Will you be buying the PS5 day one?

Venocide

Too early to tell. I think the PS5 reveal will determine a lot. For me the backwards compatibility will be a big factor in deciding whether I get it or not. I think there has to be full backwards compatibility with the PS4 and all of my games that I bought on PSN needs to move over. If they don't do that there is no way I am getting it day one. However, if they do backwards with all generations and expand the features of that with PS Now that could be a great value proposition for me because now I can not only play the new stuff but I can go back and finish games from my PS3. That reveal event will be very exciting to say the least!

Knowing that launch series are typically inferior to subsequent series (ex. slim redesign, more patches for stability improvements and no this not a joke :p, rerelease with larger storage space, less prone to have fan issues, etc etc), I'll be waiting a little bit longer.

How much longer, I have no idea. However, the fact that it'll run ps4 games better may cut that waiting time a little short for me. We'll see how well it'll be received at launch.

Edited by PooPooBlast
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Yes definitely, no doubt about it.

I was expecting way more answer like that ! 

Im very surprised that a big majority dont want to get it day one

For me, unless there is a big news about something annoying my way of playing, it will be a big yes too :)

Edited by seblegamer
  • Like 1

Too early to say, we barely know anything about the console. However, my PS4 backlog is still pretty big I don't see myself getting a new console by the end of this year.

On top of that, knowing how the latest tech releases quite often don't perform as expected I might wait for some reviews. Maybe Black Friday 2021 I might get some special edition/bundle. I got Gold PS4 like that.

Probably not at launch but I would be highly shocked if not in the first six months. I like to wait until there's a decent amount of games on the console before buying in, plus I want to make sure that the first consoles out don't have some RROD-esque epidemic.

Full backwards compatibility would definitely be a massive pro though as long as it works well.

The PS5 will definitely be natively compatible with the PS4 since it's the same x86 architecture. However you can count on Sony to make you pay for full price "Ultra HD" re-releases when they could just provide patches optimized for the PS5.

As for the PS3, it's a whole different beast and I wouldn't bet on it. RPCS3 is a very advanced emulator, yet you can't (currently) run RDR1 faster than 15 fps on a powerful CPU.

Yup. Getting the PS3 at launch gave me a rare and expensive version of the console so I've kept the practice up ever since.

Plus since it's backwards compatible with the PS4 I can still tackle my backlog while having access to the newer games.

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

doubt it. got ps3 at the end of 2011, and ps4 at the end of 2017.

however may get it sooner in comparison to that gap due to there not being a secondary gaming system like the vita to hold up in that time on top of it. its really going to depend on a couple of things, the price i will be able to get it at and how much 3rd party japanese support will hold out for on ps4. i just really hope everything wont turn into a complete abandon ship straight away once ps5 arrives.

Nope...I've never gotten a console Day 1. I don't have money like that to spend, I need to strategize and hit sales on eBay when they're just right 

With the PS4, I didn't get one until 2015 and got it for $330, which was lower than it's first price drop. And just bought a PS4 Pro for $267, which was even lower than the OG PS4. Plus new consoles always have hardware issues...launch consoles are always a mess, yet people keep jumping on them anyways. Add to the fact that the PS5 is going to be a more complex situation than before...as not only will there be a Pro version launching at some point, I fully expect there to be ANOTHER upgrade happening (A Pro 2 if you will). While I don't condone this mid-gen upgrade garbage, I can't control it...and would just rather get the most powerful version of the console right up front. None of this spending heaps of cash on a machine that's outdated (in terms of the PS5) right away. 

And like I said, I just got a PS4 Pro since my OG PS4 is having issues. I knew ahead of time I wasn't getting a PS5 any time soon...which is why I pulled the trigger on the Pro instead of waiting. I'm probably looking at no earlier than 2022 before I get one...and even that is a bit soon. 

yes day 1 for ps5. if they release a "pro" version a few years after ill pick it up as well. If ps5 has flaws thats why you buy insurance on a console and exchange it. IF it is out of warranty, you rip someone off online and sell it $75 less than retail and cut your losses. Go buy a new ps5 again. 

xbox series x probably as well. tho i may wait on that since xclusives are xbox big failure. Hellblade 2 isnt enough. 

also rumor is $499 tops cause Sony wants to sell units, whereas Xbox is rumored $599. 

so in canada looking at $500. pretty cheap .

Edited by LegacyJKO09
  • Like 1

Day one? No.

I, for the most part have migrated to PC so there's definitely no rush to get another system. I have a wait and see attitude because the PS4 was disappointing to me.

I can fully embrace the backward compatibility aspect of the PS5 however but there definitely needs to be more to entice me to get it.