Trophy Spam Issue

MMDE

3 hours ago, diskdocx said:

If you want to buy 100 asset flip games to equal one normal game, eventually that would seem likely to lose it's charm.

I just spent 10 days going for one trophy in Hunter call of the wild.  It's 0.76% rarity.  In that time some of the top guys has gotten well over 100 platinums.  It's what they do everyday I don't think that alone is enough to make it stop.  The guy who had the 100 platinums in the time it has taken me to almost finish my trophy didn't even play but a couple hours a day.   I put in 6 to 8 hour evenings. If that person wanted to double up they could easily get 200 platinums in that time frame,  100 asset flips to equal on rare  probably isn't enough.  they take on average about 3 minutes to compete.  Oh and by the way the game I'm playing that was just one bronze trophy in one dlc.  The game has over 100 trophies including another one that will probably take a week.  If you only delvalue the point awarded for shovelware it's likely to make them play more of it not less, which relates to more games from the developers.

Edited by steel6burgh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, steel6burgh said:

I just spent 10 days going for one trophy in Hunter call of the wild.  It's 0.76% rarity.  In that time some of the top guys has gotten well over 100 platinums.  It's what they do everyday I don't think that alone is enough to make it stop.  The guy who had the 100 platinums in the time it has taken me to almost finish my trophy didn't even play but a couple hours a day.   I put in 6 to 8 hour evenings. If that person wanted to double up they could easily get 200 platinums in that time frame,  100 asset flips to equal on rare  probably isn't enough.  they take on average about 3 minutes to compete.  Oh and by the way the game I'm playing that was just one bronze trophy in one dlc.  The game has over 100 trophies including another one that will probably take a week.  If you only delvalue the point awarded for shovelware it's likely to make them play more of it not less, which relates to more games from the developers.

I understand what you are saying, but there is a limit to the sheer number of games that are shovelware. It may seem infinite, but it isn't. To use your example, you spent 2 weeks earning 1 trophy, and someone else banged out 100 shovelware plats - if those were worth the same amount of points, then that definitely has an effect. It negates significantly the shovelware value, and it rewards you for your effort.

It isn't perfect - and it isn't intended to be.

But the above example is obviously the extreme. Most gamers aren't spending 2 weeks routinely on one UR trophy. And most aren't shoveling shit non-stop. For the average gamer, who is somewhere in between the extremes, this significant improves their overall position relative to the spam.

Again, a solution that probably doesn't make anyone entirely happy.

I've already pointed out some of the challenges with the psn100 approach, and I fundamentally don't agree with eliminating all stacks or valuing some games at zero. I have come around to the idea though, that there may be a solution to significantly temper the current imbalance towards absolute spam

Edited by diskdocx

So cool to see the trophy list page clean again. Many people like me use it to know whether a new game has released or not. The games used to be a few days in there until dissapearing.

Until yesterday it was a matter of the Jumping CEO deciding to release a new game and removing everything from the front page, this is a good change.

Edited by Jeanoltt
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, SakiSakiSakiSakiSaki said:

Great change. Glad to see our bickering finally paid off.  

@DEI2EK Any chance this “shovelware flag” can be used for an adjusted leaderboards or toggle games on a user’s profile?

That’s not something GIT can do, that would have to come from the big man himself

17 minutes ago, DEI2EK said:

If you want any sort of update on how bad the shovelware problem is

Games tab

shovelware off 331 pages

shovelware on 364 pages

It's insane that these trash games amount to ~10% of total games in a few years, as trophies have existed for over 14 years in total. 

Pure comedy when people keep repeating that there are not that many of these "games", while they are overtaking real games in numbers.

Another brilliant argument we keep hearing from the developers and people buying this trash is that people should be able to play whatever they want, and therefore we shouldn't change the leaderboard. 

As if people are prevented from playing this trash just because it's filtered out from the leaderboard. 

Let's see how many of you keep wasting your time on hundreds of these stacks when your points are not counted.

The numbers shouldn't change because you keep arguing that the games are fun, so that should be enough motivation to keep playing them, right? 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, janzor88 said:

It's insane that these trash games amount to ~10% of total games in a few years, as trophies have existed for over 14 years in total. 

Pure comedy when people keep repeating that there are not that many of these "games", while they are overtaking real games in numbers.

Another brilliant argument we keep hearing from the developers and people buying this trash is that people should be able to play whatever they want, and therefore we shouldn't change the leaderboard. 

As if people are prevented from playing this trash just because it's filtered out from the leaderboard. 

Let's see how many of you keep wasting your time on hundreds of these stacks when your points are not counted.

The numbers shouldn't change because you keep arguing that the games are fun, so that should be enough motivation to keep playing them, right? 

Not even a few years,

I would guess 95% the things we call shovelware is litterally the jumping, animal letter shit,  that started happening only at the end of 2021.

So in 1 year, they added 10% alone of all games released in 14 years. Its crazy if you put it in numbers.