Curious about the thoughts of people here for (hypothetical) 'Do It Again' trophy lists

SimmondsR

Bit of a random one.

But I found that after completing Cyberpunk 2077 and obtaining the Platinum, I was left kinda hollow because there just was nothing else to do in the game (obviously I can still poke around and chill-play) but the game itself has been completed and there's nothing more for me to do. 

Which got me thinking about the hypothetical.

What if Game Devs released a Patch that creates a new Stack of the exact same trophies just for the User to do again (potentially infinite amount of times). No auto-unlock or loading a 100% save to unlock progression trophies. You download this Patch and it's basically the game installed fresh with the same set of Trophies you have to earn again.

I personally would love this.

(Basically, because I miss Cyberpunk 😅)

I would love to redo the trophies for:

- Bioshock (I would probably do this yearly)

- Cyberpunk 2077

- YS VIII

Before I get a bunch of comments:

- Yes, I realise I can replay a game and just not earn trophies.

- This isn't a topic to get too deep into. Like I'm aware people would abuse the (hypothetical) scenario to infinite complete Ratalaika Games. This is purely a hypothetical scenario not an entryway to complain about 'Easy Trophy' games and the ruination of Trophies.

- Yeah there is playing the PS4 version and then the PS5 version. But I'd wanna play the PS5 version of Cyberpunk 2077 twice rather than dropping to the PS4 version for example.

Edited by SimmondsR
  • Like 2

I had this thought before. Where you could basically "prestige" a platinum and earn it as many times as you want. Like as soon as you unlock the platinum another trophy list is just available to you if you want to earn those. Optional for people who really like a game. Makes more sense than hunting down different region stacks to me.

• Like 4

Earning them on another account just isn't as fun right? Why else would people get stacks of the same game on the same account? Because you want to add to your platinum count. We could all make other profiles to earn platinums on again but the fun is in seeing your number go up lol monkey brain stuff. There a few games that I love, that I would genuinely be proud to show off that I'd platinumed it like 4-5 times lol FFX would be one. I play that game every year pretty much on PS2 emulators.

Edited by den-69
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, den-69 said:

Because you want to add to your platinum count.

The opening post doesn't want to increase their platinum count with their repeat playing. They want to earn the same platinum over again.

• Like 2

The biggest issue I see, and the one that the OP doesn't want turned into a full blown discussion here, is that it opens a door to abuse the trophy system. I could see maybe a nominal fee, or a limit to how often you could in a certain time frame maybe helping curb abusing it to some degree.

I plan on replaying some of my very favorite games some day, even if it's a inferior version (ps3/ps4) and get their Plats again!

Doing different region stacks would just not be the same.

As for the described method, it would not appeal to me personally, since it's not adding to my Trophy/Plat count. Maybe if it makes the same trophies be worth more points for PSN Lvl...

Edited by Bratinov

Solid inputs all around.

I should have clarified that I would prefer to have the hypothetical re-platinum on my main account rather than a new one. I have so much progress on my Main account that adding data to a new account would just seem redundant. But people do be right when that is a legitimate way to go re-earn the Platinum if I so desired.

On 4/24/2024 at 2:32 PM, Paleblood said:

While not a bad idea, I imagine that this feature is way too niche to ever see the light of day.

I mean, you can always earn the trophies again if you really want to. Just make a new account. Might even be the trophy hunter dream 100% account 🫣

For sure. There's no way this would ever become a feature that Sony or Devs would introduce. Working in games myself, it would be too much of a hassle in the Submission process alone. And Sony don't really seem all that interested in doing...well anything with trophies tbh, I guess we got Stars 🤷‍♂️

On 4/24/2024 at 7:23 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

I think it's kind of a cool idea in theory - though personally, I think the best implementation would be giving platinums a "prestige level" - so with any game you could "blank" all the trophies and reset, but if you earn them all again, then the platinum has a little "prestige" mark next to it, with the number of times you've done it.

