Is this game still shit?

Hvalpen

i don't think it wont ever not be shit.

Though i suppose if you really like old school games and want a platformer... better yet,  if that was the reason you want Balan, you're better off going to play whatever Retro game it sort of reminds you of.

avoid this game

• Like 1

There’s a day one patch which apparently made things like movement speed a little more tolerable (and fixed an issue where a late-game boss could give people seizures). But the general consensus is that the game is still very reminiscent of the demo

If you’re on the fence, go watch a couple of YouTube critiques to get a feel for what’s pissing people off the most

(Then sign up for PS Now and play Sonic Adventure 2 instead…)

• 3 weeks later...

I think the design is very good, it reminds me of the Sonic games and the good old days with SEGA. If the guy with the hat had been the main character and you didn't have to keep changing outfits, I would even have bought it for the release.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, ThaRular said:

I am playing this Game right now cause i got the ps5 version on Amazon uk for 15 €.

Even that Money is too much for that crap Game. It is really really Bad even If you Love the 90 Jump & Runs.

Jump and run? Together? Oh, wouldn’t that have been a fun idea in this game!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 28/06/2021 at 1:40 AM, thepeaguy83 said:

With credit to Yuji Naka, at least tried to not be dependent on Sonic the Hedgehog. Also, he's not solely to blame for how the product turned out - it was a collaborative effort.

The gaming crowd has different tastes now. His offerings aren't palatable to their needs. They want Metroidvania indie clones, moar Souls and endless remakes and sequels. How it is.

All the best to his retirement. Thank you for the making the 90s a fun gaming experience for me, Naka.

Or, alternatively, the game is a mess with far more costumes than it needs, minigames that add little when they aren't actively detracting from the experience, and controls that are massively oversimplified.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alos88 said:

Or, alternatively, the game is a mess with far more costumes than it needs, minigames that add little when they aren't actively detracting from the experience, and controls that are massively oversimplified.

I can see how it is unappealing but remember , each costume is only relatable to the levels and if you want all statues , best wait until you get the Balon outfit :)

I personally enjoyed the game, I reviewed it here: https://www.gamepitt.co.uk/balan-wonderworld-ps5-review/

You have to remember, the target audience is a younger audience and those looking for a casual adventure game, not those looking for the next Mario, Sonic, Ratchet and Clank, or Spyro. The multiple characters with different abilities was a novel idea and concept, forcing you to return to previous levels in order to find and unlock things you couldn't get the first time around - adding to the replayability of the game. 

To me, Balan was a Japanese Lego game, unlocking new suits and swapping between them to complete their own tasks. Yeah, the controls are simple (as every button does one action per suit), but that was to push you into swapping suits and not just switching between two or three for the whole game. 

The game got a lot of hate before launch due to people not liking the demo - this led to people going into the game with a negative attitude and bashing it before giving it a chance. I didn't like the demo but I played the game through to the end (I think I played about 30 hours or so) before I wrote my review. I initially didn't like the game that much but I started to have fun and ended up really enjoying my time with it.

• Like 2

Not a fan of platformers at all, I literally just bought this because it a new game for £15 on the PS5. Considering some of the potential £70 new release  shitpitfalls , ahem godfall, that could have been made this seemed like a no brainier, nothing to lose.

as not a fan of platformers I found it tolerable (the amount of balans bouts can get very tiresome, it’s so repetitive by the latter levels) but otherwise it’s a really quick plat and quite pretty to look at. I personally liked the different costumes does different things aspect, it was an initial adjustment to sometimes have a character who couldn’t jump, felt weird, but respect the devs attempts at accessibility by only needing to be able to press one button to play.

that brings me to the best bit about balans wonderworld and that’s it’s ability to let two siblings of different ages play seamlessly together due to a clever co op system. Both can play separately but when the two characters touch they Can then be controlled by one player. This allows the older child to tackle the tougher parts and then split up again and both run about individually collecting gems and suits. Solo play, getting the balan outfit makes collecting statues a joke, it is ridiculously overpowered for the levels, you can just fly about and collect everything in minutes.

Ive never played the demo or even heard of Balan before getting this, so have no reference point. All I can say it was easy, it was cheap and it was quick.....sometimes that’s exactly what your looking for....

Edited by PotrikBerger
  • Like 2

Watching the youtube video included, so it's the 1st game for kids that is actually for kids, I mean I've played tons of 3d adventure titles and while they state that they are for kids I always find something there that is difficult, this Balan looks the epitome of simplicity.

Game's not bad, let alone horrible. Everyone stating here this game is bad, is on fucking crack. Come back when you played games like Mindjack, Life of Black Tiger, or Agony. Then we'll discuss the actual meaning of "bad".

Game's mediocre at best. Visuals definitely look very outdated. The entry threshold is low though, anyone can pick this up and start playing. The whole idea with the costumes is neat and everything, but I did start to lose interest after the fifth or sixth world. It's late here, so I can't be bothered to write a full review on my experience with the game, but I remember that I thought it was just "okay".

Glad to see some people here are actually able of providing an objective nuanced review instead of others who cling to the ridiculous black-and-white 0-or-10 Metacritic user mentality.