Suggestion: Change back the layout on our PSN profiles or give the option to do it

Which layout would you preffer?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Which layout would you preffer?

• Bring back the old layout
    • Keep the new one
    • Change it to a different layout

1 minute ago, Spaz said:

My real complaint is there's too much on the right side of our trophy lists. The left side is looking rather barren.

That's pretty much 90% of my problem, and I sense most other peoples problem too. It's really that "X of X trophies" under the % bar. Would look a lot better on the left. I personally don't mind the platform tags, the date etc, it's that "X of X trophies" that is the eyesore. I wonder what it'd look like under the Game title again, or indeed anywhere more to the left.

@BlindMango I’m fine with the X / Y trophies part and in fact it kind of looks fresh, although I know not everyone will agree with this but regardless of what happens with that I think the best of both worlds would be if the console was moved over to its original position on the right as it’s too clunky and pushes the game’s name too far up the box and causes line cross overs, especially on mobile. 

Instead if we moved the console back over to the right side (where it originally was) and you could either swap it’s position with the date, create a new column on the right hand ride for consoles or just delete the date entirely, and that way the stats would all be grouped together nicely on the right side with the trophy image and name on the left hand side with plenty of space :D 

Edited by Waddlingdan
(Sorry my image visualising this couldn’t upload as I’m currently on mobile)

2 hours ago, Potent_Delusions said:

That's pretty much 90% of my problem, and I sense most other peoples problem too. It's really that "X of X trophies" under the % bar. Would look a lot better on the left. I personally don't mind the platform tags, the date etc, it's that "X of X trophies" that is the eyesore. I wonder what it'd look like under the Game title again, or indeed anywhere more to the left.

That's my main problem too. The only two things I normally care about, when looking at my profile at a glance, are the titles of each game and the number of trophies remaining. The old layout made it extremely easy to scan my eyes down the left column to see my overall progress, while ignoring all the fluff on the right. It was simple, effective, and well-designed.

Shrinking the progress bar, moving X of X trophies literally as far away from the game's title as possible, and putting the console version (probably the most useless piece of information on there) under the title are all steps backwards. What is the logic behind this?

Even if you wanted to make the argument that it looks sexier having all the games on the left and trophy info on the right, the console labels ruin it...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

No, it is mixing up the written info with the pictorial info and having both on both sides that is irritating. Before, there were two homogenous areas with information, one could easily get the all the pictorial info with a single glance or continuously read the info on the left. Mixing up letters and pictorials it all up on both sides makes it less easy to do so. It is very distracting for the eye.

Been trying to say what you said here. Just couldn't find the right words.

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

That's my main problem too. The only two things I normally care about, when looking at my profile at a glance, are the titles of each game and the number of trophies remaining. The old layout made it extremely easy to scan my eyes down the left column to see my overall progress, while ignoring all the fluff on the right. It was simple, effective, and well-designed.

Shrinking the progress bar, moving X of X trophies literally as far away from the game's title as possible, and putting the console version (probably the most useless piece of information on there) under the title are all steps backwards. What is the logic behind this?

Even if you wanted to make the argument that it looks sexier having all the games on the left and trophy info on the right, the console labels ruin it...

Now you have to look at the left then scroll your eyes to the right.

I think the console version information should only be used if there are multiple stacks. Most games don't need that since they are only for one console, therefore it's a waste of space to even have that included.

Can you link me the screenshot you gave me on changing colors?

I naturally read from left to right when looking at anything on my profile. Now that the most important info is over on the far right it feels like I'm having to do the opposite when glancing at the number of trophies/dates in a game. Made more sense to me to have that grouped together with the game's title/logo. Aesthetically though it does look more balanced, but form should follow function.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

Yeah, so I use Dark Reader because white backgrounds are terrible on my eyes. I actually really like what it does to the color scheme on this site.

So, I started using Safari a short while back and I just spent one of the best 2,29 EUR of my life. I love you. ヽ(✧ω✧)ノ♡

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Potent_Delusions said:

I hope not. The site is aesthetically fantastic. I stand firmly in my beliefs that today's update was a regression rather than progression, but hopefully I/we all get used to it.

I have run out of likes but I strongly agree on this, the previous layout was very convinient for the eye. One quick look and you know all the information you came for but now you have too look all over the place to find the same info because everything is scattered in wrong places.

Edited by Saionji
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Potent_Delusions said:

If there's no point in voicing our opinions...then what is the point of customer feedback forms, or indeed the feedback form on here.

Good question, I like this site because of all the stats and the convinience of use but it wont be so easy to use from now on i guess.

• Like 1

Lots of bikeshedding here. Overall, this site still has superior UX compared to any trophy/achievement website out there.

I'd say the adjusted layout with completion time under date looks a lot better.

