Leaderboard for profiles under 50% average rarity

Value of 100% Games and Ultra Rare platinums  

149 members have voted

1. 1. How many points should 100% games be worth?

2. 2. How many additional points should Ultra Rare platinums be worth?

1 hour ago, KindaSabbath said:

I think personally (from an outsiders POV): The core of any leaderboard should be integrity, which in my opinion, comes down to NOT being easily manipulated through playing obscure “games” purely for stats.

What kind of games do you mean? If a game is obscure then that says nothing about either quality or difficulty. If it is rare because it is hard, then you probably need to adjust your definition of "easily manipulated". I honestly do not think people can just as easily spam UR platinums and 100%'s as 2 minute platinum stacks. If there are hoards of games like that I would like a list please.

Having said that, I personally do not like the score I added last. Mainly because it only takes into account UR platinums, but there are other problems too.

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

So, if I understand correctly, essentially what you've come up with there is the formula for a leaderboard where if two players both have exactly the same 50 UR plats, but the first one also platted The Walking Dead, or Life is Strange (for example), the second one would rank higher?

Or, to put it another way... you've managed to come up with a Leaderboard, where hiding a completed, non-rare game would actually move someone up, rather than down?

Show us your own scoring method Doctor. As mentioned, I am willing to add anything people would like to see the actual results of.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

Show us your own scoring method Doctor. As mentioned, I will add anything people would like to see the actual results of.

I had no issue with the OPs method - I said so early on.

It disincentives playing the super-barren "non-games" (Platty Bird / Coffee Run type stuff) - or at least, not gorging on them.... but isn't too prescriptive about anything else.

What it certainly doesn't do, is engineer a situation where a person could actually rank lower than someone with the exact same games, as soon as they earn a single additional common trophy... which is what was suggested in the post I responded to. 

Seemed to me like the original intention of this thread was simply to create a moderately competitive LB, that solved the genuine problem of the onslaught of non-games... but now, the discussion seems to be heading towards a much more extremist style board, where people are actually disincentivized from playing a mix of games.

For all the problems the "official" Leaderboard has - the worst than can be said about it is that it actively incentivises playing the super common, very fast "non-game" stuff and disincentivizes playing other games, as the player will not move up very fast...

...but the suggestion I responded to is actually worse: it not only incentivises playing rare games - it actively punishes people for playing less rare stuff, as it will actively move them down.

I don't see how anyone can realistically argue that a Leaderboard formula makes sense, if it creates a situation where two players have exactly the same trophies, then one player plays Life is Strange, and the other player plays Nothing...

...and the first player moves down.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KindaSabbath said:

I think personally (from an outsiders POV): The core of any leaderboard should be integrity, which in my opinion, comes down to NOT being easily manipulated through playing obscure “games” purely for stats.

The main leaderboard is fucked because people spam the shit but easy games and I fear that this leaderboard will become fucked by people spamming the shit but rare games. In both instances people are punished by playing the games they enjoy, whether it’s time spent playing an actual video game on the main leaderboard, resulting in time lost spamming easy trophies - or whether it’s average rarity going up through playing genuinely good games that are not ultra rare on this one. 

ANY leaderboard that favours people AVOIDING games they want to play in order to climb the ranks, is in my personal opinion, the same problem that has lead us here in the first place. 

Rarity is very much subjective. I have genuine rare games on my profile that only a handful of people have beaten here. One of the hardest trophies that I have done has only a rarity rating of above 10% which means it's only Rare and not Very Rare or Ultra Rare. The game also came out years ago and still to this day less than 50 people have beaten it.

25 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

I honestly do not think people can just as easily spam UR platinums and 100%'s as 2 minute platinum stacks. If there are hoards of games like that I would like a list please!

Poor wording on my part. That said, there are many games that fall into Ultra Rare territory that are not particularly hard games and not particularly good games either. My point is: a leaderboard that would punish playing good games in any way is not a healthy leaderboard. It could potentially discourage participants from playing certain games because of the impact playing them would have on their ranking. 

Having a cut off point (50% avg rarity) makes total sense as it protects the leaderboard from trophy spammers, but when it becomes more complex and the focus shifts towards lower avg rarity = higher ranking - it becomes a dick swinging contest where people can just cherry pick what they play to maintain / gain LB position. 