All hypothetical of course, but I bet sites like this one could do some interesting stuff with a system like that - it would allow special events, where everyone blanks a specific game, and has races to reach the next prestige, or let speed-runners re-try for better scores, and I can imagine things like "highest prestige platinum" or "first prestige platinum" being milestones etc.

HUGE fan of this idea. If Sony were ever gonna do it (which they almost certainly won't) I'd be fully behind this idea. Would mean you couldn't abuse the easy games for infinite trophies. On the 0.00001% chance you see this Sony....Prestige Platinum is where it's at, really do love that idea.

• Like 1

Some games have different regional versions, maybe you can look up if the game you want to replay has another one, and you can plat it again.

If not, I can already imagine Ikemenzi playing Jumping Taco again for the 500th time in the week lol

Completing a game again with the same tasks that were already finished should not lead to more trophies in my mind, even though we can technically do that already with other region stacks. I like the idea of the platinum "leveling" with further unlocks more, changing shape or color, giving you a select few games that you can put front and center on your profile as games you truly mastered or just really loved playing way longer than most people, but honestly this would just turn into mindless grinding that could potentially even diminish the experience.

For this to be any worthwhile, the requirements of certain trophies would have to increase in a somewhat meaningful way instead of just "you killed 1000 enemies for this gold trophy, now do it 9 more times", so this means manual effort from developers for individual trophies as platinums lack their own requirements, making it obvious that this was never intended. It could also be done with certain bonus achievements that only have the purpose of making your platinum look different, but same problem here, more effort for the devs with next to nothing to gain. Expecting more effort from the same developers that hardly give a crap about trophies already, to the point that many can't be bothered to fix broken trophies, and generally half ass their games for release entirely, is really just a hopeless pipe dream.

Also I kinda feel that despite this idea or similar ideas being fun in a way, the mentality is all wrong. Trophies should not be mandatory to enjoy a game, you should not NEED that occasional trophy popping to keep playing a game you enjoy, yet that is exactly what would be encouraged with something like this.

I'm pretty sure the second time would have to be a slightly to largely different list. 

I'm going to re-play Spider-Man 2 one day, and the only new trophy I'll get is the DLC New Game Plus completion trophy. It's a game I would replay regardless of trophies.

In the days before auto pop and platform stacks, I feel your idea would be more practical. While few games are autopop. platform stacks are the norm now. 

It makes me wonder how this would affect the price of EZPZ shovelware and non-shovelware EZPZ games. If you could get inifinite stacks, I'm sure there would be less asset flips, but the releases would be more expensive. It's not the focus at hand, but I wanted to briefly mention it.

I have bden through this many times so I usually just go to my alt-accounts and platinum there. Sadly, the series I really love don't get stacks. 

Death Stranding (5 times), Mass Effect trilogy on PS3 (5 times), Battlefield 1 (2 times), Wolfenstein 2 (3 times).

Edited by ARIXANDRE

While I feel a bit icky using CoD parlance, I've also occasionally daydreamed about there being some manner of "prestige" system for trophiesprobably since the mid PS3 era—mainly because I'd enjoy having a more compelling reason to replay my favorite games (and there's tons of them I might revisit if this was a thing). Hmm, I always assumed that I was weird for thinking this, but it's apparently a more common interest than I had imagined. Well, "nothing new under the sun" and all that.

Who wouldn't want to have a level 10 Shadow of the Colossus platinum, or something ultra cool like that, right? Realistic or not to implement, it's a really fun idea, but I'll have to settle with stacking my dearest titles for now, whenever possible. It's likely for the best that this feature doesn't exist, anyhow, since I'd expect it to make my completionist sickness dramatically worse. 🤪 I'd want high-level platinums for every good game, and neglect playing new stuff even more than I already do.

While you did mention not to get too deep into this, we would have to examine the outcome of a hypothetical like this. For instance Road Bustle Online just dropped in price to 1 Cent on the US Store...so basically anyone could buy that game once, and just plat it every 3-5 minutes over and over (and you know good and well someone would do it). So someone could just Plat Road Bustle Online 1000 times while only paying for it once...already the gaming industry is foaming at the mouth in disgust because the consumer would be winning out way too much on that deal. 

