Sony increased PS5 price (Live now)

Sailar91

2 hours ago, Ninjise said:

It has been almost 2 years and I still can't find PS5 on physical stores, scalpers everywhere, not many interesting PS5 games to play and now this.

This generation has been something else for Sony, I might just buy a Switch with how much Sony  has been screwing up this gen, it's as if they are messing up on purpose to see how far they can get away with it.

I was out to lunch the other day and there was a GameStop next door.  I haven't been in a GameStop since before the pandemic.  Anyway, they had a shipment of 25 PS5's the day before and were down to two available.  I was talking to the employee for 5-10 minutes and in that time two other customers came in and bought the last two.  

My point is, it's now a day or two before they are selling out of PS5 stock so if you really want one, you can get one fairly easy if you tried, and you don't have to resort to scalping.  I got mine in February 2021 and I had to follow the PS5 Twitter restock link to have any chance at getting one.  I checked Ebay this week and most scalpers are down under $700 so you know stock availability is improving.  

Even with the 12% price hike in several countries, I just don't think it's going to deter most people that still have a desire to pick up the system.  I'm sure it will for some but my guess is, the holiday season will continue to be super busy. 

BTW, this GameStop advised that they continuously have Xbox Series X/S in stock and rarely run out of those anymore.  It's been like that since the spring for this location.  Not crapping on Xbox, but the demand for these consoles are different.

Edited by Paperclip1776
grammar update

I considered a lot of the Sony "controversies" as pretty much nothing and faux knee-jerk outrage, but this is on another level. My guess is they'll back down from this same as pretty much everything else. Many, myself included, gave them a pass for the $70 games because of the the generally accepted high quality of Sony first-party though that was of curse not without backlash, somehow I doubt the goodwill will weather this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

I always laugh when I hear ppl say there's no reason to buy a PS5 my launch PS4 works just fine

Until it gets more exclusives I'm interested in that's going to be my logic as I don't care about having a PS5 just to use as a glorified PS4 pro, if my PS4 died tomorrow then yeah I would immediately buy one but for now I can handle the worse performance/load times

• Like 1

For me PS5 is worth it just for the load times on PS4 games It's so much better in that instance but other than that nobody is missing out as most of the games are on PS4, so there is not much point in owning one unless you want faster loading times and your console not sounding like it's going into space lol.

Edited by TheRetroManiac

yeah ps5 is worth it regardless of whether the games are or not. I've played a few ps5 games and i did enjoy them, nothing even close to previous generations, but i always knew the ps5 would be a stepping stone to creating a console capable of pushing high frame rates on the next unreal engine. 

but the PS5 UX is second to none. nearly every action you used to wait for on a pro is instant. 

3 hours ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

I always laugh when I hear ppl say there's no reason to buy a PS5 my launch PS4 works just fine

Personally my launch PS4 still works, saying it "works fine" though would be a step too far.

Despite the increase, PS5's will have no problem still selling out. It does seem kind of weird to punish customers who couldn't get a console before. at the very least maybe throw in a free copy of a game like Miles Morales or something.

2 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

I considered a lot of the Sony "controversies" as pretty much nothing and faux knee-jerk outrage, but this is on another level. My guess is they'll back down from this same as pretty much everything else. Many, myself included, gave them a pass for the $70 games because of the the generally accepted high quality of Sony first-party though that was of curse not without backlash, somehow I doubt the goodwill will weather this.

I don't really think they're going to walk this back, the reasons given seem pretty valid with that the price change being reliant on other factors that are beyond Sony's control like currency inflation.

The odd thing is, japan's price change takes place in September while everyone else had it change today. Every article also says it's around 10-12% which really isn't a lot considering how much they were scalped and selling for. The price change matches some of the higher end sales tax in the US.