You could end up with people playing games like Spyro on an alt account to avoid the avg rarity increase in order to remain competitive ?

Edited by KindaSabbath
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

Did I miss the part where this stopped being an opt-in leaderboard for a bit of fun and started being some sort of semi-official leaderboard where the metrics need to be hotly debated?

Exactly this.

There are a gazillion hotly debated topics about rarity already. The purpose of this topic is in the first post. All I did was make sure a script would do the scoring for @PS-Leaderboard, with some other stuff thrown in for anyone who likes to see stats like that.

So two things:

• I will keep checking this topic for people who would like to be added but will not respond to any other discussions at all.
  • Contact me by PM if you have some more ideas about scores and calculations that you would like to see as well.
Edited by pinkrobot_pb

Sounds cool! Appreciate the time/effort you will be putting in!

PSN ID: HedleyNEUK

I have:

105 Total Platinums

20 UR Platinums

Average Rarity is 35.69%

As a fairly committed completionist i would be keen to see how 100% completions (either Plat + DLC, or those just 100% games)

• Like 1

Interesting idea! Please add me.

PSN ID: servus99

Platinums: 932

UR Platinums: 184 (?)

UR Trophies: 1784

Average Rarity: 40,65%

Personally I think Ultra Rare Trophies themselves do not tell you anything, since a lot of players just boost ancient online games for those kind of trophies and thus the concept of Ultra Rare is nonsense. 

But the "below 50% average rarity" part is a good thing, since every "normal" profile should have this naturally, but all the short-game-dudes don't ;) 

• Like 3

On 9/7/2022 at 4:48 AM, KindaSabbath said:

The main leaderboard is fucked because people spam the shit but easy games and I fear that this leaderboard will become fucked by people spamming the shit but rare games. In both instances people are punished by playing the games they enjoy, whether it’s time spent playing an actual video game on the main leaderboard, resulting in time lost spamming easy trophies - or whether it’s average rarity going up through playing genuinely good games that are not ultra rare on this one. 

ANY leaderboard that favours people AVOIDING games they want to play in order to climb the ranks, is in my personal opinion, the same problem that has lead us here in the first place. 

This isn't really an equivalent exchange IMO. I don't know what your determination for a "bad" rare game is but no matter how strict your parameters, the reality is there's 1) x1000 less of them than super easy peasy games which means there's a finite amount. There's not a factory of studios producing a bunch of <5% ultra rare games with a specific formula. Hell, even if there WAS those games rarity would quickly rise OUTSIDE of being ultra rare due to the # of people who would hunt those games out. 

I say this as someone who has a ton of sports games URs that are easily as hell and have no business being that rare aside from the fact most sports gamers don't care about trophies. 

Any leaderboard formula will have a meta to "game" it. That is of course why I propose the greatest idea yet

ASSEMBLE A PSNProfiles TROPHY LEADERBOARD COUNCIL. Make it 20 power users. I nominate @Copanele to represent the fighting game division. Make 'em sign a pledge of honesty swearing on a copy of PaRappa the Rapper. They will personally rank everyone on the forum who wants in on it and I can say with absolute certainty this will do away with all drama regarding leaderboards. (this is totally sincere)

• Like 1

I would like to join as well. 

PSN ID: zmastruz

Platinums: 200

UR Platinums: 50

UR Trophies: 350

Average Rarity: 38.07%

The idea about the Leaderbored is nice. ?

For me it's OK when somebody Plats easy games but not 100 of them ?‍♂️

I mean if you get frustrated and some games takes forever, it's OK to plat 1 maybe 2 easy games. 

• Like 2

I don't qualify, but it's a fun idea, thanks!

The only way to make everyone happy would be to provide individually customizable leaderboards with options to toggle various triggers (e.g. no stacks, no trophies above X%, etc.). Until then... Fun! Say I, as my ranking plummets day by day...

• Like 2

I'd like to join aswell but idk where to find that average rarity.

Aside of that my PSN is same as my froum name.

Numer of plats: 184

Ultra rare plats: 44

Ultra Rare Trophies in total: 372

Edit: My average rarity is: 34.93%

Edited by Tosmasta00
  • Like 2