Do you buy new, used, or rent games?

MrsB

50% used and 50% new here.

I buy a lot of games used from my local video-game store, especially PS3 games and never had any problems so far. I usually buy games new if I'm really looking forward to the game and honestly believe the company deserves my money.  :P

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

I prefer to buy new because I'm extremely paranoid about scratches on the disc's surface. There's also things like voucher codes and online passes that devalue used copies.

HOWEVER, I don't mind buying used games if they are in alright condition and I can't find them new. This is the case for PS3 games. My latest purchases were Ridge Racer 7 (great condition) and the Killzone Trilogy (disc is fine, case is damaged and the code to download multiplayer content is already used, but since the servers are dead it's useless anyway).

Since I discovered digital rent, I barely bought any new games. I only buy digital games when its one I want and it is for less than 10$, otherwise, rent. Physical games I only buy when I want it in my collection. Most of the games I platinum I never play again apart from Skyrim so...rent all the way, even so because I pay like..$5 for 10 days on a new game here so totally worth it

Edited by Sappurys

I buy most of my games new, and rent some by PS+ subscription. There are some cases where I'll pass on a game at its initlal $60-70 price, but then come around for it when it's about half that or less. If the game is an import that didn't make it to domestic PSN, I'll buy the physical.

Something such as a Trails or Ys game is worth $60 or even $70 to me. Trails and the newer Ys games can last 60-100 hours. For a CoD game, $70 is a bit too much especially if the campaign is all I care about. Activision should consider a lite version with campaign only for $40-45. That said, I could let $70 go for Crysis 4.

The CoD series I hardly play after I've gotten whatever trophies I can from them. I have never gone back to MW 2019 since platting it.

99%  of the time I buy new games, there's something that feels nice about opening a game for the first time.

Every once in a while I buy a used game but that's basically worst case scenario.

And I do rent PS+ games quite a bit actually, it made me discover games that I liked but also weren't for me.

So it all depends. Is it bundled with one use code DLC or is the dlc on disk? if it is the first one then, I will buy new. Example: Life is Strange 2 you had to buy new since the last episode is not on disk but a code.

How old is the title? PS3/Early PS4? Buy used.

Is it a series you like? Buy new. Is it a series you like but the cost is too high? Wait for a sale or buy used.

• 2 weeks later...

Many good offers for digital games, but yeah, you got to stay sharp to watch for good physical deals, i liked to rent via blockbuster back in the ps3/ps4 days, many great titles, and i loved when there was this deal of 6 dolars per month and you could rent one movie and one videogame for the whole month without returning it within the time period, and once you return them you could rent another one.

6 hours ago, Tankor_smash said:

Mostly used, but I borrow a ton of games from the public library.

The fuck kinda library are you going to? I must know!!!

On topic: I typically buy used since it's cheaper. I only buy new if the game really interests me (or if its digital).

nowhere here rents anymore..well. there's 1 store like 20min away but eh. They also sell new and used games so i normally find a game to buy instead of rent. lol.

I prefer physical and i normally buy new. I like to play games while they have the hype. Most times. Tho it has attributed to a huge backlog.

I buy used sometimes when its a game i wanted at launch. but felt i wouldn't play it so i delayed it for myself, i normally grab those on sale like 2months after (NHL), or ill get it used.

really depends.