project. They have their own dev QA. But I draft test cases and organize people for the user acceptance testing portion. Once it's dev complete and user accepted, we deploy the updated software. Then the next few days is usually spent watching for bugs and weird behaviors. Which there always is something.

8 hours ago, Jesaya815 said:

Oh man, this is such a shame. I know the game got some bad reviews, but in all honesty I don't get why people hate it or find it so boring. To me, Mafia 3 is one of the best open world games I've ever played. There is so much to do and to explore. The map is gigantic, the soundtrack simply amazing. The developers really did a fantastic job and must've put a lot of effort and money into this one. Sure, it can be repetitive sometimes, but in Breath of the Wild for example you basically do the same over and over again and that game was praised like hell.

I'm so into the soundtrack on this game. I never got the Rolling Stones before because I am a child of the 90s. They were just these crazy old guys to me. As I looked up some of my favorite songs in the sound track, I found three or four were the Stones. So I obviously liked what they put out in their early days and never realized it. I wish there was a little more Elvis in there. If I had to pick just one Elvis song, I would have picked the one they did though. They picked some good jazz and blues music as well. I can't really think of any song I don't like somewhat. The only thing that got annoying was the radio jingle for the Native Son thing. 

• Like 1

FRIDAY UPDATE!

Well, it's Friday again. I didn't do much this week besides work my way through Mafia 3. I've talked about it a lot already so I'll let this update be brief. My weekend is busy because I'm celebrating V-Day tonight and have friend stuff Saturday and family stuff on Sunday. I'm going to take a break from Mafia for a week or two. So I'm deciding what to play next. I'm going to complete the last trophy I need for Resogun to pop that platinum, but that's not for the event. I think I'll probably work on Ratchet and Clank and see if I can finish my first play through. I think I was more than halfway when I stopped before so it shouldn't take too long. 

I'll be updating percentages etc. starting now. So if after an hour or so you're stuff looks wrong, please comment so I can take a look. 

Edited by Toogie53

Just now, GoldenShaka said:

I guess everybody starts their list already, but if your in need of a Companionship related game I would recommend World to the west, cute and easy.

Good luck to all of participants. :)

We've started but I allow people to make adjustments to their lists any time they want to. So your suggestion will probably be helpful to someone that needs to find something less time consuming or difficult etc. I appreciate you chiming in.

2 minutes ago, Toogie53 said:

We've started but I allow people to make adjustments to their lists any time they want to. So your suggestion will probably be helpful to someone that needs to find something less time consuming or difficult etc. I appreciate you chiming in.

You're welcome. ?

I'm hoping to have Nier Automata done by the end of the week. I've already expressed how amazing I think the game is so I'll save that until I finish the game :P. I've also been working my way through Aqua's reports in BBS and it's going much quicker than I thought it would. I've still got another 30-40 hours of grinding though because I get to do it all over again with Ventus and Terra. I'm so excited :rolleyes:.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Toogie53 said:

Really? Me too, I'm a software dev, well I haven't finish collage (hopefully in the next few months), but I have been working profesionally for about two years ?

P.S: I agree with what you say too, I feel ya ?

• Like 1

UPDATE:

So I'm literally two districts away from finishing LEGO City Undercover which means that I'll be able to start Yooka-Laylee! :D Has anyone played it here as I'm a little worried about being able to finish it within a reasonable time frame as I'd still love to play through Kingdom Hearts for this event and also because I'd love to play it. Anyway, here are my stats for you @Toogie53.

Skyrim - :platinum: 

LEGO City Undercover - 70%

Yooka-Laylee - NOT STARTED

Kingdom Hearts - NOT STARTED

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Uchiha_Snake__ said:

Really? Me too, I'm a software dev, well I haven't finish collage (hopefully in the next few months), but I have been working profesionally for about two years 1f601.png

P.S: I agree with what you say too, I feel ya 1f61d.png

Looks like we have a few involved with development in or event here. Although, I have something in the works that would put me more into a business role than a technical role. It is related to that interview I mentioned a couple weeks back. They are still in the recruiting phase on that. So I am stuck waiting because I was the first one they interviewed. Also, a good friend was promoted in the past two days and has already approached me about back-filling his previous position. So that one is on the table just waiting for me to say yes. Either way, I think a title change will happen for me within a couple weeks. 

25 minutes ago, Toogie53 said:

Either way, I think a title change will happen for me within a couple weeks. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and will be interested to see what happens in the future!  

Edited by PermaFox
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

UPDATE:

So I'm literally two districts away from finishing LEGO City Undercover which means that I'll be able to start Yooka-Laylee! :D Has anyone played it here as I'm a little worried about being able to finish it within a reasonable time frame as I'd still love to play through Kingdom Hearts for this event and also because I'd love to play it. Anyway, here are my stats for you @Toogie53.

I got you updated. I don't have any first hand experience with Yooka-Laylee but a buddy told me to expect about 20-25 hours to platinum without a guide.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

UPDATE:

So I'm literally two districts away from finishing LEGO City Undercover which means that I'll be able to start Yooka-Laylee! :D Has anyone played it here as I'm a little worried about being able to finish it within a reasonable time frame as I'd still love to play through Kingdom Hearts for this event and also because I'd love to play it.

I started on Yooka-Laylee... Its not too difficult but there are a ton of collectables. Id say @Toogie53s estimate of 25 hours is about right.

• Like 1

Here, I have a short Friday update.

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/2e9156/L5e9b45.pnghttps://i.psnprofiles.com/games/78ccd7/L51c25e.png

I haven't made any progress on my games, but I am gonna have to replace FFX with a shorter game since I just can't do a long RPG right now. I'm going with Unravel, a cute little game that I think fits the relation "ship" fairly well. Like the wiki says: " the yarn that makes up Yarny represents love, and that the character unravels as they travel away from what they love." I think that line sums up why my choice works~

My current percent in Unravel is 32% :)

Edited by ShakeNBake663

First Friday Update:

Hi all, I've just returned from Mexico today so it's time to get back to this event.

Before I left I completed episode 2 of Guardians of the Galaxy so I'm at 40% for that game.

While away I was only able to play a bit of Ratchet & Clank 3 but was able to bump myself up from 0% to 12%.

Now that I have access to my consoles again, I'll try to complete Amy or GotG while continuing R&C3.

[Thanks @Toogie53 for swapping out R&C 2 on my list for R&C 3 ?

But since I was almost complete it before February; I'm gonna try to finish the third game for this event.?]

Edit: I forgot this was my first update so I've added everything since the event started.

Edited by masaru-san
  • Like 1