Feeling of emptiness after platinuming a game?

13 hours ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

I just got the platinum for Witcher 3,it took me a long time to do literally the last 2 weeks of just playing the Witcher 3 and nothing else I thought I would be happy or something after all the work it doing repetitive tasks like playing Gwent and head shotting enemies with a worthless crossbow but I feel....nothing, it's not regret as such because I have another platinum but I thought I'd be happy or have some sense of achievement but I don't right after I got the plat I deleted the game 2 minutes later and started considering what I should plat next if anything.

Has anyone else had this feeling and how do you deal with it? 

This in general

12 hours ago, BHK3 said:

Same here. I'm trying my best to have fun with some games and I do, but once I get that plat the empty feeling sorta doesn't go away. I'm playing a game right now after I platted it and I get hit with a "you could be doing something else right now" feeling :(

and this in particular could be hinting at a depression or at least a depressive mood. Keep an eye on it.

14 hours ago, turpinator1986 said:

You didn’t mention at all in your post anything about the enjoyment of the actual game. If your sole purpose is to simply plat the game and move on I might suggest not bothering with games like the Witcher 3. That’s an enormous game made to be enjoyed, not simply a tool to add plus 1 to your total plats. If that’s all you’re looking for play short indie games instead perhaps. 

I try to only platinum games I like I try to avoid ones that are just easy like my name is mayo etc.

3 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

It's not the destination that matters, it's the journey. Enjoy the ride towards the platinum and if it becomes a massive chore or you hate it, just move onto a different game that interests you. Always play the game for the game. The platinum should always be the bonus part to your experience, if it's the only part of the experience, it'll just be a life of gaming emptiness.

like Kittet3 and Cripsy_olog say, it's the journey, the effort behind the work in order to get the ambitious platinum that is important, it's meaningful (at least to me).

Personally, i love the Arkahm series and i taked my time playing it, without rushing it: after getting the platinum, i re-played these games twice, three times obtaining again the 100% in each save; i've played the Witcher 3 discovering everything, trying to take different routes and dialogue options; games like Grim Fandango will have a place in my heart forever and i tryed to platinum it without a guide and (oh boy), that was a bit challenging, nevertheless i loved the humor and the characters were so enjoyable; i'm playing right now Skyrim and after 80 hours i've seen like the 30% (maybe less) of the whole game.

I often tend to achieve the platinum after i have done like everything the game has to offer: I see it like the last page of a book that i have enjoyed, the last words that close the last chapter of the story, the testament of the end of a good/wonderful trip; i'm playing for fun and after that for trophies, not playing for trophies hoping it will be fun.

Someone sees it like a challenge for himself/herself (like Super meat boy) and it's righteous ; but i I not like to see it like a cold counter that keeps groving up, i don't want to see my platinums like a mere number.
It's the same topic over and over - quality or quantiy. It's up to you to decide which route you want to take.

• Like 2

Okay, you can sell the game now

-Deadpool ???

I used feel the same way

I feel proud and happy but maybe just for a minute

And i decided to write a review about it

Anything your thoughts with your own style, I post it on Facebook

When i lose motivation, i read my old post, remind me the joy of platinum hunting

That's why you shouldn't play shit games just for platinum ?

Edited by FreddySM14
Typo

Even though I know it can be tough if your gaming time is limited, personally what I've done over the years to keep gaming/trophy hunting as enjoyable as can be is to make sure that I'm working on more than one game at any given time, not so much that it becomes overwhelming of course, but enough to have options in case you need a break from a game or you aren't enjoying it as much as you know you should be (since for me playing a different game then coming back to it a few days later always helps me enjoy a game that much more and keeps things fresh). Plus I like to have a game that I can always simply play for fun, without worrying about trophies (usually a multiplayer game such as Friday the 13th, Rocket League or Fortnite). Of course this might not be for everyone but it's certainly worked great for me :)

shaneyboy619.png

my questions to op would be : what feeling were you hoping for?...and how did playing the game itself make you feel?...is the feeling of emptiness one you experience outside of gaming?...

there is the classic spiritual statement of "true happiness cannot be found in things that come and go"...which inevitably leads to the question "well, what on earth doesn't come and go?"...and the closer you think you're getting to the answer the further you're actually drifting from the truth...haha...

