PlayStation Store Prepaid Cards in danger of being discontinued?

Alantor32

Went to Amazon today to get my $20 card.  Not available.  Weird.  Ended up getting the $50 card.  I mean, these are digital codes, not like they are going to run out or anything.

Edited by PermaFox
  • Like 3

I started using them when the browser version of the Playstation Store website kept denying my credit card even though I paid my monthly bill and I was not over the limit. I was stuck inputting the three digit number on the back of the card and the website kept denying my purchase.

Happened to a number of cards so I ended up just buying prepaid store cards.

I'm not too troubled with the loss of the $20 card as long as there are still physical cards available in retail stores.

5 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I started using them when the browser version of the Playstation Store website kept denying my credit card even though I paid my monthly bill and I was not over the limit. I was stuck inputting the three digit number on the back of the card and the website kept denying my purchase.

I'm not too troubled with the loss of the $20 card as long as there are still physical cards available in retail stores.

Have you ever tried switching to PayPal? That solved the issue for me (dunno if it works now, last digital content i purchased there was in 2017)

6 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Your not in troubled if you buy PSN Cards. 

1 minute ago, Lance_87 said:

Have you ever tried switching to PayPal? That solved the issue for me (dunno if it works now, last digital content i purchased there was in 2017)

I try that. But no to avail.

I'll never understand the issue with payments in the browser version of the Store. It's like the issue on the PS3 Store app that always kicks you out after a couple of seconds if you manually search for content. Maybe it's like the infamous issue with the download queue for PS3 and Vita content: something that does exist but they keep denying.

16 minutes ago, PermaFox said:

Went to Amazon today to get my $20 card.  Not available.  Weird.  Ended up getting the $50 card.  I mean, these are digital codes, not like they are going to run out or anything.

Amazon is out of every card below $50 since May at least. It's really annoying.

• Like 2

Do you mean digital or physical psn cards, or both?

There's alot of sites specializing in selling digital codes, Sony will screw them over to if they discontinue digital psn cards!

And why is it always ''a friend heared...''

I hope it's not true, seems unlikely they will force people to use credit cards or paypal since alot of people lost their trust in Sony after the 2011 hack.

• Like 2

Nah definitely a troll dude they make too much money with the cards, a lot of people can't get their credit cards to work on ps store or they are kids that don't have one, or they just don't trust their credit card to be used online. 

They wouldnt do that man

4 minutes ago, Nexuds121 said:

Guys it's better to buy PSN Cards even if your credit/debit cards won't authenticate.

Yeah way safer too

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, dzstrpc said:

Do you mean digital or physical psn cards, or both?

There's alot of sites specializing in selling digital codes, Sony will screw them over to if they discontinue digital psn cards!

And why is it always ''a friend heared...''

I hope it's not true, seems unlikely they will force people to use credit cards or paypal since alot of people lost their trust in Sony after the 2011 hack.

Yes. Both digital and physical.

Theyd better not discontinue psn physical cards. I refuse to use my bank card/debit card unless its something truly expensive and important like a car or paying bills. Id rather just go down the street to my local dollar general and pick up a few codes there when i want to buy digital games as its easier then risking my bank account because you never know when theres gonna be another major hack, and even if i was more heavilly into xbox/nintendo/steam id still prefer to use prepaid codes.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Masamune said:

Hope not, that's the main way I get cash on my account. 1f615.png It's just easier for me (& probably safer too). xD 

Don't worry to much Masamune. You can still get PSN Cards.

1 hour ago, Lance_87 said:

Who uses stores prepaid cards here? Just wondering.

I do. It's the only option people have to get PSN Cards regardless of what the situation is. And besides, It's safer that way.

Edited by Nexuds121
  • Like 2

I usually go on Amazon to get my PSN cards. I’ve also noticed the $10, $20 and $25 PSN cards aren’t available. Haven’t been available for the past few months. Nothing wrong with getting a $50 card; but now if I want either card that’s not available online, I have to go to GameStop to get either card. The convenience of getting a card online is much more beneficial to do than to drive to the store and get one. I really hope they don’t discontinue it as I refuse to use my actual card to fill my PSN wallet.  

1 hour ago, Lance_87 said:

Who uses stores prepaid cards here? Just wondering.

Lots of people. Here are various reasons.

1 - Sometimes the browser doesn't take your card info and you have to enter it over and over again.

2 - Sometimes PlayStation will renew PS+ and other services even if you've opted out of auto-renew. If your bank/PayPal reverses the charge, your account might get banned.

3 -  If you do have your account on auto-renew but your card on file happened to expire or otherwise get cancelled, and Sony tries to charge you, your account might get banned.

4 - (and this was the reason I removed all forms of payments from my account in favor of prepaid cards) If someone hacks your account, Sony will do absolutely nothing to help you and will gladly leave you with a bill of hundreds of dollars of things you didn't buy. And, again, can't dispute it with your bank lest your account be banned. 

5 - The store doesn't have an option to give gifts directly to people. If you want to gift someone money for a game, you probably aren't also going to want to gift them your credit card number. And I'd imagine if the do away with prepaid cards because of fraud, they'd get rid of digital game codes too...

• Like 3