Why the PS5 has ruined me

xX-andoid-Xx

It wasn't the PS5 that taught me that lesson, it was a new SSD drive for my PC a couple of years ago. It went from taking 5 minutes to boot everything up to 10 seconds. After that, playing on the PS4 was kind of annoying, since the PC was loading up games incredibly fast. By the time I got a PS5, I was used to the quick loading times, the only ones that surprised me were games I didn't have on PC.

Graphics though, they never really mattered to me so I don't really notice.

33 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

More than anything else, the lack of Rest Mode is the biggest thing that holds me back from spending more time on the PS3. 

Knowing that every time you turn it on, you have to load the game up from scratch, wait through all the intro stuff, load your game,.... and knowing that when you finish, you need time to find save spots, close the game, manually synch trophies etc. -  and knowing I can't just fire it up for a quick blast, and nip away again at a moment's notice is really jarring now, after being spoiled by rest modes in the PS4 / PS5 / Vita.

Yeah no rest on PS3 can be annoying. I personally find it more annoying that I can't play with headphones on inside the controller headphone socket, a feature which I miss so much, after having that, and the headphone jack on the Vita. I had to buy an extension cable to my TV in order to headphone to my PS3, even then though the cable just gets in the way, somehow. Not being able to remote play on PS3 either is also annoying. Yeah I do find a lack of rest annoying, but no remote play and especially headphone socket I find myself hating more.

Oh and another one I just remembered. Pressing XMB in the middle of a game and sometimes losing control for up to a minute at a time, I just want to cancel but nope, have to wait for the trophy list to start appearing before I can click cancel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

I grew up with 3-6 minute loading times on cassette tapes on my Amstrad CPC464. And there wasn't even any guarantee that the game would work after waiting all that time.

After that, I can put up with most loading times no matter how long lol

Unless it's Resident Evil Revelations 2 on the Vita...

Now that is pretty old lol.

I still remember cleaning PS1 & PS2 discs worrying whether it would work or not, it was a nervous wait, good times.

• Like 2

Just now, enaysoft said:

Yeah no rest on PS3 can be annoying. I personally find it more annoying that I can't play with headphones on inside the controller headphone socket, a feature which I miss so much, after having that, and the headphone jack on the Vita. I had to buy an extension cable to my TV in order to headphone to my PS3, even then though the cable just gets in the way, somehow. Not being able to remote play on PS3 either is also annoying. Yeah I do find a lack of rest annoying, but no remote play and especially headphone socket I find myself hating more.

Oh and another one I just remembered. Pressing XMB in the middle of a game and sometimes losing control for up to a minute at a time, I just want to cancel but nope, have to wait for the trophy list to start appearing before I can click cancel.

All good points - it's funny to think how many of the convenience and quality of life improvements have actually compounded across the consoles generations - it's only when you go back and have to do without them, that you realise how much they've streamlined the whole experience! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

This fucking angers me...

A reminder that Playstation didn't want to fix what they did wrong with the Vita due to the climate being not so good due to free games on mobile phones... 

Like we all know why the Vita really didn't do so well.. 

Would have been nice to have a PS Vita 2 release with the PS5.. if you couldn't get a PS5 then you could have picked up a V2. And just play that until PS5 units were readily available. 

Sorry for rambling. 

I have to agree to one of the replies above me. Newer generations probably got spoiled by the PS5. Lol us old heads don't mind loading times, our thought is "as long as the load times aren't like the PS1 load times.." and it's a nice break to go do something else real quick. 

This is my personal opinion but the Vita only failed because lack of support not to mention the gimmick of the touchscreen and the overly price of the stupid memory cards that have corruption issues, there are plenty of games on there that are way more fun to play on than even the PlayStation 4 versions of them.

I still love my Vita that's the reason why I have it just wish they would come out with a Vita2 or better yet PSP2. ?

3 hours ago, enaysoft said:

I don't find loading times that much of an issue these days since for perhaps 5 years or more, I always have a laptop nearby to look at while stuff loads, not to mention I might just look at my phone for a second and stuff has loaded by the time I look at the TV screen again.

This is usually me with loading screens. Since I've had my PS5 I haven't played a game on PS4. I have played them all on my PS5. I still have a habit of picking up my phone or looking at my laptop even with a PS5 game and it is loaded in so fast I realize I didn't have time.

