Next Gen Consoles Release 2026?

Aynshel

If that is true, it would be dumb af. The PS5 has barely had many titles even made for it with the majority still being limited by PS4 ports. I think 2028 would be the earliest that we would see next-gen (and no the Switch 2 isn't next-gen it'll be worse than the current gen).

• Like 3

6 year gap is small, but not unprecedented. PS1 to PS2 was closer to 5 years, for example. I don't think PS5 to PS6 is going to be similar, though (COVID delays, economic conditions, etc, etc). I don't see XBOX doing that either, no matter what the rumours are saying.

12 minutes ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

I think this gen may last longer than the previous. Covid really hurt this gens start.

Wouldn't mind that at all tbh. Like many previously said there is still a lot of untapped potential to utilize the PS5 to its max capabilities and we need more exclusives.

Didn't the Insomniac leaks have Sony execs mention that they expect the next PlayStation in 2028? The issue now is that it feels like console generations can last much longer than they ever have before (10 years at least), so saying something like 2026 just makes me feel like I haven't done anything with my PS5 yet to feel like it's time to make the upgrade. 

Edited by Viper

Just now, willmill97 said:

Can the thread title be changed? Very misleading @DaivRules

I was giving the OP the opportunity to expand on their topic to provide some background or clarity first, but doesn’t seem like they are going to and that’s just going to make this thread ramble all over the place…

• Like 1

Playstation: 95-2000

Came out on Sep 9, 1995 on a Saturday

PS2: 2000-06

Came out on Oct 26, 2000 on a Thursday

PS3: 06-13

Came out on Nov 17, 2006 on a Friday

PS4: 13-20

Came out on Nov 15, 2013 on a Friday

The PS6 is probably going to come out on November 12 or the 19, 2027 on a Friday. 

Xbox is trying to go all digital, so they can push their GamePass and they need an edge. So they're probably going to release the next Xbox before PlayStation, but I highly doubt PlayStation is going to prematurely release the PS6

spacer.png

Edit: I also believe PS6 is still going to have a removable disc drive. Due to the recent uproar about digital content being taken away from users. So they would want to appeal to Playstation fans by saying you can still get the games, from second hand stores even after they're delisted and taken away from your digital library. 

Edited by The_Mighty_Ducks

2 hours ago, kanzenchaos said:

Most of the big releases are still made with PS4 in mind and then enhanced for the PS5 lol

No way they plan to kill the PS5 before it even gets a chance to shine.

I think it's going to be like the PS3.. PS3's lifespan was 11 years. So they're going to move forward and release the PS6, but keep making games for the PS5 until like 2030 or 2031. 

BUT.. if the PS6 is backwards compatible.. I would say less years on the lifespan.. 

• Like 1

There is nothing stopping them from releasing a new console whenever they want so 2026 isn't totally out of the question. After all, we all buy $1,000 phones every year, right???

But I would hope that the PS6 arrives in late '27 or, ideally, '28. 

There hasn't been hardly anything for an actual PS5 yet. Like, less than ten games? Certainly less than that that I've purchased. 

I thought that by now my trophy list would be all PS5 games but nope.

7 hours ago, fenrir54565 said:

it seems to be from a rumor being put around by xbox fanboys that Microsoft is going to put out the next xbox in 2025 or 2026 to beat sony and win the next gen. I don't think that its true though. 

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/rumor-leaker-kepler-thinks-the-next-xbox-is-coming-sooner-than-2028.1664724/

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-xbox-pro-in-2026-brad-sams-speculation-video.1664819/

but that isn't even next gen, its a pro edition of current gen

Sony will likely to a PS5+ / Pro as well

If PS6 and the next Xbox come out in 2026, then the companies need to keep making a lot of the older systems as an entry point.

Yes, PS2 was replaced in 6 years (the PS1 was replaced under 6), but those consoles were still widely available as cheap alternatives when they got replaced.

It would be anti-consumer (and potentially a bad business move) to make PS5 and Xbox Series harder to find as early as late 2026. Keep in mind PS5 didn't have ample availability until late 2022, and I think the Series X was similar. 

Xbox could probably get a new system in 2026, PS6 should wait until 2027 or 2028.

So basically

Xbox 5 - 2026 or 2027

PS6 - 2027 or 2028

Keep in mind quite a few games take a long time to develop (3-7 years). We're not in the 2000s or before anymore. 

2 minutes ago, ChiefMichigan said:

It would be anti-consumer (and potentially a bad business move) to make PS5 and Xbox Series harder to find as early as late 2026.

Sony was still making new PS4s into 2022. Sony stopped making PS3's in 2017. Sony is well aware of how having consoles at multiple price points, especially lower price points with a huge library of games available, opens entry points for new gamers.

Even if in 34 months (November 2026 isn't really that close to now), Sony releases a PS6, the PS5 will continue to have life for 3-4+ years after that. 

Next gen consoles release every 6 - 7 years, and since the PS5 released over 3 years ago in 2020 it's not entirely out of the question for it to come out at the end of 2026 to be honest (that's still practically 3 more years from now), but will more likely be 2027 or 2028 release date since they've been so slow to move away from PS4 support

Edited by BlindMango

It feels like most titles are still being released for last gen. Seems more likely that we'll still be getting PS4 games in 2026 instead of a next gen console. Unless Sony puts their foot down.

Honestly I have my doubts games will even look that much better on the next generation of consoles, we'll just have better performance. 

8 hours ago, fenrir54565 said:

it seems to be from a rumor being put around by xbox fanboys that Microsoft is going to put out the next xbox in 2025 or 2026 to beat sony and win the next gen. I don't think that its true though. 

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/rumor-leaker-kepler-thinks-the-next-xbox-is-coming-sooner-than-2028.1664724/

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-xbox-pro-in-2026-brad-sams-speculation-video.1664819/

it is a roomba, so will it vaccum your floor while you game?