Red Dead is boring

GoneWild300

I loved it from the opening sequence. That first game was fantastic, won't find evidence because I played on 360, and my mother also loves the story. My mother doesn't play much games but she is hooked to this because of the first one. Yes, I can say the first part feels like a tutorial because you learning how to switch weapons, kill animals, skin, loot dead people, searching, dead eye funtion, lassoing and hogtie etc...

Give it a chance.

• Like 1

This game could take several 100's of hours to complete, don't judge it just for it's first chapter. Chapter 1 is meant to build the foundation for the rest of the story and let you get used to the game mechanics. From chapter 2 you'll get much more freedom to do whatever you want. Chapter 1 just scratches the surface of the possibilities in this game, give it some more time.

8 hours ago, Erkawest said:

Yeah I kinda felt the same, specially after playing Odyssey which is more fast paced. Arthur's controls are really heavy and slow, can't even climb a slope without sliding down.

But I guess the more time you spend on the game, more you will like it

yeah this is why I only did the beginning of red dead. I absolutely do want to play it but feel like tackling AC first will help me play Red Dead better. wont have fast controls of AC embedded in me lol. plus red dead 2 is my final ps4 game of the year most likely so I'll have tons of time for it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Just because you didn't like the first much doesn't make it overrated in any sense of the word. Critics and fans loved red dead redemption so you're in the small minority that think this about it so that doesn't make it overrated.

Me not liking something, doesn't make it over rated.

Damn near every reviewer unanimously praising it, and the second you call it out as not being 100% up your alley a stranger defends it, that definitely comes closer though.

But nah. Now that I have a minute more. The game is fucking fantastic, don't get me wrong. I love it, and respect it to death. I have 3 copies as well, for the record. I think it's a fantastic game. An amazing open world, traversal and exploration is just so fun, the weapons and gun play *mwah*, it's all beautiful. The perfectly timed and crafted music, the visuals that still hold up today, it truly is a masterpiece. I think it's grand. If you asked me to show you five games to prove the medium is capable of making "art", RDR would surely be one of them.

That being said, a lot of people like to give it unfair praise, literally call it perfect, and shoot you down if you say it's anything lower than a 100% perfect, even a 90% rating? Not good enough. The story drags, draaaaaags, at times, many times really. The controls are far from perfect and while Marston is an improvement over Niko, this is no GTA V. As far as the huge open world goes, that really does come down to opinion, on the one hand it's more faithful, there would be giant areas with nothing in them and on the other it makes for a largely baron and empty open world that, yeah, sure, it does feel like what I'd imagine the old west would and it captures the atmosphere fine, but it's still just a big ass empty area with some cacti. 

I'm not an idiot, well, maybe I am, but the point is, I get it, I get that I'm nitpicking. Overall the game is still great. But so few people are willing to so much as admit the game even has any flaws at all, which, in my eyes, would qualify it for the title of over rated.

• Like 1

"Boring"

Sounds like someone has a short attention span.

15 hours ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

What do you expect?? there was nothing back then but riding horses and shooting birds...and enjoying the ladies at pubs.

I prefer to save my horse and ride the cowboys...

Edited by Dangisuckatgamin
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, aZombieDictator said:

It's been known it takes around 10 hours for the game to basically open up. Just stick with it and get past that part. 

I'm not getting it, but if you already bought it just try your hardest to get past the first 10 hours then everything should get a lot better.

This is the definition of a bad game sadly :( ..... no game should take 10 hours to "open up".  Not all games need to be amazing awesome explosions action jaw dropping suspense...... But NO GAME should be boring. Once again, people over hype a game. Feel bad for the ones who pre-ordered this.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Fish613 said:

This is the definition of a bad game sadly :( ..... no game should take 10 hours to "open up".  Not all games need to be amazing awesome explosions action jaw dropping suspense...... But NO GAME should be boring. Once again, people over hype a game. Feel bad for the ones who pre-ordered this.

Games, books, movies, etc all have multiple acts and chapters that can have different pace and appreciable quality. People that are truly interested judging a product will judge the whole thing and not pick out one or two issues and pretend the entire product is bad.

Every game has boring moments and sections. Everyone has different opinions.

Your rules and game theory doesn't work in the real world for anyting.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fish613 said:

Yeah I agree with this. I wasn't hyped for the game at all, but I was thinking of getting it. But after seeing how long the introduction is and how slow the game is I don't want it anymore. The details are absolutely amazing. And the game is built very well, but I personally couldn't get past that long intro and I hate all the realistic aspects. I don't wanna play a game where I have to manage so much about my character and horse.

