PS3 vs. PS4

Sir-Syzygy

PS3 or PS4?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. PS3 or PS4

• PS3
    • PS4

Just now, LuciaRosethorn said:

Not all of them are exclusive to Playstation, some of them are on steam such as Nioh and Hellblade.

Every time a topic like this is made it always goes into arguments, people don't seem to be able to handle others opinions or even know what it is. Do you prefer the PS3 or PS4, it's a simple questions. I understand there will be debating but there's a difference between telling others they're wrong and simply saying your opinion which is why I usually just watch these threads, it's not worth the hassle. People also seem to forget that when the PS3 was made there's only so much it could do when it comes to graphics and games, the PS4 has a much larger opportunity since technology is better.

And yet no one seems to be actually utilizing this potential, I hope Death Stranding and Spider-Man can properly showcase what the PS4 is actually capable of.

• Like 2

Personally I liked the PS3's xmb more than the PS4's home screen. That said I do like how on the PS4 all the content for each game is grouped together instead of you having to dive into the ps store to just find one dlc for the game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tepp-a said:

I am a bit split about this after finishing the post I guess i am not split at all. As you mentioned already, underdeveloped games are hardly the playstation's fault but the game developer's, who try to keep up with the age of sensationalism.

While the PS3 introduced me to video gaming, the Ps4 enabled me more imo. PS3 online-gaming was uninteresting to me, there was hardly any ground to build a community on. With (private) parties and communities, that's so much easier on the PS4. Not having to buy a PS3 bluetooth-compatible headset also helps in this regard - i want good sound quality without having to spend hundreds on a headset.... I think that's my biggest criterie when comparing the two.

Also, lots of features like spotify integration really make the ps4 more than just a gaming console to me. I know that netflix and amazon were/are available on the PS3 too, and frankly i have no idea how well the apps are implemented because my ps3 is at my girlfriend's and she only uses it for offline gaming, but the ps4 became an integral par of my life not just because of gaming.

Of course there are a lot of bad sides to the PS, too. I remember when i had the blue light of death the first time and nearly flipped. but overall, very happy with this baby.

if you'd ask me today which one to keep if I had to throw one out, I'd keep the ps4 not only because of its up-to-dateness.

“Not only because of its up-to-dateness”

....but what else??

when you lead a sentence with “not only because” theres suppossed to be a “but also”

other wise you used those words out of context

3 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

“Not only because of its up-to-dateness”

....but what else??

when you lead a sentence with “not only because” theres suppossed to be a “but also”

other wise you used those words out of context

see my paragraph before that, about netflix/amazon/spotify...

With up-to-dateness I meant that it gets the games.

so: but also because it serves as a good entertainment system for other things than gaming, as well as community-building.

sorry if that didn't come across correctly. I'm not a native speaker and people make mistakes. I think I made my point understandable enough despite grammar errors.

xD The PS3 crowd seems to be "out screaming" (not literally of course, figuratively) the PS4 crowd so far in this thread.

Terrible points coming from both sides, though I don't think one is winning quite yet... it'll be a race to the finish line.  But at least we can all agree that it's thanks to the internet that we can spread our awful opinions with impunity like this.

Edited by Dreakon13

2 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

xD The PS3 crowd seems to be "out screaming" the PS4 crowd so far in this thread.

Terrible points coming from both sides, though I don't think one is winning quite yet... it'll be a race to the finish line.  But at least we can all agree that it's thanks to the internet that we can spread our awful opinions with impunity like this.

"out screaming" Yes, that's a good way of putting it.

But you think that the word "impunity" is present on this website? That's the funniest thing I've heard all day! If you twitch your finger the wrong way you get annihilated! I'm surprised none of my posts have been removed yet! Maybe everyone's asleep! That is the only possible reason!

1 hour ago, NaseemJohn said:

10 exclusives? No problem I’ll give you 20.