People keep saying that this is greed or arrogance, but if it was that they would have raised the price to $700 USD or something along the higher end of what these systems were selling for on ebay. A 20-50 dollar price hike doesn't really line up with unrestrained greed.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

33 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

*snip*

I actually agree, and like I said earlier it matters little to me since I already have one. But I somehow doubt the general public will take all of that into account, certainly not those who are online a lot and have every YouTuber from YongYea to ReviewTechUSA telling them to constantly be mad about these things. I’m not on social media anymore but I’d imagine it’s a complete shitshow across the platforms right now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Its_Almost_Dry said:

Inflation... *groan*

Reveal hidden contents

772.jpg

Spoiler because politics.

I don't know.. have you considered there are 194 countries in the world apart from the US, a war in Ukraine that is limiting exportations of products that are sustantial for life, a record massive heat wave caused by decades of ignoring global warming, which is increasing the lack of food created by the war. The world does not revolve around them.

• Like 4

This seems to break everything down, the price of just doing business has risen so they've had to further adjust so their plan of making a profit on hardware continues. The digital PS5 was sold at a loss while the disc version was sold at a profit. The price had to be raised so that aspect would not change or else both versions would be sold at a loss.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, D-E-U-S-X said:

Was to be expected.

Console sales have mostly been a loss for the vendors and the cost of manufacture now seems very high. A 10% surcharge is acceptable.

Microsoft won't do anything like that because they have always subsidized consoles, games, developer studios and the Game Pass with their infinite cash reserves.

but... they managed to make a profit after just 10 million sold, like you said, Microsoft doesn't care, but I don't see why they're raising prices on an already profitable console, like, they get more software sales. Whatever they're going to do they want and consumers can make their decisions.

20 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

I've never been less interested in a console, even more so now. As of now it has 0 games i wanna play that aren't on PS4. 

Horizon: For- I mean, God of Wa-, oh wait, both of those are on PS4 and they're stuck on HDD as a result. Sony is literally giving Microsoft the lead this generation, I guess it just has to go back and forth after every generation due to greed... sigh

8 minutes ago, OmegaRejectz said:

but... they managed to make a profit after just 10 million sold, like you said, Microsoft doesn't care, but I don't see why they're raising prices on an already profitable console, like, they get more software sales. Whatever they're going to do they want and consumers can make their decisions.

Horizon: For- I mean, God of Wa-, oh wait, both of those are on PS4 and they're stuck on HDD as a result. Sony is literally giving Microsoft the lead this generation, I guess it just has to go back and forth after every generation due to greed... sigh

Weren't the GOW and Horizon ports done as a kind of late stage thing because they made the decision to do so because of how manufacturing and supply chain issues were at the time? Didn't the PS5 versions of HFW sell more on newer hardware than old already?

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

30 minutes ago, Carol said:

No one here said that playing on the PS5 is the same as playing on the vanilla PS4. What we said is that, for now, the PS4 does all the basic things that we need and that we are satisfied with that, so no need to spend 800€, especially considering that lots of people here work or study and can only play in their free time.

But I am sure both of you understood perfectly well what we meant. Like always, people like to use the Internet to play dumb and troll. ;)

No need to play dumb, neither putting pressure to make people buy ps5, it's what I got from the comments and just stating how many ps4 titles benefits from ps5 device.

Maybe you guys will get an even stronger system in the near future, meanwhile continue enjoying your ps4.

38 minutes ago, OmegaRejectz said:

Not entirely accurate. I haven't seen any recent reports about the digital console, but disc was the only one selling at a profit by a little over a year ago, but then the last figure I glimpsed was that they were selling 40:1 compared to digital.

• Like 1

If I managed to hold out until now (I had plenty of opportunities to get a PS5, including the initial launch orders), I can manage to hold out for 2-3 years to whittle down my PS4 backlog, and for the inevitable revision.  Price rises always suck, no matter the reason.  At least Nintendo did it in a way that they packaged it as you getting something in addition to the higher price, which makes it easier to swallow.

19 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Not sure why people are acting shocked and outraged. Pretty much everything is increasing in price right now. PS5 production has been negatively impacted by both the pandemic (which is still going on by the way) and Russia invading Ukraine.

It's not nice news to hear, but what do you expect? Was this really a surprise to some people? News outlets have been blasting out stuff left right and centre about incoming economic issues for months now.

