Most overrated game on PS4?

LaWiToR

4 hours ago, LuciaRosethorn said:

-Final Fantasy XV - most of the people who like it haven't play any of the others and all of the fans hate it. Its not a FF game in my eyes.

I've been playing FF since 1991, and I straight up loved the game, as did everyone I know, bar maybe one or two. It wasn't a perfect FF game, but it was A BIIIIIG improvement on the XIII-trilogy, that was god awful...

Not really a PS4 game, but when I think overrated, immediately UNDERTALE comes to mind... I couldn't even complete that game! The battlemechanic sucked, the "humour" was just tedious and forced, and as soon as that platinum popped, I deleted that trainwreck...
Also, Gundam Versus... Saw it last week on a "must-play" list.... NO!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StubbsDK said:

I've been playing FF since 1991, and I straight up loved the game, as did everyone I know, bar maybe one or two. It wasn't a perfect FF game, but it was A BIIIIIG improvement on the XIII-trilogy, that was god awful...

So far I've played a little of VI, VII, little bit of VIII, XI, X, XII, XIII trilogy, XIV and have watched the majority of XV from my partner playing it but have yet to start it myself. My favourite FF is FFXIII which a lot of people hate but I love it to pieces, I think the seting, story and the different battle system is great. FFXV just went too far off the rails and they're trying too hard to make new people join along with them whoring out the game. 

• Like 2

Horizon with its terrible voice acting and animation, repetitive side quests and predictable plot. Graphics are good but the framerate is horrible too.. so it's pretty only on screenshots. Not a fan of the feminist agenda either.

Artsy games Like, all of them. Games can be art if they are good and intriguing overall.. but if you cut out all elements of gameplay and everything that makes it fun, it's not art. It's garbage. I don't want to walk through an empty town doing nothing at all.

Until Dawn/Beyond Two Souls/Heavy Rain/etc. Gives you the illusion of choice but is ultimately just a shit movie for the price of a video game. Why does the gameplay have to suck so much in these interactive movies? Also gotta love the black bars and unskippable cutscenes!

54 minutes ago, DennisWilles said:

Artsy games Like, all of them. Games can be art if they are good and intriguing overall.. but if you cut out all elements of gameplay and everything that makes it fun, it's not art. It's garbage. I don't want to walk through an empty town doing nothing at all.

IMO art games are incredibly important.  I appreciate the sentiment of your comment with some games, but games like Inside, Limbo, Journey, Edith Finch, Virginia etc are all very good games, very beautiful games and made with more integrity that stupid AAA devs who only care about money.  In most instances, good art games make shorter but memorable experience in a medium that can capture it like no other.    There are exceptions, I didn't like Innerspace for example

(Herein unrelated to the above quote).

Least favourite PS4 exclusive was The Last Guardian.  As an Xbox One player predominately, I play my PS4 almost exclusively for...well, exclusives.   I've loved all but one - TLG.   I haven't played it on this account because I like to platinum games, and the thought of doing all the hints make me want to kill something.  Aside from poor trophies, the camera and AI is so fundamentally stupid it ruins any fun the game could have had.  Also find the game just generally boring. 

Re: non, exclusives, I'd say Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus.  Wolfenstein TNO is currently my favourite game of this generation, and I enjoyed TOB, but Wolfenstein 2 was very disappointing and I was absolutely gutted.   For me, they sacrificed all the intangibles that stick with you for gameplay and specs  They took away the feeling of being a badass who can conquer the unconquerable to a game whereas now on hard difficulties you can only really survive by hiding in a corner and leaning out or using skips.  The difficulty is unnessary, and I like playing on harder difficulties whenever possible.  Also found the locations ridiculously bland and repetitive, and a narrative that replace the fun, ridiculous grandeur with a self-obssessed, equally ridiculous flop.  The cheesy inner monologue does my head in, and reminds of Max Payne 3 where the script writer reads Hemingway once and thinks that they know everything about every decrepit facet of the human condition.   So yeh, not a fan :P

More positively, NieR: Automata is very, very good.  Along with The Last of Us and MGS4 on PS3, the best PS exclusive I've ever played.

Edited by phantomfear9494
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skadoki said:

Agree with some people on Horizon Zero Dawn, no matter how hard I tried to play through it I just found it insanely boring :c

It's good but it's behind Shadow of the Colossus, NieR: Automata and Hellblade for me.   The fun in HZD is in explortion and the side stuff, found the main story just okay

When I look at the list of my games, one of the few ones that I was really forcing myself to finish was Tales from the Borderlands - nothing about it was memorable for me, but in fairness that was also my first and only contact with the series and also I don't enjoy QTE games, even Life is Strange was OK-ish at most for me.

