Favorite developers

Bojuka76

Hey guys, sorry to bug ya. I'm just curious, what's everyone's favorite video games developer. Personally, I've been between Arrowhead and Platnium Games for the past few years. This isn't just limited to developers making games for Playstation, I mean every game studio, be it dead or alive. (I tried looking over to the fourms to find a thread already about this, but was unable to locate one, if one does exist I'll remove/lock this)

• Like 1

I'm conflicted about Platinum Games. They've developed some of my favourite games like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Vanquish, but they've also pumped out some real duds. They're quite hit or miss. Still, overall they're a great studio. I'm looking forward to playing NieR: Automata.

As for my favourite development studio, I'd probably go with Atlus due in large part to the Persona series, but they've developed tons of great games over the years. Catherine is another favourite of mine too. I'd like to play the Shin Megami Tensei series but that seems to be a Nintendo thing these days.

I also want to give a shout-out to FromSoftware for the Soulsborne series. Easily some of the best games from the last decade.

DICE for creating Mirror's Edge (shocking eh? :P)

CD PROJEKT RED for creating the witcher 3. Tbh I know them from this game only but they've earned my respect/appreciation from the get-go

Bandai Namco for creating TEKKEN and publishing other great titles

Rockstar for creating GTA, bully, and RDR

Rocksteady for creating the Batman Arkham series (and Warner Bros Montreal I guess. Origins needs some love too ;))

• Like 3

I have a few I like, in order of preference:

1. Square Enix: As a huge FF fan, which I have been since FFX was released and have played a lot of the main series and many spin offs . I also love Kingdom Hearts and have played all the original ones (not the remakes), so SQ is by far my number one. Love their game design, characters and music as well. I've been to the SQ shop Artnia in Tokyo many times, and the FF cafe Eorza in Akihabara too during my trips to Japan and also when I lived their for a bit.

Favourite SQ games: FFX, X-2, XII, Tactics A2, KH BBS.

2. Otomate and Idea Factory: I confess that I love Otome games, and Otomate are my favourite developer for Otome games. 

Favourite games: Amnesia V Edition and the fan discs, Collar x Malice

3. Namco Bandai: I like them for their Tales series games mostly, but also enjoyed their Dragonball Z games when I was younger.

Favourite Games: Tales series

4. Marvelous: I love their Harvest moon games. My favourite was tsunagaru shin tenchi (known as story of seasons in the West)

5. Nippon ichi software: I quite like their quirky and unique character design, humour and selection of good strategy games like Disgaea series. Favourite game from them was Disgaea 4. 

Naughty Dog were good back in the day for Crash Bandicoot games, I also used to like Pokemon games (The Pokemon Company) up until about Alpha sapphire before it all went downhill and overcomplicated with Sun/moon which I didn't get and at that point gave up on the series. But these two have fallen off my favourites list these days.

• Like 2

Squaresoft.

Just for all the memories playing their Jrpgs back in the golden era.

Also Atlus, Tri-Ace, Level-5, Namco and why not... Square-Enix. Ofcourse also for all their Jrpgs.

• Like 3

Old Konami, when they were developers. No matter the current state, all those games they made are great. From first Castlevania to last TS's Silent Hill.

Capcom is aight developer, also that keeps mark and shows some love to their classic. Looking forward for them to take a lead of Survival Horror genre in most possible ways.They keep hope for the genre.

From Software 'course, Tenchu and recent Souls series, and are too showing love to their classic.

Rockstar games, but only for GTA and not for V, hope they not abandon completely their unique crime games vision.

Also want to mention Naughty Dog studio too, The Last of Us was masterpiece, if they will continue to push in this direction, then it will be great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

I'm conflicted about Platinum Games. They've developed some of my favourite games like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Vanquish, but they've also pumped out some real duds. They're quite hit or miss. Still, overall they're a great studio. I'm looking forward to playing NieR: Automata.

As for my favourite development studio, I'd probably go with Atlus due in large part to the Persona series, but they've developed tons of great games over the years. Catherine is another favourite of mine too. I'd like to play the Shin Megami Tensei series but that seems to be a Nintendo thing these days.

I also want to give a shout-out to FromSoftware for the Soulsborne series. Easily some of the best games from the last decade.

Yeah, I have to agree with you on the spotty releases. I was thoroughly disappointed with their TMNT game, it was a disaster. The Legend of Kora got a bit repetitive, but was still a worthwhile game to play. Star Fox Zero I heard was utter garbage, but I haven't gotten a chance to play that yet. But these are the same folks that produce amazing titles like Bayonetta, Transformers: Devastation, and Vanquish, I think we can give them a pass for a couple of flops. :P

49 minutes ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

Old Konami, when they were developers. No matter the current state, all those games they made are great. From first Castlevania to last TS's Silent Hill.

