What currently is your white whale right now in gaming

6 hours ago, Santa_in_Sandals said:

My "white whale" is basically the time until I can play Silent Hill 2 on PS2 again sometime next week. Until then, I won't be playing anything. My goal is to keep the current games behind and focus on software that was released as a full product. I'm sick and fucking tired of bug-riddled generic garbage, ruined by microtransactions, season passes and other corporate trash.

To reach that goal I need to regain the mindset I had before trophies ruined games for me. Going back to PS2 is the first natural step. The next one would be the Nintendo Switch.

Yea back in the golden age when you buy a game it is just the game 

but then again I only go for the trophies of game I like 

i don’t play games just for the trophies 

Super Meat Boy will forever be the biggest gate between me and my 100% completion account. I flip-flop back and forth on regretting ever starting it and also realizing that every time I earn a trophy I'm pushing the limit of dedication required to do something that ridiculous. 

That and someday ACTUALLY going back and finishing Skyrim & Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness. Two very good games, it's just other stuff keeps catching my interest first. Ugh! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blood-Stalker1 said:

Yea back in the golden age when you buy a game it is just the game 

but then again I only go for the trophies of game I like 

i don’t play games just for the trophies 

This was back when developers still had a say in developing games.

AAA games nowadays are mostly controlled by the publishing companies who pressure the developers into releasing a game in a buggy state. I'm not saying this happens a great deal but it is definitely something I've noticed over the past several years.

Because of the limited internet in the early 2000s, PS2 games had to be complete. Now you're just buying an unfinished product.

The industry is less willing to take risks because that could mean a loss of profits. Money is all that matters to the publishing companies. That is why a lot of modern AAA games feel like they copy each other more than they're making something unique.

That is modern gaming in a nutshell. No creativity, no soul. @Santa_in_Sandals was right on point when he made that post.

• 9 months later...

I'm going to resurrect this thread. I think for now, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood on the PS3. It's going to be the last game on the legacy console that I'm going to make a serious effort towards boosting the online trophies.

The major problem with this is the fact you need SIX PEOPLE to properly boost the online. Some abilities need multiple players, you have to get a group going to set up stun boosting so you can reach level 50 in multiplayer.

Such a hassle. Too many people either don't show up, or they don't do what they're being told to do for said trophies.

12 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I'm going to resurrect this thread. I think for now, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood on the PS3. It's going to be the last game on the legacy console that I'm going to make a serious effort towards boosting the online trophies.

The major problem with this is the fact you need SIX PEOPLE to properly boost the online. Some abilities need multiple players, you have to get a group going to set up stun boosting so you can reach level 50 in multiplayer.

Such a hassle. Too many people either don't show up, or they don't do what they're being told to do for said trophies.

Oh, so you changed your mind. ACB is quite simple while coordinated. use Discord servers to find sessions and organize communication (this is a must) Binary Domain also needs 6 people to start a game and takes much longer/much worse. Good luck.

My "white whale" is 100% trophy completion for Zen Pinball 2 (PS3).  Which may well never happen, because I can't seem to find the inner motivation or whatever to play that as opposed to the pile of RPGs and the like sitting next to my PS4.

• Like 1

A year ago I would have said The King of Fighters XIII. I tried the combo challenges and just saw all the inputs on the screen and just backed out of sheer disgust at what it was asking for me to do with each character. I did go back and attempt it that same day and promptly told me self I will never do this to myself. A year later, I did just that and finished it all up thanks to the motivation to go through the backlog with the Ultra Rare Cleanup thread here on PSNP.

Also, I just finished up the Blackout trophies in Black Ops 4 yesterday and let me tell you this is the most opportunistic bullshit i've seen in any online multiplayer game. Ok, maybe not as much as Overwatch but the RNG in Blackout coupled with the insane skill level of all the players really made me dig deep to finish that up.

• Like 3

Dying light, I've been wanting to play it but just never got around to it, need to do it before the sequel is out and the online dies out. They kept releasing new versions so that was annoying too, I got the platinum edition assuming it's going to be the final release.

IDK if this counts, but Angry Birds Trilogy on Vita. I really, really want the platinum, but there just had to be a trophy that requires Near to unlock. I'm going for 98% completion, and I even beat the hardest level in the game (Seasons 20-7) with three stars, but it doesn't matter because of that stupid "Free as a Bird" trophy. I wouldn't have ever considered playing Angry Birds Trilogy on PS3 before, but now I'm going to because I really want an Angry Birds Trilogy platinum (I already did AB Star Wars a year ago).

BTW, Seasons level 20-7 was the worst thing ever. Because the devs messed up the level, it is almost impossible to get three stars. Less than 100 people have the trophy for 3-starring every Seasons level. I am now able to get that trophy because I got super lucky with level 20-7. That alone made the unobtainable platinum hurt even more.

And yes, I am crazy enough to go for 98% in that game knowing the platinum isn't doable because I liked Angry Birds when I was younger.

Edited by ElevExplorer64

The multiplayer trophies in Dreii, a game very few people even bought on PSN. To put it simply, in order for me to get a shot at the remaining trophies, I would have to make a trip to Europe, so as to be close enough to the only working global server in Zurich, Switzerland. 2 PS4s, 2 Vitas, and the iOS version should more than suffice for headcount requirement (3 players).

• Like 2

20 hours ago, EqualityEarth said:

The multiplayer trophies in Dreii, a game very few people even bought on PSN. To put it simply, in order for me to get a shot at the remaining trophies, I would have to make a trip to Europe, so as to be close enough to the only working global server in Zurich, Switzerland. 2 PS4s, 2 Vitas, and the iOS version should more than suffice for headcount requirement (3 players).

That sounds like the most epic trophy you could possibly earn, good luck with that!

Edited by ValenTris7
  • Like 2

stardew valley - fector's challenge without dying,

kinda wish it was quicker to retry i always have to wait until the bar opens 

only trophy i have left for it its been some years now xD

it just feels so out of place in a farm sim, like imagine if COD had a trophy where you had to farm some crops.

On 13-7-2020 at 2:59 AM, Baker121 said:

Ys Origin. 

I just need the boss rush trophy.

The good news is I already have the skill to beat it.

The bad news is this game has crashed every single time I attempted it. 

Which is over 20 times. I’m starting to lose hope here...

This post is from a while ago. In the meantime my White Wale is now.. 

O wait, it’s still Ys Origin.

Crashes 20 —> 50+
Honestly, I lost count..

The bad news is I lost the skill to beat it, because it’s been a long time since I played this.

The good news is I’m going for another attempt next week.

Edited by Baker121
  • Like 1