PlayStation Vita = Poop?

like im sure the majority have said, if you dont mind not having the largest selection of AAA titles you'll feel right at home. there are still a ton of games to play on the vita, and a lot of them are quite amazing and enjoyable.  for me the vita fills in that time gap during my commute where i can just relax and play something silly, usually games that arent terribly long and dont need to invest a lot of time into.  dont get me wrong there are plenty of those as well.  lots of indie games, lots of japanese / visual novels. if you're looking to stack trophies then get it, looking to just get more trophies in general then get it. dont care for big titles, want to find some hidden gems you might not have ever considered? etc etc.   

tl;dr   just get one.

8 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Except there are so many great games on VITA and not switch. 

It is still possible to get some good retail deals - I recently got lumines from cex for £6 and can trade it back for £4. Games are also very often on digital sale. So basically just the same as you should do on all consoles - get cheap retail or wait for digital sales. 

Honestly, even if the Vita had a slight edge, which would come down to individual preference and not mass market appeal, most of the Switch's games have a larger mass market appeal than the Vita's trademark JRPG stuff, that's only going to go away with time anyway, because the Switch is still getting games, the Vita hasn't got an exclusive in longer than I can remember.

Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, StarLink's StarFox, Mario + Rabbids, Xenoblade, Pokemon, and so on, and they're just some exclusives off the top of my head. Then you've got games that are exclusive to Switch and Wii U (no one owns a Wii U though so may as well be Switch only), like Bayonetta 2, Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Country, Captain Toad, New Super Mario Bros, Hyrule Warriors, and more. Then you've got upcoming exclusives like Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Metroid Prime 4, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and so on, and these are all just the EXCLUSIVES I could think of off the top of my head.

Vita has a decent Uncharted, Killzone, Gravity Rush, Tearaway I guess, and that's about it as far as things worth checking out go. And the latter 2 are already on PS4 and run much better. Vita's exclusive COD was shit, Vita's exclusive Resistance was shit, Vita's exclusive Assassin's Creed went to other consoles. *Most* stuff worthwhile on Vita has already made the jump to another console. That's it. It ain't getting any more stuff. And sure, there's a semi-decent offering of third party stuff on the console, but if you're gonna bring that argument in, then you can bring in the Switch's third party stuff which undeniably trounces the Vita's offerings.

Also Lumines is great. I like the Vita one, got it with Plus, and had the physical cart for like 8 bucks many moons ago. Lumines Remastered is available on Switch though, so I'll get my fix there if I need.

I enjoy the games on vita. It looks good, fancy. I only wish the screen was a little bit bigger.  For a old man like me sometimes I just got to squint to see the text. But I can imagine how much more Itll cost if any bigger. Also the buttons could be a tiny bit bigger. But Sony is soon removing anymore free plus games for vita so support probably will get worse and worse. Sending games to download from ps store doesn't even seem to work 90% of the time so it's reaaaally stressful trying download dlc and such because the store on vita itself is a mess. But i still love my baby....

Same with sending games to download for Ps3 from browser store. Now is really the time to play everything u got for these old systems. Soon it may be a hell to even download a game for them as their website advances but not the system itself.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

55 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Honestly, even if the Vita had a slight edge, which would come down to individual preference and not mass market appeal, most of the Switch's games have a larger mass market appeal than the Vita's trademark JRPG stuff, that's only going to go away with time anyway, because the Switch is still getting games, the Vita hasn't got an exclusive in longer than I can remember.

Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, StarLink's StarFox, Mario + Rabbids, Xenoblade, Pokemon, and so on, and they're just some exclusives off the top of my head. Then you've got games that are exclusive to Switch and Wii U (no one owns a Wii U though so may as well be Switch only), like Bayonetta 2, Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Country, Captain Toad, New Super Mario Bros, Hyrule Warriors, and more. Then you've got upcoming exclusives like Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Metroid Prime 4, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and so on, and these are all just the EXCLUSIVES I could think of off the top of my head.

Vita has a decent Uncharted, Killzone, Gravity Rush, Tearaway I guess, and that's about it as far as things worth checking out go. And the latter 2 are already on PS4 and run much better. Vita's exclusive COD was shit, Vita's exclusive Resistance was shit, Vita's exclusive Assassin's Creed went to other consoles. *Most* stuff worthwhile on Vita has already made the jump to another console. That's it. It ain't getting any more stuff. And sure, there's a semi-decent offering of third party stuff on the console, but if you're gonna bring that argument in, then you can bring in the Switch's third party stuff which undeniably trounces the Vita's offerings.