I'm really looking forward for the series funcionality.

Edited by HusKyCode

I still don't care how our profiles look and will be satisfied with whatever is decided but I like trying to solve potential concerns...one thing I noticed is that the platform box is huge...proportionately, its information is bigger than than any other stat...but it's of minor importance for most of us I would assume...what if it was to be shrunk a bit or abbreviated?...

with the future in mind, we could see more platforms added like ps5 or another handheld/whatever...what if this box was way smaller and just showed 3, 4, V or VI, VR, or something like that?...i mean, we all know it's ps...this is psnp after all...just a thought...

edit : another thought are the 3 options at the top for sorting where it says "games"...perhaps just my logic but it would make sense if they follow the column data below...so instead of completion, order, platform, they should be reversed since that is how they are now displayed...platform, order, completion...

2nd edit : looking at the data for what it is and thinking along the lines of left to right scanning, personally it seems like it goes from least to most relevant although that's probably debatable...wouldn't it make sense to have completion, rank, rarity ahead of date or am I missing something?...

also, I don't know why but having the plat/gold/silver/bronze earned data below the progress bar makes more sense to me...since we know they are trophies how about, example : 31 / 50, progress bar, plat, gold, silver, bronze progress...or progress, individual trophy type earned, 31/50?...

I think simplicity is good...there is a lot of data displayed there and it might be difficulty to cut down on clutter...i wonder if there isn't some way to display it all a little more efficiently...hmmm...right now it all looks kinda "forced in there"...i don't know...as stated earlier, I rarely visit the profile pages...no idea what is actually practical...just saying what comes to mind as I look at it now...throwaway thoughts, really...

3rd edit : an idea to cut down on clutter would be to remove the rank column entirely and instead make the progress bar the colour of our rank...I'd beef up the length a bit...make the gold, silver, bronze icons below the bar, 31/50 (or whatevz) above it...

logically, plat earned/rarity, followed by progress bar, then date makes more sense to me but I'm not sure what importance the date stat has to most...visually this idea would allow for very quick deductions on what type of hunter owns the profile in terms of completion habits...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ProfBambam55 said:

with the future in mind, we could see more platforms added like ps5 or another handheld/whatever...what if this box was way smaller and just showed 3, 4, V or VI, VR, or something like that?...i mean, we all know it's ps...this is psnp after all...just a thought...

I absolutely agree with this. It makes sense to use these tags to sort through or manage data but these tags don't need to take lots of space because we are so familiar with them anyway. So get rid of the PS and just use numbers or a V for the Vita in small blue squares.

edit : another thought are the 3 options at the top for sorting where it says "games"...perhaps just my logic but it would make sense if they follow the column data below...so instead of completion, order, platform, they should be reversed since that is how they are now displayed...platform, order, completion...

Yeah, that would make sense.

2nd edit : looking at the data for what it is and thinking along the lines of left to right scanning, personally it seems like it goes from least to most relevant although that's probably debatable...wouldn't it make sense to have completion, rank, rarity ahead of date or am I missing something?...

also, I don't know why but having the plat/gold/silver/bronze earned data below the progress bar makes more sense to me...since we know they are trophies how about, example : 31 / 50, progress bar, plat, gold, silver, bronze progress...or progress, individual trophy type earned, 31/50?...

I guess that's a bit of a mood point because you can arrange it in any way you want and it still wouldn't be perfect. All of them are relevant somehow for each of us in different ways so one would say this arrangement is best while the other says no this one is better. And so on.

Edited by Durandal
removed a little misreading on my part

9 minutes ago, Durandal said:

1 - I would assume that the implication is that the platinum is the most important trophy?

2 - I guess that's a bit of a mood point because you can arrange it in any way you want and it still wouldn't be perfect. All of them are relevant somehow for each of us in different ways so one would say this arrangement is best while the other says no this one is better. And so on.

1- is it possible you misread "platinum" for "platform"?... 

2 - the logic behind this one is that 31/50 = progress bar %...the trophy icons are an explanation/breakdown of that stat so seeing them under progress kind of makes sense...is it possible sony displays them this way and I have been subliminally seduced?...

Edited by ProfBambam55

1 minute ago, ProfBambam55 said:

1- is it possible you misread "platinum" for "platform"?... 

whoops

Yeah it seems that way that you are used to Sonys way. I actually like it too, but still as a designer you could just keep changing them forever because some might argue for another way to display them. Personally I would put the bar on the bottom so it would align with the platinum percentage, then put the total trophy count on top and the individual trophy count in the middle.