1- Persona 5

2- Nier Automata 

3- Bloodborne

4- Until dawn

5- Uncharted 4

6- God of war 

7- Yakuza 6

8- Yakuza 0

9- Horizon zero dawn 

10- Hellblade 

11- Gravity rush 2 

12- Uncharted lost legacy

13- Last guardian 

14- Infamous second son 

15- Nioh 

16- MLB 18

17- Knack 2 

18- Ni No Kuni 2

19- Nex machina 

20- Gran Turismo sport

Lets not mention the others coming out this year. 

Just a slight glitch nier isnt exclusive, and I don't think ni no kuni 2 is either(which is a damn shame, sony should just buy the studio) because I think I saw a pc version. 

But yes Playstation dominates in exclusives. 

I'm pretty sure you missed a lottt too, so that just goes to show how many exclusives there are. 

Unless we don't count steam. Then the number just absolutely soars

---------------------------------------------------

Oh and my pick is ps4. Wayyyyy smoother. I love the menu wayyyy more than the ps3 xmb (though I think it could use some work).

The ability to watch Netflix/crunchyroll/etc without shutting down the game(or pretty much everything). The console can turn itself off(hibernation wtvr) and pick up where you left off.

And yes I love the share button. Recording my memories!! It was brilliant imo. 

And that's just a few things why I love the ps4 more than the ps3. 

What I don't like is the damn short Bluetooth signal for the console to the controller! 

I used to be able to play ps3 games through a window when I was outside(I'm a smoker). 

The ps4 is very short range and finicky

Edited by Dav9834
  • Like 1

Hmm, tough choice. They both have their pros and cons:

PS3:

Pros:

• The User Interface. The XMB beats the shit out of the Orbis OS, hands down. Granted, the Orbis has a few neat tricks, like being more customizable and letting you connect to your Facebook account (so you can easily see which of your real-life friends are online without having to memorize an avatar and nickname), but other than that, the XMB's ease of use just wins in every regard.
  • Free Online Multiplayer. To be honest, I hate playing online. I never really saw the appeal. But that doesn't mean I don't want those shiny Platinum trophies. So if by some chance I have to play online to get some trophies on my road to Platinum... I'd much prefer it if I didn't have to pay extra for it. (Online trophies shouldn't even exist in the first place, but that's a whole 'nother topic). Like @Crispy78923 said, I'm surprised Paid Online Multiplayer became so widely accepted to the point even Nintendo got in on it. I'm shocked people didn't put up more of a fight.

Cons:

• Playstation Store App sucks. Jesus, the thing is a bloody mess on the PS3. So incredibly slow and buggy. I kept having to go to my PC just to purchase DLC.

PS4:

Pros:

• More optimized games. We all know how the PS3 used a proprietary chip that was incredibly difficult to code for, and hence, a lot of games were not properly optimized to work on the console, especially towards the beginning of the 7th generation. Despite having improved as the years went on, the PS4 is hands down an improvement in that regard. All games run butter smooth with no issues. I remember once saying that I would buy every cross-generation game for the PS3 because of the lower price and free online multiplayer, but now I'm definitely buying for the PS4 as much as I can. Only exception would be when there are online trophies.
  • Headphone Jack. Sometimes, you're playing in the middle of the night, or in the morning, before your brother wakes up, and you want the volume as high as you want, but not at the cost of waking up your sibling and having to hear an earful. Well, with the headphone jack, that's no longer a problem. You can have one of handheld gaming's strongest suits on your high-end home console.
  • Bigger controller. The Dualshock 4 just feels better in your hands. The size, the finish, the buttons... they all feel super comfortable. Not that it's without its flaws... but we'll get there.
  • Better games. After the turbulent 7th generation, I think the PS4 brought us back to an era of exciting, original games. Also, plenty of them are Playstation exclusives! There were very few exclusives back on the 7th generation, with most games being shared between the PS3 and the X360, even the most niche, Japanese games, but now, with the PS4's clear dominance, we have all that much more value in a single machine.
  • Remote Play. Whenever you don't have access to your TV, being able to play all of your games on your Vita or on a PC is extremely convenient.
  • Sleep Mode. Being able to just leave your game and pick it back up right where you left off without actually leaving your console (fully) on is a godsend. Another one of handheld gaming's strongest suits right on your high-end home console.

