Will We Ever Stop trophy Hunting?

Gotakibono

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If I wasn’t hunting trophies, I’m not sure what I’d be doing.

I’d probably end up in a house full of stamps/comics/china dolls/coins/pogs/commemorative plates or some other useless chachkis.

Or I’d be on the top of Tesco with a gun, picking off stragglers.

Either way, as outlets for my madness go... Trophy Hunting isn’t the worst

Holy mother of.... POGS!! I have not thought about pogs in at least 25 years!!

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 9:29 PM, Shinjiitsu said:

As long as Sony continues supporting the trophy system. I will continue hunting trophies. 

I don't think I'll ever get tired of getting trophies. It's literally the best way to get your money's worth out of a game. The only downside is that it takes longer for you to complete it. Which causes you to start building a large backlog.

This is why I prioritize games (Franchise) with online trophies first. Because you will never know when the studio will decide to shut down the severs. 

Completely agree bud. I love getting the most out of each and every game I play, but damn if it isn't the quickest way to build a backlog! I've slowly been chipping away at the backlog over the past year, but I've hit a bit of a wall again recently with Dark Souls 2. ? At this rate I might not bother getting a PS5 for another two years - if it's even possible to get them then.

I honestly have some moments when I’d like to stop, I thought 100 plats would be my cutoff point and now I’m close to 150 (granted my 100 was right before corona hit so I’ve had a lot of free time). Only really started getting into it late 2014, after a period of travel when I earned no trophies at all. Before then I was just happy to complete a story mode and move on.

I’m not so far gone that I won’t try out a game that has a hard platinum, or a game that I might never finish. I have played a lot of junk from PS Plus just because it had an easy plat, which I’d like to curtail because the only value in that is bigger numbers. I do like the trophy timeline on this site because for me at least it tells a bit of a story.

I like the platinum system but sometimes I think simple achievements are better since you don’t feel as inclined to do everything and comparisons between lists are a lot more interesting, and probably have better data for the developers.

• Like 1

It's just a super cool hobby especially when you have a bunch of friends to play with in coop, working on some harder stuff as a team ( tackling zombie trophies on cod right now for example ). It somehow never bores me to get the trophies but I really need to back off 100% games in the near future. Most dlcs are just garbage, expensive and make the backlog grow bigger and bigger. I really try to stop this but I somehow can't haha :-D 

I guess as long as a console offers achievements I will always go for them ( playing Switch once in a while and it totally does not minnd me that there is no reward system). And I play video games since 1988 back to the Atari age so I probably will do this until the very end. 

I think it's important to keep the balance between gaming, hunting and real life stuff. I love to travel with my wife a lot that's probably the most important thing for me in my life, but gaming will always be extremely important as well since I love to play and hunting trophies is an inherent part of it.

It's been over a decade for me as well. True be told it is already few years by now that i don't care of trophy hunting anymore (sometimes i still also play old games that don't have trophies) tbh, i never been a trophy hunter, more of a completionist that buys (and complete) only games/series that i like. Once i have reached my 100th platinum (FFVIII Remastered) i plan to slow down even more. In the future i want to focus only on the few games/series that i really like always trying to 100% them if possible but, without struggle anymore. 

The only way to make people stop would be remove the trophy feature but seriously, would that be a wise move? Especially since trophies became a good source of profit for games devs considering certain people nowadays buy games according to their trophies lists.

Edited by DeathNyx

Think I'm in still death. Kids do slow you down though

2 hours ago, Gotakibono said:

Completely agree bud. I love getting the most out of each and every game I play, but damn if it isn't the quickest way to build a backlog! I've slowly been chipping away at the backlog over the past year, but I've hit a bit of a wall again recently with Dark Souls 2. 1f602.png At this rate I might not bother getting a PS5 for another two years - if it's even possible to get them then.

Yes backlog is making me think about holding off on ps5 when it's actually a choice

When I wonder about whether trophies will exist in future, I like to look at gaming more broadly. The fact that pretty much all platforms bar Switch (because of course, Nintendo) have some form of system, coupled with the fact that publishers seem to be adopting similar systems (Ubisoft is a prime example) makes me think that they will be around for a long long time and will likely even evolve beyond what they currently are. I also think there is a big appetite for trophy/achievement hunting in gamers nowadays and it shows in the communities that are massive in comparison to when trophies were first introduced, huge community sites like Playstation Access are a good example. They went from referencing them sparsely years ago to having full platinum streams most weeks.