My biggest issue was when PS4 came out and using the Dualshock 4 I had a very hard time going back to PS3 because the Dualshock 4 and now the Dualsense fells so much better in my big hands. Graphic wise it don't bother me. I have played some of the PS2 to PS4 releases and had just as much fun playing them as some of the newer games out.

The first thing I did when I received the PS5 was getting rid of my PS4, not that I can't stand loading times, but everytime you launched a game, it sounded like a fighter jet taking off.. The amount of noise the PS4 makes is insane. The PS5 is incredibly fast and super silent. But I am still spending a lot of time with my Phat PS3 regardless. Playing PS3 games feels almost.. nostalgic. And with the DualSense 5 it isn't all that bad. (except for the loading times and the horrible excuse for a PS Store)

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The real "ruination" for me wasn't in the PS4/PS5 transition... it was in the PS3/PS4 one....

....with Rest Mode.

More than anything else, the lack of Rest Mode is the biggest thing that holds me back from spending more time on the PS3.

rest mode on PS4/5 is garbage compared to quick resume (over multiple titles) on Series S/X tho 

this is actually something I wish Sony would implement asap 

7 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

rest mode on PS4/5 is garbage compared to quick resume (over multiple titles) on Series S/X tho 

this is actually something I wish Sony would implement asap 

I've only got one pair of hands and one set of eyes, so.... :dunno:

Interesting take. When I get a PS5 one day, I hope that the fast load times don't ruin other platforms for me.

I got a PS3 the end of last year and a lot of the loading times (namely downloading and outright installing) are painful compared to even the PS4. I don't play the PS3 that much, but I probably won't play it at all (or barely at all) once I get a PS5.

The SSD on the PS5 is a beautiful thing...games loading in seconds is definitely something you never want to be without again, but I understand what I'm getting myself into when I'm playing on an older machine. And while I enjoy looking at pretty graphics as much as the next person, graphics don't mean much to me in the long term. I still play PS1 and N64 games from time to time...and I just got me a Switch the other day...the very first thing I played? Original Mario. 

I'd say if I've been spoiled by anything...it's modern controls. And that's more something that came around with Gen 7 rather than Gen 9. Going back to PS1 or PS2 games really is a war of trying to retrain my brain that :triangle: is the cancel things instead of :circle:. Or now with the Switch...this is the first Nintendo console I've really played heavily since the N64...I forgot that Nintendo is backwards as hell (they go Y, X, B, A), so it's a fight there too to remember to press A when my brain knows thats where Circle should be. 

6 hours ago, enaysoft said:

I always have a laptop nearby to look at while stuff loads

2 hours ago, enaysoft said:

I personally find it more annoying that I can't play with headphones on inside the controller headphone socket, a feature which I miss so much, after having that, and the headphone jack on the Vita.

Because my PCs (work and personal) are in the same area for my consoles, I discovered a solution for this. 

I'm able to have wireless audio with my PS3 and use Discord for communication. This is perfect for PS3/Switch. I used this method for Armored Core: Verdict Day (rest in peace) and to voice chat with my friends while we were playing Monster Hunter: Rise. 

Hopefully this option is available to you. 

I honestly think we've been spoiled a lot with modern technology. Growing up we had a local video rental store, it wasn't a Blockbuster but it might as well been one. There were times as a kid when the cartridge on the Sega Genesis wouldn't work because whoever had it last didn't take care of the thing. Later in life when I was working my first job in the mid 2000s we had another video rental store that had Xbox and PS2 games. Some PS2 games wouldn't work because the disc was too scratched up. This was before Sony started going with Blu-Ray at the start of the PS3 generation.

You basically had to have a lot more patience back then, not just in gaming but in every day life. The very idea of live streaming our favorite content and video games back when I was 10 - 12 years old in the late 1990s was a pipe dream. Now it is a reality.

It irks me to see young people on social media complain about the PS5 games, Xbox Series X titles or Steam games when they have no idea how we had to handle old game cartridges or even DVD players. Far more loading times, and I imagine for older people on this website, sometimes the VHS or cassette player would bug out. There's a lot of stuff I don't miss from those days, but I still feel to a degree we've been spoiled.

16 hours ago, Alayaes said:

I'm the opposite, in a way.