Capcom is aight developer, also that keeps mark and shows some love to their classic. Looking forward for them to take a lead of Survival Horror genre in most possible ways.They keep hope for the genre.

From Software 'course, Tenchu and recent Souls series, and are too showing love to their classic.

Rockstar games, but only for GTA and not for V, hope they not abandon completely their unique crime games vision.

Also want to mention Naughty Dog studio too, The Last of Us was masterpiece, if they will continue to push in this direction, then it will be great.

I cry bloody tears remembering team Silent....

Double Fine Productions

HAL Laboratory

MicroProse Software STUDIO CLOSED

Quantic Dream (we'll see if Detroit will make me remove them, I haven't played it yet)

Revolution Software

Taito Corporation

ThatGameCompany

Genre-specific:

LucasArts' Point and Click Games STUDIO CLOSED

Sierra Entertainment's Point and Click Games STUDIO CLOSED

And yes, that would be: Ron Gilbert, Al Lowe, Sid Meier and Tim Schafer as some of the upstanding citizens

Edited by albajos

I hope you don't mind me stealing your format @Lava_Yuki :)

My top 3 in no particular order would be as follows:

CD Projekt Red - I love the passion they put into their games and the constant stream of patches/free updates. DLCs are top-notch. It's clear to see these guys really value their fan base.

Favourite game(s) - The Witcher 3

Rock* - Don't really have to say much here, time and time again they release phenomenal sequels and new IPs.

Favourite game(s) - Max Payne 3 | Red Dead RedemptionGrand Theft Auto III, Vice City, San Andreas, IV & VLA Noire

Naughty Dog - As someone who really loves story driven game-play, these guys get it all right in my books.
Favourite game(s) - Uncharted 2, 3 & 4The Last of Us

For me personally, all of the above develop games that are both rich in story and engaging in game-play. For the most part there is very little MTX involved in their games, and even when there is it is very much optional and isn't forced upon you. They also typically release quality DLC, as opposed to content that is just padding. These are the few developers who I'd pre-order from as I trust them completely to deliver no matter what IP.

Other honourable mentions go to:

2K Games A couple of Bioshock games, Borderlands series. Solid work.
FromSoftware Once I've played the Dark Souls series I'm sure these guys will get bumped up to my favourites, but as of now I only have Bloodborne under my belt, which by the way is a smashing game.

Konami My all time favourite franchise: Metal Gear Solid. Minus Metal Gear Survive, I don't know wtf that is.

SquareSoft (before they merged to become Square Enix) Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, X. Need I say more?

Volition Man if people haven't played a Saints Row game yet, they are really missing out! I would recommend starting with Saints Row The Third.

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 2

Some of the favorites (in no order):

• Squaresoft and now SquareEnix - The Final Fantasy series and its golden age. Favorite games: FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII,FFIX,FFX. Other games: Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest VIII. Later on FFXII,FFXIII trilogy and recent KH games.
  • Atlus - Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series. One of the best RPG developers around. Favorite games: Shin Megami Tensei Persona 2, 3, Persona 4,5, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
  • Nihon Falcom - The Legend of Heroes series. Highly looking forward to play their other LOH titles and they have some of the best RPGs around with memorable music and stories rich with emotion. Favorite games: Trails of Cold Steel I, II
  • Bandai Namco - The Tales of series. Favorite games: Tales of Symphonia, Graces F, Hearts R, Xillia 1,2
  • Tri-ace - Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile series of RPGs
  • Naughty Dog - Uncharted series and The Last of Us
  • NIS - The Disgaea series.

• Like 2

The top one that comes to mind is easily Platinum Games. Games like Vanquish, Bayonetta, and Metal Gear Rising are easily my favorite action games of the last console gen. While they've definitley had their downs, they still manage to impress with last year's Nier game. Can't wait to for their next projects.

• 5 years later...

I like the games made by Kojima and his division under Konami, whatever it was called before they formed Kojima Productions. Although I do like Kojima Pro itself, too. I also like Insomniac. However, Naughty Dog would actually be my pick, but only for their PS1 and PS2 era games. Crash 2 and 3 were my favourite 3D platformers, loved CTR. Jak & Daxter was great as well. I think nothing beats their streak of games from Crash 2 to Jak 1 for me, even MGS 1-3.

Edited by Slava