I don't think i'll stop enjoying earning trophies for games I really like and want to squeeze as much out of as I can so I doubt i'll stop anytime soon. I actually think when i'm elderly i'll be saying cliche statements to younger people reminiscing about how simple trophies used to be, because I really believe trophy systems and the processes behind how we earn trophies are still in complete infancy.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 1

I'm more than a decade into trophy hunting, so I see no reason to stop at this point! Granted things will slow down a bit, especially once the baby arrives in October. But I plan on teaching her the ways of gaming, so hopefully trophies are still around by then! If not, it doesn't really matter anyway. We are a gaming household here and I don't see that ever stopping completely, trophies or not ?

• Like 1

Oowee here we go :P

Trophy hunting ruined at least a dozen of games for me, turned fun passionate experiences into cutthroat chores. playing games without wondering if you're checking all of the completion boxes really opens the game up. you don't know that you're on level 3 of 8. you play the game and listen to the story. you really feel the character growth while the narrative progresses. You listen to story beats and cues. You don't update your trophy list between every mission to make sure they popped and how much gameplay is left before you get another. walking into every corner for a f*ckin medallion disrupts the gameplay flow so much, and story takes a backseat to collecting and repeating efforts. not trophy hunting has allowed me to get back into Xbox (jfc GamePass is amazing) and Switch (yo there's this game called Breath of the Wild that has 0 trophies and playing it however I wanted to without worrying about doing all of the right sidequests before fighting the final boss was a breath of fresh air).

Playing games without trophy whoring has been wonderful. Skater XL ruined the entire hobby for me, and now I just trophy hunt games that I want to spend more time in, in order to see more of the world(s) the developers worked hard to create. If I love the atmosphere, gameplay, and art, I'll go for some trophies. And if I'm getting a little tired of the game after a trophy or two, I put it down to preserve my opinion of the game. Boom, done. Love of games restored. If I adore it unconditionally, I'll see it through to the plat for old times sake. But never if it feels like the game is being ruined for me.

I still like this site bc i still have a habit of seeing how many trophies a game has and what completion percentage it's on. That doesn't sway my choice of playing the game, but it's just nice to know from a statistical point of view. Gaming is fun again! And now I can explore other media forms without feeling like "I could be trophy hunting right now. could've gotten another plat but instead I just watched the snyder cut for the third time." All in all, you do you homies. But if you're like I was and thinking "man this is starting to suck a bit," take a step back and do what feels right

• Like 2

I don't trophy hunt as much as I used to, and that's not saying much since I've never been super hardcore into it. I will readily decide to drop plans to platinum a game if it starts getting boring, I screw up, or I realise it'll be too long and/or hard to achieve. I don't really care about my total competition percentage either, nor have I really platinumed many difficult games.

If Sony ever prevents us from syncing trophies on PS3 and Vita (or even PS4, with how big my backlog is and continues to grow, it'll likely take me another 10-15+ years) and I haven't finished my backlogs for them yet, I'm likely going to give up trophy hunting completely. That will just kill my interest stone dead, having these games with trophies I've earned but can never actually sync.

I'd still continue to 100% games I enjoy enough to, I've done so and continue to do so for trophy/achievement-less games.

Only when I stop gaming. 

I have been trying to 100% since the beginning, long time before some sort of trophy system came to be. The difference is that back then I would just do this to game that I REALLY liked, and now I do this to everything I play. If I haver get really short on time I will just play and plat games that I will really enjoy. Being a completionist is the way I enjoy gaming the most. 

I’ve been spending the last year addicted to VR, and I’ve narrowed down the final games I plan to play before new releases come out. I wanted to experience everything PSVR had to offer and there have been some bad, but mainly good games. 

Between that, and AAA games I’ve been neglecting multiplayer games I used to play a lot. So I’m ready for a break. I’ll never stop hunting but I definitely will slow down to a crawl once my list is caught up. 

I doubt it, I certainly slowed down comparing to my times of a teenager, and I don't really go after those very difficult platiniums anymore, however the indiscribable feeling of hearing the sound with a pop up of a platinium trophy is something very exilarating and fullfilling to this day.