For the last few years, I find every new game release (apart from some outliers, of course) instantly boring and repetitive. I look forward more to remasters or just revisiting older games lately. When I see a game reveal, it's either an open-world game with lots of objectives or a "punishing souls-like adventure". I'm still refreshing the internet every day to find a Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster console announcement.

I can only take so many open-world games with crafting systems, stealth mechanics, and round minimaps. This is nostalgia talking, but I really do think the 90s was the epitome of gaming. That initial step into 3D came with so much innovation and experimentation. I miss that.

Sort of ironic that modern systems are exponentially more powerful than the PS1 or PS2. The creativity and originality just isn't there, at least with modern AAA games.

I basically have to hunt to find that gem. It's the same thing with television, movies and music. On the surface, there is an overwhelming amount of garbage. The utter crap that makes the Top 40 lists in music nowadays makes me sick.

14 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Getting a PS5 hasn't really changed much for me. I still get excited going back to PS3 and Vita games. A lot of them are way better than the modern stuff.

I feel the same way. Definitely more originality when it came to AAA titles.

• Like 1

Games with a strong art direction from legacy platforms will endure.

13 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I honestly think we've been spoiled a lot with modern technology.

Also, modern technology has challenged our wisdom to respond to it. One instance is Instagram's algorithm to manipulating teenagers into depression for emotional dependency on the app.

Can’t say that I have the same feeling. I’d rather be on my PS3 than PS5 nowadays. From the amazing catalog of games to the satisfying trophy pop sound, it’s great. Who cares about loading times being a little faster, it’s all about the games you’re playing. 

• Like 1

I really dont like the ps5 tbh. Since I got my ps5 ive used my ps3 more. My ps4 is still my main console and my ps5 is currently just collecting dust, it only really gets used when I need to auto-pop a list, or if im self boosting a trophy.

for me, it wasn't the PS5 that did this, but Sony first party games, the quality of all departments, graphics, gameplay and storylines , being high across all departments in Sony games, has ruined a lot of 3rd party multiplatform games for me

I'm not saying that Sony games like Tsushima or Horizon are perfect, not at all, but even with the flaws that they have, they are vastly above the regular Ubisoft, EA, Activision games, the quality bar is just higher in Sony games than the rest

and that's not to say that ALL 3rd party games are inferior, there are some that rise to that level of quality of Sony games, but even those, are in most cases games that were developed for a PS4/PS5 as lead platform, so they might as well be 1st party too

if a game is developed primarily for PC, then ported to PS4/PS5, that game is most likely unplayable to me, because they'll not bother optimizing it, or redesigning the UI/controls for a controller vs M&KB

• Like 1

Definitely had an impact on me as it's a rather big leap from 2-4 mins down to just a couple seconds even for massive games so I spend less time waiting and more time  actually playing which is something I never knew I needed until first experiencing it. 

Gameplay over graphics forsure but I think you'd be lying to yourself if you said it didn't matter whatsoever especially with how damn good they can look without gameplay being sacrificed. Horizon forbidden west, Demon souls and Ratchet rift apart all great examples of that while Strangers paradise is one I definitely would of enjoyed more if it didn't make my fucking eyes bleed even though it had good gameplay. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk

Yesterday was the first day I tried GTA V, and I was like... "huh, this really is a PS3 game"

But jokes aside, I'm still playing my PS3, and yeah, out of necessity. 27-30 FPS with 1 minute loading times is a joke. I'm really okay with shitty graphics and sub-par fidelity, but as I grow older, I appreciate every precious extra second I can get. Input lag causes mistakes, mistakes cause more reloads. Just... ugh.

(Also let's not forget that the PS3/PS4 was really not the norm. PS2 had multiple games with 60 FPS and fast loading times. It was the obsession with pushing fidelity that caused both consoles to be a slog.)

Edited by fbdbh

8 minutes ago, fbdbh said:

(Also let's not forget that the PS3/PS4 was really not the norm. PS2 had multiple games with 60 FPS and fast loading times. It was the obsession with pushing fidelity that caused both consoles to be a slog.)

Yup, to this day I always find it weird that Metal Gear Solid 1, 3 and 4 are at 30fps but you'd think after Metal Gear Solid 2 where the game was high res and 60fps that the next generation had arrived! Most PS3 and PS4 games are 30fps. If that.