Microsoft is shutting down Tango Gameworks, along with 3 other studios

23 minutes ago, majob said:

Remember when Microsoft claimed in federal court for the ABK acquisition they wouldn't start laying their gaming staff off? Pepperidge Farm remembers

Well, the FTC’s case is ongoing and they pounced on that.

• Like 1

What a shame. It's not nice when game studios close, but the creative minds within the studios don't disappear, they find like-minded people and open new studios.

In other cases(not Tango) it should not be expected that studios that had success 15 years ago will be able to repeat this success even though hardly anyone from the team back then is still in the studio.

• Like 1

At this point any game studio should just stay independent. Once they get purchased. Doesn't matter if there the best dev or some game mill pusher. Just a matter of time till the reaper comes.

4 hours ago, ZenaxPure said:

People told me it'd be different this time. Microsoft would lift all these devs up and not ruin them like they ruined Rare.

Was I lied to? You really think people would do that. Just go on the internet and tell lies?

Reveal hidden contents

Do I need to add the /s? Hard to tell on the internet

Anyway, this sucks obviously. I hope this doesn't ruin the LRG physical release for Hi-Fi Rush in some way. It's really weird that LRG announced they'd be doing it and it has still yet to go up. I really want it for my action game shelf.

To be fair you can't say Microsoft ruined Rare, by the time they bought them there was little left of the original Rare team that made them great.

2 hours ago, vegetollo7 said:

Microsoft is definitely taking one right out of the old EA playbook. For shame.

Buy a load studios for the IP, fire the talent and then wonder why they can't make anything but sports games that do nothing but roster changes each year.

• Like 1

What a surprise... Oh wait, it's Microsoft, who bought companies for millions... Of course they were about to shutdown some studios...

In the end, I feel like they were only interested on the Fallout / Elder Scrolls / Starfield franchises.

Soon, they'll shutdown some Activision's studios.

Posted (edited)

No lessons were learned, and same mistakes are repeated, just like with Lionsgate Studios. Losing entire teams behind Hi Fi Rush and Prey hurts, especially after a claim that the former was a success in every metric. Not good Xbox, not good at all🤬

Edited by dimonemt
  • Like 2

The industry as a whole is in a really shitty place at the moment, and it's likely to continue this way (if analysts are to be believed) for another 1-2 years, but there's something about these particular closures that is extra shitty. I saw someone online say that Xbox is basically the American Embracer at this point given how they've historically handled (and continue to handle) studios they acquire, and I must say it's quite an apt comparison.

This industry is fine. You have to realize that there will be ups and downs, nothing goes straight up or straight down forever. 
The companies experiencing issues are the larger ones that bought up other studios during the boom that covid created for home gaming.

Nintendo didn't buy studios during that time and they aren't closing studios now. Tencent stopped buying studios around that time and they aren't closing studios now.  MS and Embracer are experiencing these issues because they overbought when they should have invested in making games instead of buying studios.

• Like 1