But it's definitely not for everyone. The game deserves the hype and it's a good game, but a lot of people probably won't like it.

Also this is the best review I've seen for the game. They bring up very good points.

Welp, about 17 hours in now and i gotta say some severe issues start showing. Dont get me wrong, the game is fricking great and the world is unbelievably beautiful and immersive. But some tasks and mechanics are overly tedious, criptic and sometimes just broken (not to an extreme degree). I feel like they went way to hard for realism and quite a few things would have been way better off and sound if they had been "gameified" more.

Overall some stuff is just simply not fun to do.

EDIT: Just finished Chapter 2 btw, so the game is fairly long.

Edited by Sundr0wn

For me I think the game is great in it's own right.  However the thing I dislike the most about Red Dead and GTAV is the sluggish character movements and controls.  It just doesn't feel like you are in full control.  It isn't fluid for lack of better terms.  It doesn't play like a video game.   You don't snap headshots with any sense of ease.  Getting into and out of cover is sluggish.  Really there is no cover system.    This has always been my complaint with GTAV and I was afraid they would copy over the same game play mechanics into Red Dead and they did.  I understand that Rockstar wants to have these life like characters and it's impossible to have COD like fluid Gameplay with such realistic graphics in a realistic world.  However, this is suppose to be a video game, not an interactive movie.  When the day comes where we have a beautiful, responsive world like what is in Red Dead and your character moves and controls like COD multiplayer, then we will have the perfect game. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

For me I think the game is great in it's own right.  However the thing I dislike the most about Red Dead and GTAV is the sluggish character movements and controls.  It just doesn't feel like you are in full control.  It isn't fluid for lack of better terms.  It doesn't play like a video game.   You don't snap headshots with any sense of ease.  Getting into and out of cover is sluggish.  Really there is no cover system.    This has always been my complaint with GTAV and I was afraid they would copy over the same game play mechanics into Red Dead and they did.  I understand that Rockstar wants to have these life like characters and it's impossible to have COD like fluid Gameplay with such realistic graphics in a realistic world.  However, this is suppose to be a video game, not an interactive movie.  When the day comes where we have a beautiful, responsive world like what is in Red Dead and your character moves and controls like COD multiplayer, then we will have the perfect game. 

That's the one thing I was hoping wouldn't carry over from GTA V along with the bad writing I guess, so far only the movement mad it, to be fair, if you get Arthur stamina up he runs pretty damn fast. There's also so many animations for every little situation it feels better than in V.

5 minutes ago, KeoneArt said:

What the hell are you people talking about ? The Intro is like 1.5 - 2.5 hours long, what do you think you're doing that whole time, staring at a wall ? They're setting up the story and characters while showing you how the new mechanics worked. If that intro bored you than you must be wanted to play Fortnite or something, like the first game this is for people that like to get invested into their games story and world, or for people who are fans of crime films with good writing, I'm still on chapter 2 and I already better than GTA V, and I'm a guy who's loved the crazy saints row series (SR1,SR2,SR4). It's like this generations San Andreas. Idk wtf you people were expecting to buy. Open world of RDR, living world of Witcher 3, character customization and development of San Andreas, with the shooting of Max Payne, AGAIN, all done better than GTA V already. It amazes me that the average adult could even hate this game. (I'm 20). You're really going to skip a game because it's intro literally INTRODUCES YOU to the world, the story and the situation the gang are currently in ?

I said my points. The intro isn't the only thing I wouldn't like, I even praised the game lol. As I said it's not for me.

And saying how it amazes you someone could hate the game? That's subjective. People all have their own tastes and preferences. I don't like GTA, Battlefield, fighting games, and the like because of my taste and preferences. Just because you absolutely love it doesn't mean everyone else will.

I'm skipping the game because it doesn't catch my eye and I know I most likely wouldn't enjoy it. But that doesn't mean I hate the game. I've been very skeptical about it and I've watched several hours of Twitch streaming to see if I'd like it and I came to the conclusion I would not personally enjoy it. I'm not hating on the game, it's just a taste and preference thing.

I just absolutely hate it when people say you're crazy or dumb for not liking certain stuff. It's ok to not like things, even if it's a masterpiece like Red Dead.

• Like 1