I don't think people are shocked, I think people have already been through enough the last few years.

With Sony it's difficult to read, Are they trying to dig an early grave for this product? Or are they too stubborn? Do we have a pro model around the corner?. It's been 2.5 years already, It's kind of nice I guess but at this stage we have Astro's Game Room and,,,,,,,,,,,, Ahhh Ratchet and Clank?

7 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

I actually agree, and like I said earlier it matters little to me since I already have one. But I somehow doubt the general public will take all of that into account, certainly not those who are online a lot and have every YouTuber from YongYea to ReviewTechUSA telling them to constantly be mad about these things. I’m not on social media anymore but I’d imagine it’s a complete shitshow across the platforms right now.

YongYea survives on drama. He's like a flag. He'll blow in whatever direction is currently good for his brand of fake outrage. The same guy who was gushing over CP2077 to no end and then made a video basically admitting that he was fanboying over it and should've done more to speak out about the issues it had and then proceeded to further trash the game at every opportunity, because again, it was the popular thing at the time. ReviewTech is the epitome of a neckbeard. A blatant fanboy who stokes the console war flames for clicks. I think you're putting too much stock into guys like them. I don't think they have the influence to sway people like that. Maybe a very small number of people who buy into the nonsense they're trying to push, but not the average person. Social media is and always will be a mess when it comes to gaming and a lot of that comes down to the state of modern gaming "journalism". There's nothing you can do about it unfortunately. I've learned to curate my social media and simply block any BS that happens to find its way onto my feeds.

I can't see Sony walking this back, because like I've already mentioned, it's already been proven that people will pay more (often a lot more than just an extra €50) to secure a PS5. I don't think there will be enough backlash for them to reconsider, although I could be wrong, but this is obviously something they feel is necessary to do with how things are at the moment so i reckon they'll be far more stubborn this time around. 

Edited by The Alchemist
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Kcrack_Km said:

Never thought buying a console at launch would end up being the cheaper option. ?

I'm starting to seriously consider building a gaming PC these days..

Would highly recommend trying it. Nothing is more enjoyable than building something with your own hands.

If you have any kids, get them in on the build too, makes their day and they won't forget that memory. Worth more than anything a worthless ps5 can offer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

I don't think people are shocked, I think people have already been through enough the last few years.

With Sony it's difficult to read, Are they trying to dig an early grave for this product? Or are they too stubborn? Do we have a pro model around the corner?. It's been 2.5 years already, It's kind of nice I guess but at this stage we have Astro's Game Room and,,,,,,,,,,,, Ahhh Ratchet and Clank?

The mindset is that demand is strong enough that the price adjustment won't put a dent in sales since it's still pretty much sold out everywhere. I'd say those analysts are overestimating demand but that's just me. Microsoft is going to have a field day if they aren't already because the series S is now $250 cheaper instead of just $200 cheaper

10 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Weren't the GOW and Horizon ports done as a kind of late stage thing because they made the decision to do so because of how manufacturing and supply chain issues were at the time? Didn't the PS5 versions of HFW sell more on newer hardware than old already?

Surely they had to alter it to some degree God of War is a semi-open world, open-hub-like, and for things like using portals, it wouldn't matter as much. But having to have it completely play on last-gen hardware (aka HDD) means they have to continue using those single-body-wide cliff edges that Kratos squeezes through to load in the next area, whereas if it was solely SSD then they could do that only if they envisioned it from a creative standpoint rather than a technical limitation.

9 hours ago, Apollo said:

Not entirely accurate. I haven't seen any recent reports about the digital console, but disc was the only one selling at a profit by a little over a year ago, but then the last figure I glimpsed was that they were selling 40:1 compared to digital.

My bad, yeah they have been selling digital at a loss.

Although, it is relevant that digital console completely negates physical sales and is 100% restricted to PlayStation Store, aka mercy of its sales, so Sony completely eradicated lending games/selling games/buying pre-owned

Edited by OmegaRejectz