So I feel like the "prestige" idea would have to be implemented. So it would work to say that you could get ONE Plat however many times you want, rather than getting that Plat multiple times and adding to your overall total. 

Me personally, I wouldn't really utilize this. While I do replay the odd game every now and then it's usually when some time has passed and I want to revisit it, but I like the fact that it ends up on my list a second time for a second plat. I'm not really one who replays a game over and over. But barring it couldn't be exploited, then I wouldn't see a problem with it. 

Hypothetically is a fun idea that gives a perfect excuse to re-platinum some games but it will come with the inconvenience of players like me who sometimes replays a game just for the story so, for example, I will have the platinum of Kingdom Hearts and a 50% because I don't want to platinum it again.

On 4/24/2024 at 8:03 PM, Sofa King said:

The biggest issue I see, and the one that the OP doesn't want turned into a full blown discussion here, is that it opens a door to abuse the trophy system. I could see maybe a nominal fee, or a limit to how often you could in a certain time frame maybe helping curb abusing it to some degree.

i Started trophy hunting with trophies beeing implemented and i can asure you compared to how it started the trophy system is already fully destroyed and only kept alive by fanmade adaptations. In the beginning the intent actually was to collect many trophy and while there were some prestigieus games going for many was totally fine. nowadays with shovelware the going for many is pretty much pointless at least if you dont compete at the top level and people instead look at trophy rarities, series completions, completion rates. That beeing said would the current situation from a trophy hunter perspective at all change with Ops idea? i think not. without shovelware i am standing at 555 plats and i earn them at a rate that used to be viable for high leaderboard positions (beeing top 10 in my country back in 2016). but today i can compare myself to people that have 10k plats at the top. it really doesnt make a difference if its 10k or 100k plats. its 100% unachieveable by playing "normal" games to a point were its not possible to catch up in a lifetime of gaming.

were it could have negative consequences is on the rarity leaderboards. you would probably have to alculate them based on people that achieved trophies and not based on achieved trophies. meaning if i plat a game twice it should only count once for the rarity. and maybe you would have to implement a system that counts only unique ultra rares for example instead of total ultra rare count. otherwise people that get really good a super meatboy for example could far the games trophies which can with enough skill probably be done in like 5h and probably faster which potentiel inflate the rarity or inflate their ultra rare count to a degree were even the fanmade competitions are destroyed. 

that beeing said. i would really like such feature. i do often play ps3 and Ps4 versions of games or Ps4 and Ps5 version and this wouöd become obsolete with such system. beeing able to just play the ps5 version twice instead of having to  play a worse version at least once would be nice. the feature is something i have been thinking about in the past as well

I would not bother.

Even games I have played a decade ago that have been remade or remastered and have forgotten, I still can't bring myself to replay them again even on a different or better system, let alone the same one.

Examples are Tales of Vesperia on PS4, I played the PS3 one 10 years ago and loved it. Whenever the PS4 one went on sale I thought many times to buy and play it again, but never did. Same story with the Steins gate games, psycho pass VN etc....both super easy plats as well, I completely forgot the story as I played the vita games many years ago so it would be like playing a new game if I got the PS4 ones, as they often go on sale up to 80% off! But despite that, I just can't be bothered.

I don't know why, I am the same with books and movies as well, I was never the type of person to redo something done before, even if am a fan. I never understood people who rewatched Harry potter over and over, and the same goes for games

• Like 1

I would say no. Personally not interested in playing the same game same way just for trophies with the exception of very short and easy games.

5 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I don't know why, I am the same with books and movies as well, I was never the type of person to redo something done before, even if am a fan. I never understood people who rewatched Harry potter over and over, and the same goes for games

My case is strange. I could read the same books, watch the same movies for many times. But not for games. Guess books/movies are passive enough for me to accept the repeating process...