Cons:

• Dualshock 4 Light Bar. I just have one question: why? Who the hell thought having the Dualshock 4 spend tons of battery just for an add-on virtually no one has was a good idea? I'm still waiting for that option to permanently turn it off.
  • Start & Select buttons gone. Getting rid of two buttons that have been with us since the days of the original Playstation just to get in a virtually unused touchpad and a share button? Really? We do have the options button, but its positioning in the controller is extremely uncomfortable. With the Start & Select buttons on the previous Dualshocks, they were raised enough that you could easily press them, and they were right in the middle of the controller, where they were easy to find. If more games just used the touch pad's lower right and lower left corners as substitutes, like Naruto Shippuuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 did, this would have been no problem, but alas, it seems it's not meant to be...
  • Virtually no rumble: As an action game fan, rumble is a feature that lets me get all the more immersed in my games. And yet, the PS4 has virtually no games with it, despite the Dualshock 4 having rumble motors built in. Apparently, it's not a feature missed by many, but since we're here to trade opinions...
  • Concave Analog Sticks. I preferred the convex analog sticks present in all other Dualshocks. Felt more comfortable to me personally.

If I had to pick, I'd say the PS4 wins, but the PS3's pros and the PS4's cons should definitely be something to keep in mind.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

• Headphone Jack. Sometimes, you're playing in the middle of the night, or in the morning, before your brother wakes up, and you want the volume as high as you want, but not at the cost of waking up your sibling and having to hear an earful. Well, with the headphone jack, that's no longer a problem. You can have one of handheld gaming's strongest suits on your high-end home console.

Omg this!!! 

How did I forget to add that ><

I always use it so it's an afterthought I guess. But if it disappeared I'd be absolutely devastated

• Like 1

Having jumped from controller to controller a lot in the last year or two... I'll second the Dual Shock 4.  One of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used.  The DS3 feels like going back to the NES era of pointy edges and carpal tunnel.  Sony got onto the ergonomic gamepad bandwagon a little late since even the Xbox 360 pads are better than the DS3... but they made up for it.

Overall though, both consoles have their ups and downs.  If I had to pick one I'd probably say the PS3 just because it was impressive just how dominant it was for its time as far as exclusives go.  I mean... all three Uncharted games, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain/Beyond Two Souls, LittleBigPlanet (2 specifically), Journey.  To name a few.  Lots of new-IP's and not many rehashed ideas.  The PS4 has most of those remastered, sure... and had some whopper exclusives of its own obviously... but none that resonated with me quite like those.

Plus this PS4 generation has been ALL about the semi-open world/fully open world RPG's and action games... which is far from my favorite style (I'll take straight linear games over it any day; I don't need the extra 10-15 hours+ of fluff).  Even Uncharted fell into it a little with its open maps and side objectives.  I fully expect The Last of Us 2 to have "hub areas", and NPC quest givers, and lists of side tasks to complete. ?

Edited by Dreakon13

Most of these franchises that you love on PS4 gained their popularity from PS3 and if the game began on an earlier platform, the game series became more widely known because it was on PS3. There would have been no hype for this new God of War game if God of War III was never on PS3 and they instead randomly released it when the only God of War games to go by were the first two from PS2. The PS3/Xbox 360 generation had the better games that were shared among the platforms and the games had better online modes and less remasters. People were referring to this current generation of gaming as the "remaster generation" because a lot of companies used remastering their games as a quick cash grab and they only could have done that when the games were popular on PS3 or Xbox 360. I'm always going to prefer PS3 because it has been the better console for me overall for games and multiplayer. I appreciate the PS3 so much that if Sony decides that they wish to shut the servers for PS3 altogether, no matter which console generation we've reached I will retire from PlayStation and immediately move to Xbox, because a company shutting a console network like that deserves no respect or trust for your future purchases. 

