PSNP 2023 Year End Awards

Piece of cake

L610156.png

Can't really recommend this one. Was just a filler.

It's like Dark Souls

L230565.png

Not excessively hard, but it's got some annoying spots when not using the exploit.

Bad Ass

L8da7d6.png

Was somewhat challenging for the first half of the game, and then it eventually becomes a slaughterfest.

Grind of the year

L91e22e.png

Just felt like a pointless slog at some point.

Finally Done

L58ed2d.png

1 month, 1 week, 3 days

Best soundtrack

L66544a.png

It was great back in the 90s and still is to this day.

Sleeper hit of the year

L230565.png

Thought it was going to be mediocre, and turned out to be one of the best games I played this year.

Biggest bomb

L5003de.png

Not a bad game, but it just didn't turn out as good as I had hoped.

Best plat

L230565.png

Fairly straightforward with just a few collectibles and no excessive grindy nonsense.

Worst plat

L9fe413.png

Buggy pile of garbage that was not enjoyable to go through at all, even if it's a fairly easy plat.

Most anticipated plat of 2023

Ldb5afe.pngLedd4a4.png

Le9e2c9.pngL333539.png

Lc88767.png

Not sure what else I'll decide to play throughout the next year, but those five are at the top of the list currently.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 4

Piece of Cake: Gun Crazy. Ratalaika game, bought it cheao in a sale and got the platinum in a bit more than 10 minutes.

It`s like Dark Souls: The DioField Chronicles. Not the main game but the free DLC. An enormous jump in difficulty compared to the main game (especially the last mission).

Bad Ass: Not really a bad ass moment, but I finally got over 50% completion, which felt really good.

Grind of the Year: Accel World vs. Sword Art Online: Millenium Twilight. Over 120 hours playtime and only 30-40 hours of that was story. The rest was grinding for different things like titles, levels, blacksmith materials and money. Which means, fighting a 1 min. boss fight for a big chunk of the 80-90 hours grinding time.

Finally Done: Accel World vs. Sword Art Online: Millenium Twilight - again. 5 years and seven months.

King of the Internet: I used a free PSplus weekend to finally get the online trophies in Rogue Trooper: Redux and get the platinum that way (got all the other trophies in that game 2018/19) and some random player joined my game to make a horde defense mode trophy much easier for me.

Worst Online Experience: I don`t play online (except on free PSplus weekends to mop up a few online trophies).

Best Music: Signalis. I hear tracks like Die Toteninsel (Emptiness) even today to relax or at work.

Sleeper Hit: Succubus. The game gets a lot of hate for being from the same developers as Agony and a censorship similar to JAVs, but in my opininion the game is a fun and fast paced first person hack `n slash that is unapologetically edgy.

Biggest Bomb: Voice of Cards: The Forsaken Maiden. Not a bad game but no comparsion to the first one (The Isle Dragon Roars).

Best Trophy Image: Capcom Fighting Collection. Every trophy image is a piece out of the artwork gallery of the game.

1Lc20267.png

Worst Trophy Image: Front Mission 1st. I can`t really explain why, but something about the colors in the trophy images for this game is visually unpleasant to me.

1Lfbdf8d.png

Best Female Character: Elster from Signalis The shit, she goes through to find her co pilot and to remember a promise (can`t write more due to spoilers).

Best Male Character: Beyond the Grave from Gungrave G.O.R.E. A 2m. undead, clad in leather, with a cowboy hat, 2 pistols with unlimited ammo and a coffin full of different explosives originally designed by Yasuhiro Nightow of Trigun fame. Not the most characterly deep protagonist I played at this year, but definitely the coolest.

Best Plat of the Year: Ender Lilies . Quietus of the Knights. Metroidvania with beautiful artstyle and soundtrack. The story was good and the map had a lot of secrets to discover. The platinum itself was challenging at times but in a motivational and not in a soul crushing sense.

Worst Plat of the Year: Handball 16. I felt physically ill playing this game.

Most Anticipated Plat of 2024: Suikoden 1 and 2 Remaster. I really hope the collection gets a release date soon.

• Like 4

Piece of Cake - Alan Wake 2. Other than the collectibles and the backtracking, straightforward and easy.

Dark Souls Award - Demon's Soul Remake. I didn't play as many hard games as usual in 2023, but I finally took the plunge into the remake on PS5. 

Bad-Ass Award - Final Fantasy 16's kaiju fights. You can tell all the budget went into those.

Grind of the Year - Lost Judgment and DLC, your typical RGG grindfest but we know what we're getting into. Did it for PS4 and PS5.

Finally Done -  Demons Souls Remake. Had to get this one out of my backlog. Happy I did. 

King of Internet - Battlefield 1 Since BF is dying, I just went back to this 2016 masterpiece. 2000+ hours logged after 100%.  Shoutout to Need For Speed Unbound. 

Worst Online Experience - Battlefield 2042 The Hazard Zone trophies are simply the stupidest thing ever.