I actually really like this suggestion. It makes more sense to start broad the the trophy count, then get narrowing with the percents and finally get to the individual trophy count. I do think the progress bar should stay in the middle to break up the section

is the green check the sign for 100%?...(off topic...could this be added to our emoticons if not already there?)...if so, another option to reduce visual clutter is to abbreviate...example :

✅ in 5 m 5 d 5 hr...or

:platinum: - 5 yrs 5 mos 5 d 5 hrs 5 mins 5 secs...or whatever abbreviation works...

Edited by ProfBambam55

1 hour ago, Kittet3 said:

I actually really like this suggestion. It makes more sense to start broad the the trophy count, then get narrowing with the percents and finally get to the individual trophy count. I do think the progress bar should stay in the middle to break up the section

I see them kind of as math equations...

1 (most relevant) -> a / b = c...

2 (less relevant) -> d + e + f = a...

so logically speaking displaying 1 then 2 makes sense or 2 then 1...yes, just my opinion...

$hit, double post...apologies...

edit again : ok, I put all of my thoughts together and here is my final suggestion and logic...

left side :

game icon > title...under that, date, and/or abbreviated completion date, as suggested above...under it all, abbreviation for platform as suggested earlier...not sure what would look better...perhaps date and platform could be swapped...

right side :

remove rank column and colour progress bar current rank colour...makes it easy to see what type of profile it is in terms of completion and which games are incomplete...platinum/100% and rarity stat...31/50 > progress bar that is longer than current one > trophy type icon breakdown...

logic : most of the reading is done left and right side has a simple layout that emphasizes visual representation of stats by only having numbers...keeps redundant info minimal...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

I still don't care how our profiles look and will be satisfied with whatever is decided but I like trying to solve potential concerns...one thing I noticed is that the platform box is huge...proportionately, its information is bigger than than any other stat...but it's of minor importance for most of us I would assume...what if it was to be shrunk a bit or abbreviated?...

This makes a lot of sense. I still don't get the reason for showing the console at all (maybe if it actually referred to which version you played, or if it indicated which other versions are available if you wanted to stack the game), but I think most people would agree that it doesn't need to be the biggest text on the screen.

I think simplicity is good...there is a lot of data displayed there and it might be difficulty to cut down on clutter...i wonder if there isn't some way to display it all a little more efficiently...hmmm...right now it all looks kinda "forced in there"...i don't know...as stated earlier, I rarely visit the profile pages...no idea what is actually practical...just saying what comes to mind as I look at it now...throwaway thoughts, really...

That's why the first question that needs to be answered is: what is the goal here? Is it to make the site visually appealing, easy to read, or full of detailed information? I think it's going for the latter -- and sacrificing the first two in the process -- but there's no reason a compromise can't be reached.

It's...hard for me to comment on your ideas because (a) the old layout was an extremely well-designed masterpiece, and (b) I'm a visual person. That said, I'm not too bothered by the order. You see, the old layout (and, to a lesser degree, the new one) was designed so your eye can read from left to right, as well as up to down. The rank category is the best example of this, because it hasn't been touched. Very quickly, you can scroll down the page and see how many of each rank you have. The letter is big (and in color), while the word "RANK" is small (and in a neutral color). Your eye is able to focus only on the information that matters, and it looks great.

I...don't know what's going on with the other columns now. The titles don't read well going down because of the console labels, and the last column makes my eyes bleed. The dates are okay, but I don't see why they need to be a separate column. They made sense under the game title because they're not something your eyes need to register and process quickly. Maybe it looks better on mobile.

Your idea of simplifying "X of X Trophies"/"All X Trophies" to something like "31/50" is good. If all the trophy progress needs to be crammed into one box, there are probably better ways to present it.

3rd edit : an idea to cut down on clutter would be to remove the rank column entirely and instead make the progress bar the colour of our rank...I'd beef up the length a bit...make the gold, silver, bronze icons below the bar, 31/50 (or whatevz) above it...

logically, plat earned/rarity, followed by progress bar, then date makes more sense to me but I'm not sure what importance the date stat has to most...visually this idea would allow for very quick deductions on what type of hunter owns the profile in terms of completion habits...

Hm. The idea of using color to present information is normally good, but we'd have to consider the folks who are visually impaired. It works in the rank column because you can still see the actual rank, even if you're colorblind.

Edited by Cassylvania

The public have spoken and the vast majority prefer the old layout.

Unfortunately this poll and the vast majority of the members of this site’s opinions don’t appear to matter as it’s apparently never going to change back to how it was.

Edited by DieHardDavidN

12 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

I thought the same, they should probably be minus ( - ) symbols instead

Or just lacking the complete symbol, like the complete symbol being incomplete in some way.

I tried to google "incomplete symbol", but yeah, what you get is often ( x ) or ( - ). Where ( x ) reminds you about removing/cancel, and ( - ) makes you think "minimize/hide". :S

Edited by MMDE