Also Lumines is great. I like the Vita one, got it with Plus, and had the physical cart for like 8 bucks many moons ago. Lumines Remastered is available on Switch though, so I'll get my fix there if I need.

Erm, yes, but not sure what your point is. Indeed switch has more mass market appeal, but that doesn't remove all the great games on VITA. Switch getting more games also doesn't remove the VITA games... Little confused as to what you are trying to disagree with specifically. You seem to want to ignore VITA games because they don't make as many sales(???) 

Listen... I love the Vita. Does it have "great exclusive titles" not really. There's a few. In the time of the Switch I would almost always reach for the Switch first. 

If you love trophy hunting though, the Vita is a goldmine. There's something so great about being able to earn trophies wherever you go. Would I buy one now if I didn't care about trophies? Hell no. I absolutely LOVE this machine though. I took it with me all around the world & was always entertained with the games it has. 

Edited by BlackCatBurrito
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Paleblood said:

Thanks for proving my point.

Are these amazing games worth enough to buy Vita?

Freedom wars

Minecraft

Dead nation

Need for speed

Persona 4 Golden

Civilization revolution 2

XCOM Enemy Unknown Plus

Killzone Mercenary

Uncharted Golden Abyss

RE revelations 2

Jack and Daxter

Ratchet and Clank

There are enough good Vita games to play it for years

Here are some Vita games that I recommend playing. There are plenty more good ones depending on your tastes.

Muramasa Rebirth

Gravity Rush

Tokyo Xanadu (Strongly recommend if you like RPGs like Ys VIII)

Jak Trilogy

Sly Trilogy

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

Ratchet and Clank Trilogy

Assassin's Creed III Liberation (Fantastic graphics on Vita similar to Uncharted Golden Abyss)

Any Atelier game

Persona 4 Golden

Persona 4 Dancing All Night

Gal*Gun Double Peace

Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed

Conception 2: Children of the Seven Stars

Sword Art Online: Lost Song

Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization

Accel World Vs Sword Art Online

Ys Origins

Ys IV: Memories of Celceta

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

God of War collection

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

Tales of Hearts R

Mary Skelter Nightmares

Superdimension Neptune Vs Sega Hard Girls

Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth V1, V2 and V3

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath

God Eater Resurrection

God Eater 2 Raging Blast

All the Danganronpa games

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

Digimon Story: Hacker's Memory

Utawarareumono Mask of Truth

Utawararerumono Mask of Deception

Criminal Girls

Criminal Girls 2

Demon Gaze

Demon Gaze 2

Ar Nosurge Plus: Ode to an Unborn Star

Dokuro

Yomawari: Night Alone

Yomawari: Midnight Shadows

Hatsune Miku Project Diva f and f2nd (Don't buy Diva X)

Soul Sacrifice Delta

Toukiden Kiwami

Toukiden 2

• Like 1

Honestly if you're not into visual novels then you should consider buying a switch instead. 

I personally love the PS Vita I think it's a great handheld console and it has one of my favorite video game series which is Danganronpa. 

There are some exclusives like Uncharted Golden Abyss though. The only problem I have with the Vita is that the games are ridiculously expensive for what they are. 

On 12/12/2018 at 3:48 AM, Guest said:

I don't know if it's worth it, are the games good?

Tough call. My feeling is, if you aren't already excited about the games, you probably won't get excited after this thread.

For me, the Vita was great, because of the large number of Japanese games that came there. But I wouldn't recommend it to someone who doesn't already feel the need to scratch that itch.

1 hour ago, Kurofur said:

Honestly if you're not into visual novels then you should consider buying a switch instead

I personally love the PS Vita I think it's a great handheld console and it has one of my favorite video game series which is Danganronpa. 

There are some exclusives like Uncharted Golden Abyss though. The only problem I have with the Vita is that the games are ridiculously expensive for what they are. 

There's certainly something to this. I personally don't care all that much for VNs, but the trophies on the Vita ultimately sealed the deal. Cross buys with extra plats are nice, too.

Edited by starcrunch061

Vita is underrated.  Being backward compatible with PS1 & PSP games bought from PSN only makes it better.  The one bad thing is that they made their own proprietary memory cards, rather than using microSDHC ones like the Switch.

Playstation TV/PSVitaTV units are getting insanely expensive now... I've seen them hit $200+. ? Glad I got mine when it was $50.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 9:51 PM, gameoverDude189 said:

Playstation TV/PSVitaTV units are getting insanely expensive now... I've seen them hit $200+. ? Glad I got mine when it was $50.

I still find it very odd that hike happened at all, for a system supposedly in low demand. I was very glad to get mine only months before for 60 dollars as a replacement for my Vita.