Is trophy hunting a waste of time your thoughts.

I can't really say that in general trophy hunting is a waste. Because each game has a different kind of trophy list.

For the games with some heavy grindy trophies, I'd say yes, it's a waste of time to try to get them. I'm especially looking at JRPG and musou games 's trophies... When you spend more than 50h for a stupid trophy that doesn't require anything but your time, something is wrong... I say that but I kinda like having a stupid grindy games to play when I'm watching tv shows or youtube.

You have the hard trophy list, where you can find a good challenge. It's not really a waste of time if you're into that kind of thing.

Then you have the trophy list that makes you explore what the game has to offer. Not really hard or time consuming but not easy and rushable. I tend to really like these kind of trophy lists so it's not a waste of time for me :)

• Like 1

It all depends, if you've enjoyed the game and want the most out of it than no it is not a waste of time no matter how long it took you.  On the other hand if you didn't enjoy the game enough i don't see why anyone would spend hours, and hours doing something he/she is not enjoying.

Or maybe i'm just getting too old for all this. 

Edited by Jun_Kazama316

Much like TV, Books, and Movies, Video games by there very nature are designed as something for us to do as we pass time between other commitments. If you're not wasting time on these you'll be wasting it on something else, so you might as well waste it on something you enjoy doing. 

As for Trophies specifically, there is no right or wrong answer. If you're enjoying a game, go for that Platinum, not only do you get the satisfaction of the completion, but you also know that you got your moneys worth out of the game, and if you're not enjoying it move on, you can always come back to it again another time if you really want.

• Like 1

Theoretically speaking, playing video games is wasting your time. I like hunting trophies because then I have a shiny emblem for my wasted time :) 

Actually, though, I see where you're coming from- the countless Far Cry 2 mp matches made me question myself at times, but I had fun with it. I think everybody will have a different experience, but personally, I love getting stuff done and trophies give me a sense of satisfaction and achievement about what I do to relax and in my downtime. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PaoloGaldor said:

Going to be controversial and say yes !! Well for me anyhow !! I find that trophies have ruined my gaming somewhat.. I get obsessed every so often with whether games can give ma a platinum that  I loose sight of why I play games !! I've got a shed load of games in my backlog that are untouched or uncompleted due to this.  I know its my problem and on the flip side when i'm in the zone the thrill of getting an elusive trophy is amazing.

Pre trophy days I just played games.. because i liked them !!

I feel the same way. I am going to change my ways however and start working through my backlog. I'm going to focus on story first then if I like it then continue with trophies if I so desire.

Its not a waste of time if you are enjoying the game. But if you think that its a pain to plat and don't really like the game, then there isn't much point unless you're a hard core trophy hunter. 

i only go for plats in games that I actually enjoy and wouldn't mind spending 100 or so hour into. Even if a game as a relatively easy plat, if I hate it I won't bother e.g. i didn't bother with Tales of Zestiria's plat as I hated the game, despite being a Tales fan and platting all the other Tales games. 

Also, for me games like Disgaea 4 and Star Ocean the last hope which take a million hours to plat seem like a waste of time, 300 hours is just way too much to grind away at one game. You'd miss out on all the newer games playing it.