PS5 Hardware Specs Revealed

Aranea Highwind

22 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

As much as I would have liked it to happen, I figured that backwards compatibility for consoles older than the PS4 was always a pipedream. What gets me is that they couldn't even get full backwards compatibility with the PS4's library and it'll be limited to whatever Sony handpick themselves. I'm so disappointed.

So the PS5 is not fully backwards compatible with all PS4 games both disc and digital? I didn't hear anything about BC in the stream. Might have missed it. But if i'm forced to still have my PS4 to play PS4 games i'll be pissed off. One of the reasons i might stay with Playstation is my huge library off games. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

So the PS5 is not fully backwards compatible with all PS4 games both disc and digital? I didn't hear anything about BC in the stream. Might have missed it. But if i'm forced to still have my PS4 to play PS4 games i'll be pissed off. One of the reasons i might stay with Playstation is my huge library off games. 

The PS5 is fully backwards compatible with the PS4 games. The problem is getting the games to run smoothly on the PS5. People are taking the quote out of context. Cerny said they're currently doing testing with the top 100 games to get the kinks out of the process

Edited by majob
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Quink666 said:

Yeah, Mark Cerny mentioned it during the stream. This is a quote from the PlayStation Blog:

Lastly, we’re excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

So from the sounds of it, we'll have to keep our PS4's around if we want to have access to the whole PS4 library.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

So from the sounds of it, we'll have to keep our PS4's around if we want to have access to the whole PS4 library.

That's a bummer. Hopefully the prioritize all Ratalaika games first aswell as Albedo: Eyes from Outer Space.

But i guess it's safe to assume the BC games that will work on PS5 will work with both Disc and digital?

9 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

As a person who is so/so with tech and plays consoles, those specs don't mean much to me unless they're put in some sort of comparison. 

Also 885 GB for storage space? :/. 

That leaves about 600 or so for games because the rest will probably be occupied by the system's software what with the "stability improvement" updates. I understand that the loading speeds will be much faster given that it's an SSD but I would've expected the storage to be on par or more than the current consoles not less. Games are only getting bigger. 

Well, he mentioned a new and more efficient compression method.

He also mentioned, that because of the slow loading times of mechanical drives developers cloned some objects multiple hundred of times on the hard drive to prevent popup. This is not needed on PS5, because of the SSD.

So maybe PS5 games will not get much bigger or any bigger at all. :)

And dunno what other people are doing... I currently have 58 games installed on the 1TB stock drive. Do you really need your whole library at once?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

But i guess it's safe to assume the BC games that will work on PS5 will work with both Disc and digital?

I see no reason why it wouldn't work with both digital and physical copies. Just got to hope that Sony allows that specific game to run on the PS5 which probably isn't likely if it's something niche.

7 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

He also mentioned, that because of the slow loading times of mechanical drives developers cloned some objects multiple hundred of times on the hard drive to prevent popup. This is not needed on PS5, because of the SSD.

And dunno what other people are doing... I currently have 58 games installed on the 1TB stock drive. Do you really need your whole library at once?

Not to mention that it supports external drives so space really shouldn't be an issue unless you want to be cheap

I want speed and it looks like we are getting this. If we wanted power then we would have migrated to PC gaming awhile ago. Games will rule though and we all know who holds the strongest on that. More to come friends!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, qwerty407 said:

I never really worry about speed and power, I get the system with better games.

That's what i'm thinking of doing right now. Wait for the Pro version and see if the have figured out backwards compatability by then. Might only get a release model if God of War releases before the Pro model. Can't wait to play that game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

That's what i'm thinking of doing right now. Wait for the Pro version and see if the have figured out backwards compatability by then. Might only get a release model if God of War releases before the Pro model. Can't wait to play that game.

What if they remove the compatibility in the later models, like PS3 and PS3 slim? ?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Astray404 said:

What if they remove the compatibility in the later models, like PS3 and PS3 slim? ?

Compatibility was removed from those consoles due to cost issues. The PS5 was built from the ground up incorporating PS4 architecture so it's highly unlikely it would be removed unless they want to rebuild the console from scratch. Did you even pay attention to the conference?

Edited by majob
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Neputyunu said:

Thanks for the info. 

Not quite, but I do play a good amount of AAA games that range anywhere from 40-70 GB per game and I return to those from time to time. 

That plus I take a lot of screenshots and video captures because they're fun to share. 

Atm I'm doing fine and I have about 150 GB free from my 1 TB HDD but that's not to say I don't delete games when I'm done with them. I do, most games actually. 

I also download the games I've yet to play though so they can be ready. I'll probably have to change my habits in terms of that. 

Not too fussed about it as most likely with every generation, there'll be newer iterations with new features such as greater storage space. 

Edited by PooPooBlast
  • Like 1

I would hope there is a Pro model at launch with higher specs and more storage (maybe a 1650 GB drive?). An 825 GB will probably get wolfed down pretty fast with bigger games. One problem with releasing a Pro console as a "mid-gen refresh" is that some older games for that system may not really benefit so much from it.

Could that 825 GB drive really be a 1 TB drive with space set aside for the OS and a bit of over-provisioning to cut down on NAND Flash wear?