• Like 2

In my opinion, playing the game should be the most satisfying part of the game. When I get a platinum, I move on to the next game because I have a huge backlog to get through but I don't feel empty afterwards, I feel great. If it's getting repetitive and see yourself getting bored, don't continue with. Go back to it later. I don't delete a lot of games on my PS4 even if I after platinum then because I know I'll want to play them again. There are some exceptions though. 

8 hours ago, turpinator1986 said:

If trophies didn’t exist I probably wouldn’t have played half the games I have...yet. Reason being i trophy hunt partly due to OCD making me want to try and complete everything but mainly because I think games are so grossly over priced I see it as a way of getting the most possible value out of a game. I think the best games are ones where you complete the story and you only have like 2 or 3 of the trophies popped then you gotta do a crap load of other stuff to get the plat. I have a rule where I won’t spend over £30 on any game, so I don’t get games on release days, with a couple of exceptions. If games didn’t have trophies in my eyes that would drop their value for money so I probably wouldn’t spend more than £15 on a game, meaning I wouldn’t have yet played a lot of PS4 games I already have. 

I actually agree with you on most of those points. I think it stems from when I was back at school and had little savings from the odd weekend job so I wanted to get my money's worth with any game I bought. It also meant I didn't have a lot of games back then so I had a lot more time to pour into each title I bought. These days I may have a lot more capital, but I still refrain from purchasing anything that isn't received well by users and critics alike. I pretty much only pick up new titles on sales since I have so much to get through as it is, but I'm slightly more stringent than you and cap it at £20 (even then only if it's an extremely popular title like Persona 5 and if I can see myself playing it relatively soon). Typically, by the time I have a chance to play the newer titles there are already GOTY/complete editions that would save me even more on the cost of DLCs.

I too like trophy lists that get you to explore the vast majority of a game, as long as it doesn't involve countless hours of mindless & repetitive grinding. Creative trophies are also quite fun since you end up performing acts that you wouldn't have typically thought of via normal gameplay.

I do however think that a trophy list shouldn't affect the perceived value of a game either -vely or +vely. It may well be the case, but I don't think it should be. In my opinion it should be justified on factors like music score, cinematics, story, scripts, gameplay, controls, graphics, voice acting etc. A trophy list to me is more of a bonus concept and doesn't really change the monetary value of a game. I actually don't even download free PS+ titles that are poorly reviewed because I'd rather not waste my time with such drivel for the sake of a quick or free platinum.

An example of what I meant earlier is that there are a lot of god awful Indie titles that people wouldn't have touched with a ten foot pole had it not been for their easy trophy lists.

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 1

Depends on the game.  Sometimes I'm relieved to finally finish a game, other times I wish the game was longer.  

I have mixed feelings on starting a new game - learning new controls, new collectibles, trophies.  But, if the previous game was a dog, then I welcome anything.

Sometimes this happens to me when there's a long gap between the trophy or two and finishing everything else.  For Persona 5, which I absolutely loved, I have basically everything done in one playthrough but some things that required two.  So I started another one.  I happily rewatched parts of it I wanted too with the Japanese audio but by the time I got to the actual last trophy I was ready to move on to another game.  I don't mind the grid, I mind when there's just one "holdout" trophy I'm working on but mentally I'm ready for another game. 

I can't really relate as I'm always overjoyed with a sense of achievement whenever I platinum a game, especially if it's a long and hard one. I also feel "free", like the game was binding me to a relentless circle of grinding and repetition, and I'm the type who has to play the same game until the plat so it's like a relief to get to move onto the next game. I really felt this after the really grindy plats like FFXIII and Tales of Berseria where it felt like a million hours. Even my brother was like "you're always playing that game, don't you have anything else?" when I playing Berseria. 

