Do games that have no trophy system (like Switch games) bother you?

poochluver

Recently I got hooked into Nintendo games thanks to Youtube but the fact that there is no trophy system just bugs me a little. The same goes for PS1 and PS2 games. I know this might sound stupid though. Have you ever thought this way?

Edited by IceXymphony
  • Like 1

It doesn't 'bother' me, per say but that is the one issue I have with the Switch.  I want one pretty badly, but I know that without the push to get the platinum, there are games that I just won't finish.  It's much easier for me to focus and devote my attention to a game if I have a plan laid out ahead of me like a trophy list.

• Like 3

Doesn't bother me, but ever since it finally clicked with me that trophies are both a roadmap to completing a game as well as a "carrot on the stick" reward for getting to the end, gaming has gotten a new excitement for me and I'm finally getting through things in the backlog. I don't see myself playing anything extensively outside of a Sony platform for at least the next 2-3 years given how new and interesting this all still is for me right now.

• Like 3

It really bothers me. I'm currently playing the PSP version of Persona 3. It's a great game (except for the god-awful Tartatus), but the lack of trophies does make me pick up the game less often.

Edited by yuber1234
  • Like 3

They do have trophies.

They might not attach to my profile, or appear on this site, on on the screen, or in the game or actually be visible or detectable anywhere outside of my brain...

but they’re there.

And I know whether I’ve popped them or not.

• Like 1

Sometimes yes

but if I played a game that I grew to like ( like FE3 houses, LOZBOW, and AC New horizon ) I won't care about trophies because I'm enjoying them enough

There is this game that I regret buying ( Tokyo mirage session ) it was so boring I couldn't complete it and I doubt that I will but if it had trophies I'll probably would 

9 minutes ago, RumRunnerIX said:

It's simply a sign of lazy programming.  

If you're referring to Nintendo, it's not a a sign of lazy programming. Nintendo is just highly traditional and fundamental in their console/game design and view on gaming. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pathtoninja said:

If you're referring to Nintendo, it's not a a sign of lazy programming. Nintendo is just highly traditional and fundamental in their console/game design and view on gaming. 

I think you're on to something 

I don't think it's because they're traditional, but because they don't want players to have a negative 'after taste' after completing their games. 

• Like 1

No, I quite like it actually, as then I don't have to bother with all the annoying side quests or opening all the chests and other various boring things trophies make you do. I can simply enjoy the story without worrying about missables and stuff. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TalalHmd said:

I don't think it's because they're traditional, but because they don't want players to have a negative 'after taste' after completing their games. 

If players have a negative after taste from completing a game with trophies or achievements, that's the fault of whoever was in charge of making the trophy list for making something like that.  Trophies themselves aren't the problem.  It's devs who don't have any idea what makes a good trophy list that are the problem.  Far too many devs use their trophy lists as a way to pad the amount of play time instead of using the trophies as a way to get players to discover things about the game they may have missed otherwise or challenge themselves to higher difficulties in the game.  A good trophy set can actually make the game even more enjoyable, but those are sadly quite rare because so many devs put in trophies for tasks that are boring when it would have been better to just leave the game with a few less trophies and a more reasonable list.

As far as it bothering me for games to not have trophies or achievements, it doesn't.  But I do find I'm less motivated to play such games.  My lack of interest in the Switch is more because I don't really care for any of Nintendo's first party titles and there aren't any third party exclusives to the Switch to entice me to bother with it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TalalHmd said:

I admit It's difficult to say, but this just my observations (in terms of Nintendo being traditional and fundamental in gaming) along with my experience of living in Japan for 12 years and knowing how they operate in their businesses.

Yes, Nintendo has some great innovations...but they are the  same company that refuses to fully embrace online gaming, social gaming, eSports, flash sales, etc. Along with their love for producing "limited" items such as Super Mario 3D All-Stars, these things can be frustrating...but I think it's also necessary to have them in the market to help balance out Sony/MS problems and give gamers more choices. 

• Like 1

Bother is a strong word for this. It only really bothers me in so far that I know the Switch doesn't have a formal achievement tracking system because Nintendo still thinks this whole internet fad thing runs on the same bunker of computer banks that was storing Zola's brain in the Marvel movies. Aside from that, if you're focused on achievement hunting, I can see someone skipping over games that don't feed into that. I've certainly decided to not bother with extra stuff in a couple Switch titles I was otherwise enjoying because it seemed like I could be spending my gaming time on more productive projects.

• Like 1

I think it’s unacceptable in this day and age that a console would not have an achievement system attached to it. Totally unacceptable. Trophies link the community together and allow players to track their skills and accomplishments in game and offer a point of comparison. They also allow for gamers to find common goals in a game that help them get the most out of a game. 

The only thing saving Nintendo for me is their awesome group games like Mario Party, where I can have a smoke and enjoy the game with others. But that’s about it. So I’d never buy the console just for that. 

People game on PlayStation, Switch, X-box, and Steam without ever caring about achievements. That’s fine. But they need to be there for those who do and Nintendo failed us because of it.

On 5/15/2021 at 10:50 AM, pathtoninja said:

I admit It's difficult to say, but this just my observations (in terms of Nintendo being traditional and fundamental in gaming) along with my experience of living in Japan for 12 years and knowing how they operate in their businesses.

I appreciate your opinion on Nintendo, but what were you doing in Japan for 12 years, because I'm just curious.

On 5/15/2021 at 10:50 AM, pathtoninja said:

Yes, Nintendo has some great innovations...but they are the  same company that refuses to fully embrace online gaming, social gaming, eSports, flash sales, etc. Along with their love for producing "limited" items such as Super Mario 3D All-Stars, these things can be frustrating...but I think it's also necessary to have them in the market to help balance out Sony/MS problems and give gamers more choices. 

The big problem I feel is Nintendo is stuck in a time warp. They still rely on flagship franchises that are several decades old at this point. The core fanbase they had all those years ago is all in their late 30s, late 40s, who have mostly moved on to other things such as starting a family and actually having a life. Now they're trying to appeal to the new generation of kids, who have no clue whatsoever what the old Nintendo was like because they weren't around back when Nintendo was dominating the console market.

Their first big mistake was sticking to cartridges during the Nintendo 64 era which forced Capcom, Square Enix and Konami to jump ship to PlayStation. Then they made a series of decisions during the Gamecube era that didn't sit well with people. The Wii came out, and admittedly I loved Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Wii Sports and Wario Wares. But Nintendo was already completely on its own. While the Wii did well in Japan it didn't receive all that greatly in the West. Sony and Microsoft had the competition, Nintendo was lagging behind at a distant third place. Wii U comes out and Nintendo drifts even further off course.

The Switch is nice for a few things, but Nintendo still mostly relies on their exclusives to make up for an underpowered console. I can't think of any reason to get a Switch other than to purchase a bunch of Mario games, the latest Smash Bros title, and to pick up the latest Legend of Zelda. Nintendo can still crank out a great Mario game or Zelda game, but you're mostly limited to a few good choices on the Switch.

Nintendo also shut down a lot of ROM websites, which was for ages the only way to obtain a lot of Nintendo games due to their priorities of keeping things "limited". Super Mario 3D All-Stars is basically reselling the old games that we grew up with and loved such as Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.

With no achievement support, no real online gaming, no fully integrated social media network and the lack of flash sales, Nintendo is doing a lot that doesn't sit well with me. I loved the old Nintendo games. I supported Nintendo for over 15 years, was a subscriber to Nintendo Power and played a lot of the latest Nintendo games leading up to the Wii. Their business decisions had me looking for other choices in gaming. I can't say I share the same love for Nintendo as I did all those years ago.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 2