Real-name Requests

bigrake1

I haven't shared my full name with anyone on the internet ever. (Aside from places that require it of course, such as online stores, PR, etc.)

Not even my best online friend - who I know basically everything about - knows my last name. It's not that I don't trust him, but I'd never feel comfortable giving it out to someone online, let alone some random PSN user.

6 hours ago, bigrake1 said:

I don't see a thread on this issue, but I was wondering how comfortable everyone was with receiving real-name requests on PS4. I received one today from an individual on my friend list who I don't know all that well, and I have mixed feelings about that. Thoughts?

I currently only have 28 friends. At one point I had the maximum of 100 on PS3, but deleted 70+ because I never partied up with them. Anyway, of those 28, 19 have PS4 (not counting secondary friend accounts or, in one case, someone that passed away) and of those 19, 11 have done Real Name Request with me. We all started off on PS3 and after a few years of gaming together, decided to add each other on Facebook. When PS4 came out, we did Real Name Request because we already knew each other well enough by then.

2 hours ago, zer007uk said:

It don't bother me. You share your real name all over social media anyways, how is PSN any different? 

2 hours ago, Fing3rButt3r3 said:

Obviously those that are sensitive with their PSN real names are probably same with their social media accounts. 

I think it has more to do with the type of people you appeal to on both platforms. On your Facebook profile you are more likely to have people added who know you in the real world, while on PSN you add people who play games with you and not much else. But I will say that if your name is "James Smith" or close enough to it, you shouldn't give a fuck about telling people your real name, because thousands of people have that name. I can understand if people have an obscure name that nobody else in the world has, as that makes you an easier target for doxxing. But I've met plenty of people who have an absurdly common name who are afraid to tell people that name although it wouldn't hurt them in any way to do so. 

I only send and accept real name requests from people I already know the name of. It just makes it easier to find friends with names I might be more familiar with. e.g. I've my Dad, my best friend and her fiancé, people I went to uni with, several exes, regulars from a chat room I used to frequent, etc all added on PSN. I'm more likely to recognise these people by their real names than their PSN IDs. But someone I don't already know the name of? That information is personally meaningless to me and it's more likely to make me stop and think "who?" than their online handle would. I don't feel any reason to know their name, and likewise I don't see what they would really gain from learning mine either. 

• Like 1

I only accept them from people I actually know in person. I'm not that bothered by people knowing my name, but I like my friends list to distinguish between the two (eg Kieran is my best mate, randomuser123 is that guy I boosted levels with in Just Dance).

I have my first name and the first two letters of my last name on PSN (or some other name if I feel like giving myself a cool last name), but I still only accept these requests from close friends. It works just fine without them knowing my real name & not everyone needs to know that much about me. Once we talk a lot (not just write, I'm expecting at least some parties on PS4 that make me think I really know the person I'm talking to) and get to know each other, I don't mind accepting these requests and at least telling them my first name.

Edited by viech54

I'm not really bothered if people online know my real name, especially since it's so common. You're not going to find anything meaningful about me with that information and I don't think anybody even cares to. :P My appearance is where I draw the line as I'm very self-conscious. I don't even have a picture of myself from the last 10 years or something.

As for accepting real name requests on PSN, I've done it in the past, even to people I'm not super close with. My profile picture is just the avatar I use on this site and others, so all you're getting is my real name, and again, that doesn't bother me. For the reasons @BlindMango stated though, I prefer referring to people as their usernames and associating them with an avatar rather than using their real names and faces. I'm not a fan of how PSN is trying its hardest to imitate social media.

• Like 1

For personal safety reasons, I prefer to not share my full name with just about anyone I meet on the internet. I don't use social media either for the most part but my name, the way how I am and where I am, could most probably be singled out easily with the correct information. Living in one of the most dangerous places in the world makes you take a number of additional security measure in order to stay alive you know ?

However, I'm willing to give my name to people I know I can trust and that I have talked with regularly. There have to be a meaningful exchange and a good amount of trust for me to give my name, that's all really. Pictures of me though, that's a big no-no :P

I personally prefer our gaming nicknames as I feel that makes everyone just much more unique to refer to. Kudos to you if you have a cool name there ^^

• Like 2

I've never quite understood why people demand real name requests.  I mean, why is it so important?  The names we use on PSN should be enough, or even on this site. :rolleyes:

I could care less what anyone's real name is.

Edited by Lorajet
  • Like 4

I don't really mind it 

I put nothing in the internet that I want to keep secret or is to personal 

And all they could find with my really name is for example my Facebook account were I have nothing to private 

Also you can always just refuse the request 

8 hours ago, zer007uk said:

It don't bother me. You share your real name all over social media anyways, how is PSN any different? 

I only have my real name on Facebook. The difference is I know everyone I'm friends with on FB because they're my real life friends and family. 

As for PSN, I know none of my friends on there in real life. Don't want a bunch of strangers knowing my name. They might be cool to play games with but I don't know what they're really like. Could be psychos or serial killers especially that @Dr_Mayus guy. Always been suss of him lol jk.

Edited by Feral
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Feral said:

I only have my real name on Facebook. The difference is I know everyone I'm friends with on FB because they're my real life friends and family. 

As for PSN, I know none of my friends on there in real life. Don't want a bunch of strangers knowing my name. They might be cool to play games with but I don't know what they're really like. Could be psychos or serial killers especially that @Dr_Mayus guy. Always been suss of him lol jk.

Just because I removed your appendix when you were drunk one night...doesn't mean I am shady :ninja:

• Like 3