8 hours ago, Ethan said:

Well, I'm 17... So I don't know what your felling 1f61c.png

Then (as a bloke who used to be 17 during the last century) my advice shall be: Enjoy all you can, while you can. Before you know it you’ll be older than your teacher that looks soooooo old to you right now ;-)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

I actually agree with you on most of those points. I think it stems from when I was back at school and had little savings from the odd weekend job so I wanted to get my money's worth with any game I bought. It also meant I didn't have a lot of games back then so I had a lot more time to pour into each title I bought. These days I may have a lot more capital, but I still refrain from purchasing anything that isn't received well by users and critics alike. I pretty much only pick up new titles on sales since I have so much to get through as it is, but I'm slightly more stringent than you and cap it at £20 (even then only if it's an extremely popular title like Persona 5 and if I can see myself playing it relatively soon). Typically, by the time I have a chance to play the newer titles there are already GOTY/complete editions that would save me even more on the cost of DLCs.

I too like trophy lists that get you to explore the vast majority of a game, as long as it doesn't involve countless hours of mindless & repetitive grinding. Creative trophies are also quite fun since you end up performing acts that you wouldn't have typically thought of via normal gameplay.

I do however think that a trophy list shouldn't affect the perceived value of a game either -vely or +vely. It may well be the case, but I don't think it should be. In my opinion it should be justified on factors like music score, cinematics, story, scripts, gameplay, controls, graphics, voice acting etc. A trophy list to me is more of a bonus concept and doesn't really change the monetary value of a game. I actually don't even download free PS+ titles that are poorly reviewed because I'd rather not waste my time with such drivel for the sake of a quick or free platinum.

An example of what I meant earlier is that there are a lot of god awful Indie titles that people wouldn't have touched with a ten foot pole had it not been for their easy trophy lists.

Best trophy list I ever had so far is this war of mine. Great little game and the trophies encouraged you to explore all the various approaches to the game and use all the items in trying to keep your little peeps alive. 

Worst one is the order. Got all trophies except one in the first playthrough without even checking the list. And the campaign was only seven hours long. *sigh*

That's because you played it for the plat. Once your goal becomes just for the plat. You just don't care for Lore much. Or you just played it for so much you really cant wait to get rid of it. Totally been there. 

Nope. "Great! That was fun!" if it's a game I enjoyed playing and then look for it on Steam or another platform to do it again. "Great, now I never have to deal with this game ever again!" if it's a game I didn't enjoy. Never felt empty or anything negative after platting a game.

it happens to me a lot of times, there some games I enjoy really a lot that even make me thing on buying the DLCs (that's the case right now with Borderlands 2) there are other games I would like to buy the DLCs to replay them but some are too expensive imo for example the ones from Mass Effect 3

But yeah, welcome to this generation of gaming ?

On 3/3/2018 at 3:27 PM, Tusked-Lattice said:

I just got the platinum for Witcher 3,it took me a long time to do literally the last 2 weeks of just playing the Witcher 3 and nothing else I thought I would be happy or something after all the work it doing repetitive tasks like playing Gwent and head shotting enemies with a worthless crossbow but I feel....nothing, it's not regret as such because I have another platinum but I thought I'd be happy or have some sense of achievement but I don't right after I got the plat I deleted the game 2 minutes later and started considering what I should plat next if anything.

Has anyone else had this feeling and how do you deal with it? 

After a long game like that, which I thoroughly enjoyed to boot, I always feel that sense of emptiness, and I usually drift between 3-5 games trying to find something interesting to me.

It’s happened to me on occasion. Never spent much time thinking about why, just moved on. 

Interesting to think about. I may start documenting this for myself and see what kind of correlation there could be. 

Right now playing Wheels of Aurelia which is pretty terrible, I think i’ll enjoy getting the plat and putting it behind me but it wouldn’t surprise me if there was some sadness/emptiness as well because i feel like i’m gonna miss the characters. 

SGW2 was my last plat and i love fps games but that one didn’t do much for me and neither did the plat. 

Edited by audiopile