Best Music - Final Fantasy 16. Can't go wrong with those epic orchestral songs.

Sleeper Hit - Chorus. This game slipt my radar but it's a blast to play, if you love space ship sims with story driven aspects. 

Biggest Bomb - Gotham Knights WB ditched free flow combat for button mashing and live service objectives.

Best Trophy Image - Tunic. Simple Link Fox does it for me. 

Worst Trophy Image - Hogwarts Legacy Platinum. Lazy designCould've been a bronze trophy image and we wouldn't know. 

Female Character -  Saga Anderson, Alan Wake 2. To be honest, I wasn't too hot on AW 2 but the characters are great. 

Male Character - Alex Casey, from Alan Wake 2. It's just OG Max Payne. RIP, James McCaffrey. 

Best plat - Spider Man 2. Can't go wrong with Insomniac platinums. Just fun. 

Worst plat - Gotham Knights. I picked my battles this year. This live service game drags the Arkham Legacy into the mud.

Most Anticipated - FF VII REBIRTH Don't care about the difficulty. Just inject it in eyeballs. 

Happy holidays and a 2024 to all the community. 

Edited by ARIXANDRE
  • Like 4

Piece of Cake Is Lie Comrade Shlaputnik: Flipy, that wonderful sub-one minute opus of complete unoriginality that I chose simply ecause because the trophy icon was wintry, and playing disposable trash at Christmas is what Jesus would have wanted... not all this gold, Frankenstein, and GRRRR hooplah. Insert joke about one handed gameplay and premature ejaculation here.

It's Like Dark Souls but Filled with Talking Animals, Giant Keys, and a Level of Writing Quality Roughly Commensurate to that of a Preadolescent Fragile X Baby: Kingdom Hearts III Re:Mind, being its predictably stressful yet doable self, but this time with a language barrier (which made sussing out abilities a veritable hell) and those weird ass Eastern button changes. Hours upon hours of losing and being frustrated by how close they came to replicating the fair and evergreen controlled chaos of KH2. And all just on Beginner difficulty. Even being more tactical about where to drop a Code or two didn't really shift the odds in my favour. With both lists done, I don't see myself ever doing Pro Code challenges ever again.

There Is No Such Thing as a Bad Ass, and I'm Not Even an Ass Person, I'd Probably Rank It #9 on My  List of Most Desirable Bodily Assets, Maybe #8 at a Push: Ghost of Tsushima is up there with the best of interactive televisual power fantasies. Whether sneak-stabbing your way through a Mongorian camp, slaughtering mooks in Rage Mode before they can even finish wetting themselves, or challenging enemies to a snickery-snackety standoff, you are never anything less than One Whose Ass Be Bad.

I was actually expecting this to go to God of War Ragnarök and good ol' Dados and his usual feats of godlike strength but it rather pleasantly turned out to be a more of a cerebral and pacifistic Ragnarök than expected. That, and I have to dock him some points for decidedly non-badass acts in the OG games. Boy, am I glad I began with the Norse saga... I don't know if I could buy into his attempt at redemption otherwise.

Video Game Busywork: The Leading Cause of Teeth Grinding - Yeah, so, Hogwarts Legacy, though I did love it dearly, definitely went overboard with the collectionating, and with inconsistent tracking ability too. The actual magic-fueled gallivanting itself was fun, but repetitive unskippable animations really slowed it down to a chore enjoyable chiefly in brief bursts, and barely passable PS4 optimization did not help either. Hardly the worst I've ever had... I even went the extra mile and completed the whole Collection, and the optional puzzle caves too. But if a choice must be made it's easy.

Mischief Managed: After almost three years of heavy duty bidage, I finally decided to call time on Assassin's Creed Valhalla after the final update was announced. I am currently embroiled in a massive tug of war with my muse over the best way to express my wide range of conflicting emotions. Watch this space. Or, uhh, that is to say, the Most Recent Platinum space. Suffice to say, I am glad to be Finally Done, though it didn't have to be that way.

(This is the part where I condemn and castigate any Positively Pathetic Pedants who would point out that Mischief is technically not Managed, as I still have the [thankfully largely autopoppy] PS5 stack to contend with, whenever that happens. Boo, and indeed, hiss!)

Internet Stannis: Though not an internet gamer guy by any means, I had to reach out to complete Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy... and hey, it was a decently fun time mucking about like in days of yore, even if only for the purely pragmatic purposes of popping a digital achievement doohickey. 

Internet Sociopathic Dragon Usurper Whose Inevitable Genocide Anyone With Two Brain Cells Should Have Seen Coming, and We Should All Be Glad She's Dead: So I spent like ten minutes popping the trophy for the tutorial for the online mode of God of War... Ascension, I think? Yep. Left no impression, good or bad. Popped the trophy, GTFOGOW'd. But given I've played, what, four games with online capability this year, it's a ISDUWIGAWTBCSHSCAWSABGSD winner by default.