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jrdemr said:

Hmm, tough choice. They both have their pros and cons:

PS3:

Pros:

• Free Online Multiplayer. To be honest, I hate playing online. I never really saw the appeal. But that doesn't mean I don't want those shiny Platinum trophies. So if by some chance I have to play online to get some trophies on my road to Platinum... I'd much prefer it if I didn't have to pay extra for it. (Online trophies shouldn't even exist in the first place, but that's a whole 'nother topic). Like @Crispy78923 said, I'm surprised Paid Online Multiplayer became so widely accepted to the point even Nintendo got in on it. I'm shocked people didn't put up more of a fight.

Seems like people already forgot the hell that were online passes. 

I liked PS3 design more compare to PS4. Really cool and good looking sports car looks with great shiny materials it has been made, including tiny details as "bodykits".

As for games, they are good for both generations, but backwards compatibility was better on third, a lot Playstation games are available.

Dualshock 4 is much better than predecessor in any way.

Interface and applications are much better on PS4.

Free online access 'course better than paid, especially when this payed online not guarantee anything about stability or improvements, some developers even avoiding integration with PSN services and people pay only for being logged in and if PSN down, all down as well, where could be handle separately.

After this said, I'm still voting for PS4, because it's future, to be clear - present, so can't complain more.

9 hours ago, TheEyeOfSa said:

And yet no one seems to be actually utilizing this potential, I hope Death Stranding and Spider-Man can properly showcase what the PS4 is actually capable of.

Watch out we have some kind of super expert on the matter of development, please do share your knowledge with the world so we all can worship you.

5 hours ago, Sergen said:

Most of these franchises that you love on PS4 gained their popularity from PS3 and if the game began on an earlier platform, the game series became more widely known because it was on PS3. There would have been no hype for this new God of War game if God of War III was never on PS3 and they instead randomly released it when the only God of War games to go by were the first two from PS2. The PS3/Xbox 360 generation had the better games that were shared among the platforms and the games had better online modes and less remasters. People were referring to this current generation of gaming as the "remaster generation" because a lot of companies used remastering their games as a quick cash grab and they only could have done that when the games were popular on PS3 or Xbox 360. I'm always going to prefer PS3 because it has been the better console for me overall for games and multiplayer. I appreciate the PS3 so much that if Sony decides that they wish to shut the servers for PS3 altogether, no matter which console generation we've reached I will retire from PlayStation and immediately move to Xbox, because a company shutting a console network like that deserves no respect or trust for your future purchases. 

No hype because of GoW3? There is only hype because it's an actually good game no matter what past games did... That the PS3/X360 generation had better MP is just a preference. I for example hardly played MP games on the PS3 with the exception of The Last of Us. And so far I've played way more MP games on the PS4 just to name a few Titanfall 2, BF games, Uncharted (still shitty P2P sadly), Rocket League, Destiny, Helldivers, The Division, Fortnite BR and a few racegames. But after all it depends on the games and what you like..

Eventually Sony is going to shutdown most if not all MP games if that is what you are talking about? But Sony will never shutdown PS3 consoles from their network, because that would mean that PSN will stop working for every other PS platform as it is tied to one another.. Also know this that the PS3 will die out, that is how technology advances. PS3 consoles will break down, sure they're repairable if you have the know-how. But spare parts will be difficult to get and it will degrade over time as is everything. For example you know that thermal paste degrades over time? It's best to replace these after lets say 7-8 years. But the catch here it isn't a simple as replacing thermal paste because the CELL cpu and the RSX have a second layer of thermal paste which isn't easy to get to for most people.. I'd say enjoy your PS3 while it still runs because how long will it last if your PS3 starts overheating then you will have issues fast.. But there is another option PS NOW but that not really a great alternative imo.

Anyway imo PS4 reasons:

Better UI (PS3 is slow)

Better controller +jack (The only downside is the battery but that is why I have multiple controllers. PS3 controller feels old)

Better optimized games (no freezing, faster install+download while PS3 freezes slow install + download)

Better social features (PS3 messaging is okay, but no partychat)

As for games 50/50 I guess.

