Ratalaika Games? Do you like them?

SuchRemorse

I have played a few just because they are quick little games most of the time and they are very cheap. And they have some of the easiest trophy lists. Sometimes I don't have a lot of time to sit there for hours and hours I work a lot and most of my day is spent doing adult things.  I might want to get the satisfaction of finishing a game in one sitting. Kinda like the original Nintendo. Sometimes I would sit there as a child for 5 or 6 hours playing a game to finish it. This kinda brings me back to those days. But here is the thing. Do we like these games? Or do we just play them for the trophies? Is there anyone out there that actually enjoys these little games or do you just buy them for the platinum???? 

I have nothing against them. Most of what I've played has been at least a little bit of fun. It feels like every big AAA-game needs to be a open world game, so it's fun to play occasionally something that doesn't take 60 hours to complete.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Juzota said:

I have nothing against them. Most of what I've played has been at least a little bit of fun. It feels like every big AAA-game needs to be a open world game, so it's fun to play occasionally something that doesn't take 60 hours to complete.

That's what I like. Sometimes I like a nice short one hour game. Some of them can be fun! :)

I admit that I've first bought them because of the trophies, they pop up first if you search for games to get into trophy hunting.

But they're more than easy trophies I've you give them a chance, I think I've enjoyed Peasant Knight and Devious Dungeon 1& 2 the most, but Daggerhood, Gravity Duck and Cybarian are fun games aswell.

I'm always doing the PS4 version of the game first and if I enjoyed the game I play past the platinum on the vita. For 5 bucks they're perfect for the bus ride to work and back imo.

But of course there's some crap... I hate Zero Zero Zero Zero

Bought a few of them, and only ever buy them if I think they maybe at least somewhat decent and about what I usually do for about most games I buy anyway, although I have bought quite a few games knowing they would be bad games like Life of Black Tiger and such, So that could be a reason as well. Never have bought a game solely for trophies.
Also didn't know some of the games I bought were published by Ratalaika games until after I bought them either.

I've heard the games aren't too bad, not great by any means but not awful. I think Cornshaq normally gives them around a 6 or 7 out of ten. I won't play them though, I want a platinum to feel like I've completed a game not just took part.

As to why others play them.

I think if a game appears on someone's profile once they are after a quick easy game, some easy trophies, maybe a stop gap between bigger games.

If they have stacks of the same game it is purely just for trophies, as you say they are just being purchased for the platinum and nothing else. I don't think there is any enjoyment in the actual game in this instance.

2 hours ago, JayDeLosDioses said:

I admit that I've first bought them because of the trophies, they pop up first if you search for games to get into trophy hunting.

But they're more than easy trophies I've you give them a chance, I think I've enjoyed Peasant Knight and Devious Dungeon 1& 2 the most, but Daggerhood, Gravity Duck and Cybarian are fun games aswell.

I'm always doing the PS4 version of the game first and if I enjoyed the game I play past the platinum on the vita. For 5 bucks they're perfect for the bus ride to work and back imo.

But of course there's some crap... I hate Zero Zero Zero Zero

I agree with you. The games are quick and fun. And I actually liked Zero zero zero zero lol... What's wrong with it?? It reminds me of old Atari games from when I was like 4 years old. 

I like them because they're bringing oddball indie games to a wider audience. When the platinum takes less than 2 hours, they're insuring their game will sell copies and earn money for them and these small development teams. Impressively, most of what @RatalaikaGames publishes is functional, unlike many AAA games that need patches for months.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SanctifiedSword said:

I think one of the interesting things these Rata games have done is expose people's mentalities on both sides of the isle about how they feel about trophies.

5 hours ago, SanctifiedSword said:

This whole Rata concept/argument... issue... thing... stems from the fact people put way too much stock in others online profiles instead of getting enjoyment out of what they play,

That is just what I take from those ever-repeating Ratalaika/easy-games threads. So many people seem to be unable to draw joy from their hobby in any other way than through the "recognition" of others. Regardless if for high numbers or "rarity" or whatever factor - it doesn't seem enough to play the game and enjoy it.

The ez vs "worthy" has another end. I am pretty sure there are people who play "UR" games not for the joy, but only because they are UR. It's not much different than stacking short games, only from a different angle. Then I so often read that people play games with a guide from the start so they don't lose time with a second playthrough. Is that fun, getting the story spoiled because you know your best pal will betray you 2/3 into the game from the guide because a trophy is tacked to killing him?

What I learned from this site: Even though I am putting quite some time into playing games, it could be way worse. I feel relieved that I actually enjoy playing games, not caring what people think of me. I learned that from dealing with people in real life, who mostly look down on the hobby. I just never thought it'd be a helpful attitude with other people who play video games. Only after joining PSNP I learned better.

Edited by Rally-Vincent---
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

That is just what I take from those ever-repeating Ratalaika/easy-games threads. So many people seem to be unable to draw joy from their hobby in any other way than through the "recognition" of others. Regardless if for high numbers or "rarity" or whatever factor - it doesn't seem enough to play the game and enjoy it.

The ez vs "worthy" has another end. I am pretty sure there are people who play "UR" games not for the joy, but only because they are UR. It's not much different than stacking short games, only from a different angle. Then I so often read that people play games with a guise from the start so they don't lose time with a second playthrough. Is that fun, getting the story spoiled becaiuse you know your best pal will betray you 2/3 into the game from the guide because a trophy is tacked to killing him?

What I learned from this site: Even though I am putting quite some time into playing games, it could be way worse. I feel relieved that I actually enjoy playing games, not caring what people think of me. I learned that from dealing with people in real life, who mostly look down on the hobby. I just never thought it'd be a helpful attitude with other people who play video games. Only after joining PSNP I learned better.

I have a bad habit of rambling in my replies on these threads sometimes, you put what I was trying to get at in a much better fashion. Can be dangerous on the extreme on both sides. Kudos. xD 

I have to mention though, that middle part there hit me deep: scanning trophy lists for missable trophies only to spoil parts of the story for myself. Definitely guilty and I talked about that in another thread. There's been some small times where I wish I didn't care as much about my % completion as I do, but I have too much fun with it in the end. Maybe if these RPG's had less grindy or less "miss one item and you're screwed" trophies I'd be more inclined to do a completely blind play-through of these games. Ah well. Guilty is me. I still have fun chasing the % though, so it's all good. 

You echoed my thoughts exactly about my mentality when it comes to this whole trophy thing/other peoples thoughts. The world is already stressful enough/people look down on games/time spent playing/hunting stupid virtual icons/whatever. Then I come to a site to talk to others who have the same hobby as I do, only to find the same sorts of negative attitudes? Nah. If I wouldn't want others to judge me on what I do, I sure as hell won't judge others on what they do. These are real people who come from different backgrounds/lives. Everyone has a different goal/gets fun out of games in different ways. It's why the only question I'll ever ask is "Are you having fun?" If the answer is yes, then keep on keeping on, within reason of course. That's all that ever matters. Just don't make it the epicenter of your life to where it becomes an addiction.  

• Like 4

I enjoy them, for what they are! I quit Playstation for 4 years for X360 (friends) and missed a lot of 100% on games. That said, the Ratalaika games are quiet enjoyable. I've only purchased ones that were appealing to me and on some of them, beat all the levels :)

Zero zero zero zero is pretty cool

• Like 1

I've played Just Ignore Them and Red Bow, and I'll probably play My Big Sister eventually to complete the set. Just Ignore Them is the worst game I've 100% by far, and I have the platinum for the Monster High PS3 game made for literal children so that's saying something. Red Bow was much better but extremely short. Overall not too impressed or interested in future releases.