There might be better examples that just aren't coming to mind right now, but I'm gonna go with Dragon Age: Inquisition. It has an 89 on Metacritic and I just can't fathom why. The characters were awful - among the worst I've ever seen in an RPG. I couldn't stand them. The game had big open areas but nothing to do in them apart from boring MMO-like quests and the plot was totally forgettable. The list goes on really... Honestly, it's not much better than Mass Effect Andromeda, and a lot of the critics agree that game was trash.

And an extra special shout-out to Gone Home, assuming you even consider that a game. ?

• Like 1

MGS: TPP by a mile. Incredibly poor character development, boring, predicting and repetitive missions inside a boring, predictable and repetitive sandbox that did not feel like a warzone at all. 

As for some comments about Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, I thought it was brilliant. In particular how it deals with all the "gotta go fast"- crowd. Many people who complain about this game are describing their complaints as exactly the game it pretended to be. A walking simulator. If you complain about the walking part, it's like disliking the taste of sheep and ordering lamb at a restaurant to later complain that you weren't satisfied. I will always love Everybody's Gone to the Rapture for what it stood for and how it influenced the way I look at games and even life. Stand still and appreciate what the devs created. Ponder a moment about what just happend as you look into a Crimson sun going down, shining over a corn field where the wind breezes through. Some people see it as pretentious, I don't. A beautifully crafted game with incrediblye detail, visuals, story and music. 

Edited by Starlove-
  • Like 2

Nier: Automata.

The combat is much slower than other Platinum games like Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta, and everyone's always saying how "beautiful" and "genius" the story is when I just found it very pretentious and Kingdom Hearts-esque.

Edited by acookieman

44 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

There might be better examples that just aren't coming to mind right now, but I'm gonna go with Dragon Age: Inquisition. It has an 89 on Metacritic and I just can't fathom why. The characters were awful - among the worst I've ever seen in an RPG. I couldn't stand them. The game had big open areas but nothing to do in them apart from boring MMO-like quests and the plot was totally forgettable. The list goes on really... Honestly, it's not much better than Mass Effect Andromeda, and a lot of the critics agree that game was trash.

And an extra special shout-out to Gone Home, assuming you even consider that a game. ?

I know, right? I got Dragon Age: Inquisition when it came out and I was severely disappointed. I know not a lot of people enjoyed Dragon Age 2, but I had a blast with that compared to Inquisition. The praise it gets is completely beyond me, and I think that it's one of the more reasonable unpopular opinions in this thread.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

There are games that are very popular on PS4 that I personally don’t like or have any interest in (Metal Gear / Fifa / Monster Hunter etc.) but that doesn’t mean they are overrated  - it just means I personally don’t like or have any interest in them.

I could not agree more. If you consider video gaming as an art like cinema or litterature, then obviously there will always be different opinions, people who like and people who don't. This "overrated" mention is irrelevant...

7 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

Last of Us. And not just on ps4, I think it's the most overrated game ever made.

Was it enjoyable? Probably.

Did it deserve to win a game of the year award? Possibly.

Did it deserve to win hundreds of awards and sweep every major award show and have it be the only game that everyone and their dog is talking about for weeks on end like it was the second coming of christ? Hell no.

It was a linear shooter with clunky controls that was only saved by a clichéd zombie story. That really was the time that I realized gameplay was taking a back seat to story telling in modern gaming. That really bummed me out lol.

The mere fact that this game won hundreds of awards is evidence it is not overrated by any means.

Of course It's quite understandable that you or anyone else might not have enjoyed it at all, but this is a completely different and very personal thing...

Edited by Neef-GT5
  • Like 1

For me, it might be The Last of Us.  I started it some time ago, don't know when.  Played a bit of it, but that was it.  The game is now just sitting there on my shelf and probably will stay there for a while.  Don't really care to go back to it, game didn't really hold my attention for that long.  Sure, the opening cutscene with the kid and stuff was emotional, but other than that, it just could not keep my attention for that long.

Also, if we're going with technicalities and all that, FF7.  It's on the PS4 after all, I played it, didn't do much of it, got bored of it and removed it from my system.  Too overrated in my opinion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Soufwar said:

Can you rephrase what you just wrote because it’s straight up unreadable. 

Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture won the Bafta for best music and not an Emmy btw, I just checked it and made sure to correct myself before someone else does. 

my comment is clearly readable.People are more excited for the LOU2 than RDR 2 I find that mind bogling.

55 minutes ago, ManaFear said:

I know, right? I got Dragon Age: Inquisition when it came out and I was severely disappointed. I know not a lot of people enjoyed Dragon Age 2, but I had a blast with that compared to Inquisition. The praise it gets is completely beyond me, and I think that it's one of the more reasonable unpopular opinions in this thread.

Same. I don't think Dragon Age 2 was a great game, but I certainly enjoyed it more than Inquisition. It's a shame we never got another Dragon Age game on par with Origins - now that's a game that did deserve all the praise it got. Unfortunately, I just don't think Bioware are capable enough to make games of that quality anymore.

• Like 2