Edited by joskeabzu

It's a close call, but I'll have to go with PS3. For all its faults, there was surely a golden age of PS3 that simply doesn't exist with PS4. There was more risk-taking, more original IP, more variety across all games. PS4's been keeping up a steady stream of titles, but a lot of it just follows trends. There have been no groundbreaking indie titles that I can think of. Original IP has slowed to a trickle while triple-A sequels/reboots live off past success. PS3 had: Uncharted, Resistance, The Last of Us, Motorstorm, LittleBigPlanet, InFamous and so on. PS4 has: Horizon: Zero Dawn, Until Dawn and a cross-gen Metal Gear.

Hardware-wise, PS4 wins hands-down purely for efficiency and ease of access. But compared to the creativity on PS3, jumping into PS4 sometimes feels like the equivalent of getting fast food.

• Like 1

I think I'm gonnna lean towards the PS4 gen PS3 was okay though I found most of the games I actually cared about were actually just remasters of old games where, I've actually enjoyed and looked forward to more of the current gen games. 

Last year was especially good had things like Nioh,Nier,the new Resident Evil and so on.

Edited by Tusked-Lattice

PS4 fo me. I think PS3 has the weakest game library of all 4 PlayStations. To me the developers are headed in the right direction after the PS3 gen of games got really hand holdy. Seems like some devs are trying to bring the challenge back

• Like 1

I'd have to say PS4.

The PS3 had very few great games. It had a lot of decent games, but only a few that were truly incredible and I would recommend to anyone who likes games. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head from that gen are

• Mass Effect 2
  • Bioshock
  • Street Fighter IV
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • Batman Arkham City

That's really it for me. I know Uncharted had a good reputation, but I personally never really enjoyed any of them. And The Last of Us is another one that's supposedly really good, but I have yet to play it. That's still only a handful though, while on PS4 the number of truly great games I can think of off the top of my head are

• Monster Hunter World
  • Dragon Ball FighterZ
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Tales of Berseria
  • Persona 5
  • Bloodborne
  • Life is Strange

And the console generation is still years from being done. We're probably only about 1/2 or maybe 2/3 of the way through the PS4's life. So we're going to be getting even more potentially great games.

Also, I know that some games are on both consoles, but I counted PS3 games that were released before the PS4 as PS3 games. Anything that released after the PS4 and are on both consoles, I counted for PS4. Either way, PS4 would still win, but I wanted to clarify before someone gets all butthurt.

Overall, I think the PS4 has been a step back in the right direction for gaming. Yeah, there's a lot of nonsense going on with DLC still, and there are horribly greedy companies still out there, but more developers seem to care about making good games again. And it shows. Games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Persona 5 have so much polish and it's obvious that there was a lot of care put into them. We're still a long way from what the PS2 was, and I doubt we'll ever get back there again, but the PS4 has felt like a breath of fresh air.

Also, the PS4 controller is the best controller of all time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, joskeabzu said:

Watch out we have some kind of super expert on the matter of development, please do share your knowledge with the world so we all can worship you.

Uh...I'm just saying they look better than other games we've had in the past...I'd call you dense but it would probably be deleted

1 hour ago, entonces55 said:

PS4 fo me. I think PS3 has the weakest game library of all 4 PlayStations. To me the developers are headed in the right direction after the PS3 gen of games got really hand holdy. Seems like some devs are trying to bring the challenge back

Yes. It feels like as we went from PS1/2 into PS3, the trend was from hard to easy. But now it's more toward hard and easy coexisting. I think as we went through PS1-2-3-4, we progressed from games that were faster and easier to make, that attempted a lot of new things, toward games that are longer and harder to make, that put their energy more into perfecting than experimenting. It's not all good or all bad; there are benefits to both.

It's easy to look back at those old libraries and say, "Woah, this list of games is mind-blowing! Incredible! Unsurpassed!" But our minds gloss over all the awful cameras and controls, the bad shooting, untuned difficulty, the fact that tech limitations so often put us in a little box with no exploration or side options, lack of patches, region locking, reliance on savepoints and overall user-unfriendly jank.

The other thing that makes me prefer the PS4, besides the better controllers, is simultaneous logins. In couch co-op, having everyone be able to use their own ID and progress/settings instead of the PS3 "everyone is a clone of the host" system is much better.

• Like 1