I Think Maybe It's Muuuuuusic... Ja, It's Offenbach! You Stay Offa My Bach and I'll Stay Offa Yo--Okay, I'll Spare You the Spiel, You Humourless Boterhamburger: WILD CARD BITCHES! In a very contrived bid to shoehorn in a mention of my true Game of the Year, notably not a game with trophies or indeed a Sony game at all, the winner is Super Mario Odyssey... an instantly classic bit of business whose stylistic elements embody past, present, and future simultaneously and with ease. And hey, anything that might expose the young ones to musical realms beyond the invariably self-obsessed lack-of-accountability fuck-the-haters pap regurgitated by Generic Manufactured Pop Girl with the Expressive Range of Expired Jackalope Cheese #1,748 always gets some bonus points from me.

SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE!: Haha, you total dweebazoid, you didn't check the card pack thoroughly enough... it's ANOTHER WILD CARD BITCHES! Well, Odyssey surpassed even my lofty expectations by being one of, uhh, the most consistently fun and surprising games, like, fucking ever? Like, seriously? Evoking a feeling as close to time travel as we humans are liable to achieve as ling as Big Oil keeps those patents gathering dust in a vault somewhere. That's something pretty special, right there.

I'd like also to give a little shout-out to Super Mario Bros. Wonder for applying this very same approach to an old and worn formula (ironically creating the first Mario game to actually feel "New" in what, fifteen years?) with jaw-dropping levels of success, and never once betraying its roots. If only they could have gone that way with other series that are now soulless husks of what was. Oh well. Find the good things in life and hold fast to them... it's what the guy who used to live in our trash can used to say.

The Jay Sherman Award for Achievements in Stinkiness: So Outcast: Second Contact was a clunky hunk of chungus fungus that will cure your nostalgia sickness. Further details may be found elsewhere... but if into my post history you go, only pain will you find.

LOOKS LIKE SHIT: Hey, look, man... being a dyed-in-the-wool (I'm not even a sheep) Beacon o' Positivity, I am above leveling criticism at someone's earnest attempt at making art no matter their skill level. I do hereby announce my abstention from engaging in this loathsome and despicable practice. We, as a race, should strive for better.

...Uhh, coincidentally, I don't feel like wasting time sifting through my log and potentially reopening wounds in my soul caused by exposure to acrimonious aesthetic abominations. It's funny how life works out like that sometimes, huh?

LOOKS LIKE A GOOD: 

1L34b0d3.png

Living Legend (Ghost of Tsushima)

See, I can make a non-committal generic paragraph  that says nothing about anything too, if I really try! But you gotta know... sometimes words fail.

Superlative X-chromosomal Character: Oh you goshdoggedly pulchritudinous womenfolk never do fail to leave a guy spoiled for choice, now do ya? Whelp, a largely benevolent spirit such as I know always when to spread the love around... so this one goes out to a whole bunch of special ladies in my life such as Freya, Thrúd, Angrboda, Yuna (not that one... for once!), Lady Masako, Princess Daisy (be she elephantine or otherwise), Beffica Winklesnoot, Paula Polestar, Fon, Mavis Dracula, and of course, that slightly deranged but infinitely charming pancake afficionado, Samantha Boole! I love you all in ways as diverse and multifaceted as your hundredfold characterical complexities... and stuff.

Superlative Y-chromosomal Character: Atreus. Just... Atreus. I couldn't be more proud of him even were he my own son. In a world full of non-Atreuses (Atrei?), be an Atreus. Or at the very least, I don't know, Clarence Odbody or something.

Platinum of the Year: Yep, hate to sound like a broken record here, but Ghost of Tsushima really just plain is all that and more. A beautifully crafted list that sees you doing a bit of everything, and at a very measured pace. Rarely do you see a trophy's grade so perfectly reflect the effort you put into getting it... a bit of a lost art. And, as previously hinted at, the trophy art aesthetic is museum-worthy. The kind of Hunt that reaffirms a man's belief in the practice. What more can one ask for?

Shitinum of the Year: Again, I don't want a reputation for being Mr. Negative, so I won't dwell on it... but I would suggest you stay away from titles such as Crash Dummy, Outcast, and Goosebumps: Dead of Night... oh, apropos to nothing, you know how it is.

When You're Driving Through the Moonlight on a Highway, When You're Driving Through the Moonlight to a Dance, You're Breathless with a Wild Anticipation for Games and Trophies and Stuff Like That There: As my Reasonably Attainable Big Ass Dream for 2K24 is a PlayStationeth Fiveth, I'm looking forward to some exclusives such as AstroBoy's Playroom, Ratchet & Clank: Holy Lombax Boners, and Spidering Man 2: Arthropodic Boogaloo... hopefully they'll have the James Earl Jones/Tony Todd/Fatz Geronimo/Literally Anybody Else voice replacement pack for Moral Miles ready by that time. I'm also looking forward to replaying those metallic games about solid gears... anyway, it's looking like a really gear year ahead, and I wish you some of the best! May the Hunt never to you be a cun-SKELETON WARRIORS!!!

• Like 4